The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Goose decoys

Default Goose decoys

Anyone know where to get silo goose decoys that won't break the bank. Last week my dad was out hunting while I was at work. He went home for a lunch break and when he returned a few hours later, our decoy bag and all of our silo decoys were gone. Have to assume it was the other party of hunters that set up a short distance from us. We had been hunting in those fields since late Oct and no one had ever bothered our stuff before. This was the first time this group of hunters showed up and we haven't seen them since (probably wont either, the rat bast***s)

I was shocked at the price $150/dz for the outlaw silo decoys. Anything less expensive out there?

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Have you considered making them? Luaun plywood and house paints---saw pattern, water base paints, and one day and you will have your decoys. Not good at painting? Just make them "showy" (big white rump and big cheek patch), they will work. And flag the geese.
    Last edited by gdgnyc; 12-29-2012 at 12:37 PM.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

You can also make them out of the material that election yard signs are made from.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Ain't nothing cheap anymore... Probably the best Silos out there IMO are the Real Geese 2. Try looking on craigslist, every once in a while I see decoys listed..Just saw these http://hartford.craigslist.org/sgd/3420960601.html If you have no luck , send me a pm I could come out for a hunt and bring my stuff, .. Jim
    Last edited by Jim Person; 12-29-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

Thanks for the offer Jim. I like the idea about making them out of the election sign material. They have to be light enough for my dad to carry in and wood is just too heavy. Can you purchase that material at a craft or hobby shop?

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

The only other one that I know of are these http://www.bigalsdecoys.com/ cant give an opinion either way on these but Im not a fan of corragated materials. I can say We shoot alot of birds over the Real Geese silos
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Dawn I have some silos that I don't use. Let me check them out tomorrow and see what they are. Maybe we can work out a deal.

Wayne

Big Al's are corrugated, light weight , and look good. I bought a dozen, to compare to Real geese . I am happy with the purchase and at about half the price. Big Al's 80/dozen . Just my .02cents