The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab & English Pointer Mix

Question Lab & English Pointer Mix

My GF's niece and he husband has an 8 month old male that they are not taking care of. They keep him closed up in a crate (that has became to small for him) most of the day and get upset because he's too hyper around their two young kids. This and other things they are not doing to care for this dog correctly is upsetting my GF. They (GF's niece and he husband) had the dog up for sale and when that fell though they talk about taking him to the pound. She ask for my opinion and wanted me to do a little research on this breed. But I can tell by the look on her face that it may be going a little further then that.

What's was the goal in crossing these two breeds? "Labrador Retriever & English Pointer"

Are they water dogs?

What challenge does one face in training a retriever that spent its first 8 months living in a crate?

I had a client that had this mix, they were what we call Meat Dogs, that means they had good hunting ability finding birds and were better retrievers than pointers. I was Handling his Field Trial dogs in Shooting dog, and All Age which were tuned to win, these were American Field Pointing dog trials, where the dogs run big. When we hunted in Kansas, Tx and Oklahoma, We took always took the Meat Dogs. They worked close and we never had a day we didn't limit out. They were dogs that loved to hunt, Happy Tails.
    Last edited by Red Barn Retrievers; 06-19-2011 at 01:18 PM.

It's impossible to tell with mixes what characteristics they'll end up with. That is the point of having breeds- build and behavioral consistancy. You might get the best of both worlds and get a water retriever with a nose and ton of drive, or you might end up with a neurotic mess with no nose and joint problems. Or none of the above.

If you're interested in trying, it could be an awesome dog. I've met mixes who had a ton of natural drive. I picked my lab up from the pound, and he's a machine. He may even have some GSP in there, but I've gotten a lot of trainers and vets weighing in on either side- pure or mixed. With mixes or even purebreds of unknown origin though, it's just impossible to tell. Sorry if this offends anyone on here, but crossing breeds produces nothing but a dog of unknown potential and health.

I'm by no means a purist (aforementioned pound puppy who is my right hand man), but don't endorse intentionally breeding mixes. Most people who do don't do the necessary health clearances, and the product is just too unknown.

Those two breeds, I can't imagine what the thought was. I've seen a lot of ??? crosses though. Maybe a good nose and strong retrieve? Better house dog than straight EP?

Possible challenges are being older for things like conditioning or force fetch, if that was the avenue you'd want to take. Also, housetraining. I've fostered a bunch of older pointers, and un-housebroken adults in the sporting breeds are an evil i wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. They are difficult to train. He may be broken to not go in his crate, but as far as being polite in the house, that might be a challenge.

Good luck if you do take him on, and way to go for your GF being concerned!
    Lauren Burke
    ---------------------------------------
    "Sometimes you eats the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you." Daniel Boone, Davie Crockett, or a stranger at the bar?

If you have the room and can, give him a chance. He might suprise you. If not maybe you can find him a good home. Either way good luck!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Kristie Wilder

Please save the dog. The pound or "shelter" is a DEATH SENTENCE. Like Steph said, it may be a pleasant surprise. If he's been good in his crate, that's a good sign - I mean if he handled it well emotionally. The "hyper" side is totally understandable for a dog that's cooped up.

8 mos is still quite young in the scheme of things. I would bet that if you took him out to a fenced yard to just run and play, you would be amazed at the relief you could feel coming off of him.

We see it all the time in our rescues. My favorite time is after quarantine (where they're pretty confined for a couple of weeks to assess their health and prevent the spread of communicable diseases) and we can just take them out and let them run. It seems they know they're safe, protected and can relax. My favorite time in the world... Think about the gift you could give this dog. Even if you don't keep him -- collar condition him so he can be off-lead and respond and I can't imagine you couldn't find a great home that would appreciate that. We adopt trained dogs out for a $1000 donation, literally, that have been through collar training and folks can enjoy right away. It's awesome. I would say that's your worst case scenario -- that you could find him a great home that would appreciate him.

The only catch would be if he had some major holes in his socialization, but I think you would have mentioned those. "hyper" is just a dog that hasn't had exercise or a job...

GOOD LUCK! Please keep us posted.

Sounds like yall are going to take the dog anyways, my GF is the exact same way.

I have a lab/weim cross and it has worked out tenfold for me. Very amateur trainer, but I was able to get him to where I need him. HELL of a nose too. Sometimes we have to do a little more OB because his nose trys to get him into trouble, but I started with the mentality of OB OB OB and it's worked out well. He is soft so I have to tailor what we train to him, but it hasn't been too bad.

Good luck.

Sounds like yall are going to take the dog anyways, my GF is the exact same way.
    Yap! I over heard a phone conversation last night and most of it was focused more towards the dog. Statements like "All puppies are cute" & "Some dogs grow up to be pretty big". So last night we both agreed that we will take the dog! Now it's a matter of finding a way to get him from Port St.Lucie FL to Delaware.

I've been networking trying to work something out with a number of organization and have made some phone calls so we'll see what happens.

Any ideas will be help full.
    Last edited by Aries; 06-20-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries View Post
    Yap! I over heard a phone conversation last night and most of it was focused more towards the dog. Statements like "All puppies are cute" & "Some dogs grow up to be pretty big". So last night we both agreed that we will take the dog! Now it's a matter of finding a way to get him from Port St.Lucie FL to Delaware.

I've been networking trying to work something out with a number of organization and have made some phone calls so we'll see what happens.

Any ideas will be help full.
    Aries,

Submit a new thread on getting this dog from point A to point B. You may be supprised who is willing to help.

I would like to thank you all for the great feedback

I was about to dip into my GR fund and have Butler (more on the name later) flown up from FL until I came in contact with someone that will be making the trip in the 1st week of July. So as it stands I should have him sometime after the 4th. The good thing is this person has made this trip before with his own dog so it's nothing new for him to be traveling 22 hrs with a dog.

Now it's a waiting game.

Awesome! Kudos to whoever volunteered!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!