The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant dog loosing appetite

Default Pregnant dog loosing appetite

I've whelped a few litters, but have a question for the more experienced breeders. My female is at day 48, and has stopped being interested in food. She will eat a few bites, here and there. Up until this point she has been a food maniac.. She doesnt act anymore uncomfortable than usual, ( My wife says she thinks she's going to have 20 because she is so big)I've never seen a dog at this stage just lose interest in food.. It really has me wondering if I should be worried. Its been going on for about three days.. I Would appreciate any advice or insight..
    Sean Bryan

Are you sure that you have your days correct in terms of count? She might be farther along than you think. I would start monitoring her temp just in case she is going into labor early. Sometimes with big litters going early is the norm (although this would be way too early). If she is below 100 I would at least start talking with my vet to make sure everything is ok.

Did you do progesterone prior to breeding? What was her level when you bred?

All of that said, I have had bitches start to lose their appetite early. I feed them smaller portions more times per day (up to five times) so they can fit the food in around the puppies.

Toni
    www.retrieverlife.com
    www.mistymountainlabradors.com

just had a litter of pups a week ago. Our bitch lost her appetite after a few weeks and then again about two days before she had them. She also quit drinking water the day before. I have tried feeding smaller protions, more times a day with success. Just not a lot of room in there with all those pups too.

I am so happy i found this thread!! The last 2 days Maggie who was bred OCt 14, 15, and 17th has only wanted to eat about half of her food and then will take a few nibbles in the morning but that is about it. I wanted to know is this normal? She is showing no signs of pregnancy but I was told that some dogs dont show until around week 6 or 7. just wondering if this is an early sign.

Thanks
    Last edited by JustinS; 11-10-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

I've seen dogs lose interest in food from day 21 to day 28, an old timer in this game years ago told me this was a sure way to know if they were pregnant. Did you change her food to a puppy type food, I've always done this so they will be more interested in the food and also gives them a good milk supply.....
    HRCH Ashes Winter Smith MH
    HRCH Jamie's Winter Blizzard MH
    HRCH Lone Oak's Gypsy MH
    HRCH UH Willson's Worth the Wait Kate MH
    HRCH King Henry's Tennessee Daisy MH
    GRHRCH LONEOAK'S THIEF MH
    HRCH UH KJ Just Cinnamon and Spice MHR (AKA Bon Bon Dog) Youngest HRCH (14 months), MHR (35 Months) and First Boykin Female MHR

Take her temperature. Normal is 101.5 give/take 1 degree for normal variation.103 or higher GO TO VET and 100 or lower either about to whelp or trouble. That said decilne in appetite is normal. I just worry if you truly are at day 48 you really have 2 issues to rule out. 1: uterine infecyion which will almost always show a fever and 2: whelping too early with premie puppies. Neither happens very often but take that temp so you can be on top of things! good luck.
    Laurie Thompson
    BriarField Kennels, Dunlap TN

Miss Mabel Marshdog CGC, TDI certified, canine blood donor (Lab, retired)
    Kerrybrooks That's A Fact Jack JH, RN (Lab)
    Int'l Ch Snips Tennessee Jed SH, NAVHDA NA pz 1(GSP)
    CH Briarfields Autumn Connection JH, NAVHDA NA Ps 2(GSP)

Small meals and puppy food but switch slowly are also important as mentioned.
    Laurie Thompson
    BriarField Kennels, Dunlap TN

Miss Mabel Marshdog CGC, TDI certified, canine blood donor (Lab, retired)
    Kerrybrooks That's A Fact Jack JH, RN (Lab)
    Int'l Ch Snips Tennessee Jed SH, NAVHDA NA pz 1(GSP)
    CH Briarfields Autumn Connection JH, NAVHDA NA Ps 2(GSP)

I am very cautious with a pregnant bitch that loses her appetite and wont eat - especially if she stops eating completely. Hypoglycemia can be a serious issue for her and for her puppies. Give her small, frequent, warm meals of very high caloric value that are soft and easy to eat.

For extreme cases I use Critical Care prescription diet (canned) that I get from my vet. I will warm it and mix with some puppy chow - if she turns up her nose to this, I add less chow and more prescription diet.

Good Luck

Mine didn't want to eat I had to mix goodies in , She liked a little cottage cheese or boiled hamburger.She was also on a high quality puppy food.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

If she does not start eating after 2 days get her into the vet. I had a pregnant female quit eating on me and she had Anaplasmosis. If I had not got her on antibiotics and force fed her, I would have lost both her and the litter. Although females will sometimes lose their appetite or even get symptoms of morning sickness, stay fully alert, a lot of things can go wrong during pregnancy and you need to be on top of it quickly.
    Torgslabs
    www.Torgslabs.com
    4XGMPR HRCH (GRHRCH pass)HRK ROOSTER SMASHER, MH, QAA
    STONEY BURKE, MH, QAA
    ERIK THE RED, MH
    HUNTING MEMORIES, SH "TANNER"