The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dan Hosford- Working Man's Retriever

Hey! That dog Lyric that is shown there was bred by me! I know that her owner Jen has been training with Dan quite a bit and really thinks highly of him.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie,
    Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

I met Dan years ago when he came out to judge a NAHRA test up in Wyoming ran by the Hidden Pines (back when there was NAHRA in this region) Great guy, very knowledgable, and very easy to talk dog stuff with. Folks up in NW are lucky to have him.

Greg
    Greg Floyd

GMHR/MHR/WR Conan of Texas (Conan) (Feb 1992 - June 2005)
    WR/SR Rippin Ruby of Mt. IDAK (Ruby) (June 1993 - January 2010)
    SR Conan's Mighty Titan of Texas (Titan)
    High Altitude's Rippin Roxanne (Roxie)
    Crazy Ms Daizy of Bear Creek (Daisy)
    P4P's Sure Shot Remington (Remi)

Meanwhile back at the ranch.......

Quote Originally Posted by retrevrman View Post
    I met Dan years ago when he came out to judge a NAHRA test up in Wyoming ran by the Hidden Pines (back when there was NAHRA in this region) Great guy, very knowledgable, and very easy to talk dog stuff with. Folks up in NW are lucky to have him.

Greg
    Those were what we in Cheyenne remember as "The good ole days"!
    canine n. Synonymous with courage, valor, trust, selflessness. If we learned to be half of what dogs are, the world would be a much better place

I like the show and have been DVRing it. I am sure it will help get some hunters off the couch and train their dogs a little more. The training tips are good, the goose calling during the hunts... not so much.

I have been a student of Dan's for many years now. Both of my goldens and myself for that matter are featured in his tv show, teaching videos etc... he has helped me become a much better trainer and handler. Even his videos are focused on the hunting dog, it all translates into the competition. I have enjoyed Dan for many years and am looking forward to hunting with him in the near future. Good investment.

I was about to start a thread on Dan and found this one, I have set my dvr this past spring to record his show, I have 63 of them on there lots of the same ones.

As stated above his show seems very true to life and not staged, I know this because it is basically boring and not much emphasis put into production, while it may not be Aesthetically pleasing it is very straight forward and easy to follow.

Having only had one lab and training it myself with really almost no research at the time, I have been looking at a lot of info here and anywhere I can find it since I am in the market for a pup right now. I am not interested in Hunt tests or trialing, my dog will hunt and hunt often and I find a lot of the discussion on here hard to follow and get lost in the terminology used here since I am not familiar with the training world. So for me it is nice to see very simple solutions to common problems with actual dogs having those issue's.

I have seen several of his shows on the sportman's channel. Never met him, but he seems to know dogs.

Do you have to order the dvds online? Or does he sell them locally here in spokane?
    Last edited by Wingman509; 02-01-2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman509 View Post
    Do you have to order the dvds online? Or does he sell them locally here in spokane?
    If you are local to Dan, you should give him a call. I bet he has some on hand and you can probably swing by and pick up what you need.

I have a bunch of these episodes saved on my dvr as well....waiting for some time to watch them.