The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Dog Box

Default Dog Box

I am interested in a double dog box for my truck & am a little worried about putting a cold wet dog in an insulated box in the bed of my truck in cold temps. I get a lot of negative comments on the smell of my interior in the winter after hunting & would like to remedy the problem. Does anyone use these boxes & what type do you recommend?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Westfall View Post
    I am interested in a double dog box for my truck & am a little worried about putting a cold wet dog in an insulated box in the bed of my truck in cold temps. I get a lot of negative comments on the smell of my interior in the winter after hunting & would like to remedy the problem. Does anyone use these boxes & what type do you recommend?

thanks
    If you're worried about putting a dog in a metal dog box, why not go the cheaper route and just get one of those insulated dog crate covers meant to go over plastic crates?

http://www.gundogsupply.com/mud-rive...el-covers.html

Insulated or not, metal dog boxes are cold in the winter, at least until the dog has been in there a while and his body heat has warmed it up. It ain't rocket science. Sit on metal bleachers in the winter and sit on a plastic chair. See which one feels colder. My aluminum dog box has the door covers and I can close the vents but mine is also in the covered bed of my truck so I can all but eliminate wind exposure. The other thing you can do is buy an extra neoprene vest to keep in the dog box. That way, when you're through hunting, you can take off his wet vest, dry the dog off with a towel then put a dry vest on the dog.
    Last edited by J. Walker; 11-01-2011 at 09:23 PM.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Call Ainley and get an option sheet fill it out and get a quote. They will make you a dog box that will last your lifetime.

Dave
    canine n. Synonymous with courage, valor, trust, selflessness. If we learned to be half of what dogs are, the world would be a much better place

Quote Originally Posted by 2labs View Post
    Call Ainley and get an option sheet fill it out and get a quote. They will make you a dog box that will last your lifetime.

Dave
    Just got my Ainley box and couldn't be happier!

North Star Plastics Inc. No forms to fill out GREAT customer service! There sales rep answered all my questions right over the phone and gave me all the prices I needed, including a shipping quote! I cant wait!

I picked up ruff tuff kennels for my dogs. and Mud river kennel covers nice combo. the Ruff Tuff box box is rotomolded plastic and has a door that opens either way. Add the mud river kennel cover and your dog will be warm no matter what the outside temp is. I would recomend towelling him off before putting the the kennel.

I use Zinger crates and the dogs do very well in them. Find a used clothing store and buy a bunch of used blankets.(usually around $3). After each hunting trip, throw a clean one in.
    "Remember, it's about the Dog and the Dog work, it's not about you"

Quote Originally Posted by BigDog0554 View Post
    North Star Plastics Inc. No forms to fill out GREAT customer service! There sales rep answered all my questions right over the phone and gave me all the prices I needed, including a shipping quote! I cant wait!
    X2. I have a two hole and absolutely LOVE it!! I get tons of compliments on it. It has insulation and was built custom for my huge labs and my Tacoma long bed. Can't go wrong! Call Phil and he will take care of you! There website is northstarplasticsinc.com
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013