The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumper boys or wingers?

Default Bumper boys or wingers?

I'm about to purchase some remote throwers due to not having any help when I need it. What does everyone suggest? Wingers, buumper boys, combination of both? If bumper boys which ones? I have three dogs of my own.

Thanks

I asked this question not long ago of a friend of mine. He said the biggest problem with the BB is hiding them well enough that your dog doesn't bring back a bumper from the shooter. He said it was a PIA at times. FWIW.

Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues?

Wingers first as real birds are so important to training. BB for being able to get more sets in, in a short amount of time (before/after work). I have Derby Doubles which have worked great but you might something else with 3 dogs. Gets pricey but two of each for doing doubles is good.

Never had a problem with dog bringing back a bumper off a BB. Not sure what you'd do to prevent that but it would be a safety issue and something to correct for sure.
    George Billings
    And the gang: Missy, Tess and Scout
    Double Trouble with a shot of fun
    Aurora CO

I don't know where you are in your training but there are some drills, like decheating on water, where you need a bunch of throws from the same place. So if you always train alone a launcher that can make 5-10 throws from the same location, without reloading, is convenient. On the other hand, if you can occassionally find someone to throw for you, then you can do these kinds of drills on those days where you have a bumper boy.

I am training my first retriever using Lardy TRT (my pup is in transition), recently bought some wingers. I am thinking of springing for something like a bumper boy now for drills like this but since I'm inexperienced I really don't know how often I will really want one. I can get my family to help but somedays they are not available.

I'm hoping someone else comment on this.
    Last edited by mitty; 10-09-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Bumper boys and wingers...
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Blind View Post
    I asked this question not long ago of a friend of mine. He said the biggest problem with the BB is hiding them well enough that your dog doesn't bring back a bumper from the shooter. He said it was a PIA at times. FWIW.

Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues?
    I have Derby doubles and would always run the old dog first, young dog second so there were no bumpers for them on the launcher.

It could be a problem, I had a dog try to bring the whole works in. Once they get some experience, they don't bother them. I never tried to hide them.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

IMO, an amateur with a dog or two is going to outgrow a BB quickly as your dog advances and you want to throw birds. With a BB double at $700+ and the add on double units at almost $600 each, to run a triple you've already spent $1900. With 3 full size Gunners Up wingers you'll spend $1125 plus $650 for 3 TT releases and transmitter, you're at $1775. Not a huge difference, but when you consider the advantage of being able to throw bumpers or birds and the fact that the throws are much more "lifelike"...and are more like what you will see in a weekend test. BB's need much more care than wingers also, they'll need to be cleaned with solvent just like a gun every now and then and the gasket o-ring will dry out and break on you at bad times. Winger rubbers will do that too, but it is visually more obvious that it is about to happen. I can see BB being the way to go if you are a pro with a huge crew of dogs you may want to go with a few of the 12 shot BB's so you can just keep dragging dogs of the truck without having to go out and reload.

Another post mentioned the value of a BB when shooting a cheating single setup multiple times and that is correct, but you can also line up your 3 wingers in a row and accomplish the same thing.

Just my 2 cents.
    Chuck
    HRCH Porjay's She's No Debutante "Dixie"
    Wagzu's Red Solo Cup
    SHR Wagner's Courtin the Ducks "Beau"
    Rainbow Bridge - (Meat Dog Extraordinaire) Shoeless Joe Jackson II "Jax"
    www.wagzuretrievers.com
    www.facebook.com/wagzuretrievers

I have 3 dogs and use 3 12 shooters and also have 3 wingers. When training by myself BB are great. Mine usually are on the truck. Don't leave home without them. Definately need the wingers for test set ups. I seldom have to reload my BB in a training set up. Probably takes 15 minutes to unload, reload and set them up in the field. 12 shooters also have wheels. Bumpers are good size, very visable in sun or shade and dogs love to pick them up. Buy some Bumper boys you won't regret it.

Wingers. I have a four shooter and well I need 2 more of them. I could do a lot more 3 wingers and electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by wagnerc View Post
    IMO, an amateur with a dog or two is going to outgrow a BB quickly as your dog advances and you want to throw birds. With a BB double at $700+ and the add on double units at almost $600 each, to run a triple you've already spent $1900. With 3 full size Gunners Up wingers you'll spend $1125 plus $650 for 3 TT releases and transmitter, you're at $1775. Not a huge difference, but when you consider the advantage of being able to throw bumpers or birds and the fact that the throws are much more "lifelike"...and are more like what you will see in a weekend test. BB's need much more care than wingers also, they'll need to be cleaned with solvent just like a gun every now and then and the gasket o-ring will dry out and break on you at bad times. Winger rubbers will do that too, but it is visually more obvious that it is about to happen. I can see BB being the way to go if you are a pro with a huge crew of dogs you may want to go with a few of the 12 shot BB's so you can just keep dragging dogs of the truck without having to go out and reload.

Another post mentioned the value of a BB when shooting a cheating single setup multiple times and that is correct, but you can also line up your 3 wingers in a row and accomplish the same thing.

Just my 2 cents.
    I don't agree. Bumper Boys serve a purpose in advanced training, especially field trial training. I you're working on a long retired gun with a younger dog, for instance, and the dog starts to get outside the area of the fall, Bumper Boys give you the flexibility to hit the sound button or shoot another bumper to give the dog the confidence to stay in the area of the fall. If you use a winger and the dog ends up upwind of the bird or bumper, you have one option: handle. If you run a similar setup and the dog struggles again, you have one option: handle. Meanwhile, the dog isn't really learning anything and his confidence may be shaken since he's not having success without you physically intervening. If someone trains by himself, Bumper Boys can be worth their weight in gold for those long, difficult concepts.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/