The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog ripped off Toenail

Default Dog ripped off Toenail

So last night I let the dogs in and find my dogs paw was bleeding. I put the other dog up and started to find out what was going on. I see the nail and think ok this is going to be a quick fix. I started cleaning the area, got the cone of shame out and was going to fix her up. Then the bleeding kept getting worse, and the nail looked funny, like smaller than the rest.

That is because there was no nail, just the meat of the inside of the nail, the quick was fully exposed. I felt horrible, the cleaning process had to of made the pain pretty bad. So off to the E Vet and sure enough he confirmed, trimmed some hair, got it cleaned out the whole way, sent me on my way with some prescriptions and a hefty bill.

So anyone ever had this happen? If so how long was recovery? He said I cana remove the bandage after 2 days but to keep it covered as long as possible. There just seems to be no good way to keep her off of it.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

Yup; I've had it happen several times to the same dog each time. He just seems to always have "toe nail issues". Followed the same procedure you are following and it was cleared up in no time (week or two at the most- for my dog at least). I know it looks bad and you feel bad for the dog; but it sounds like you are doing exactly the correct thing. It was hard to keep the bandage on; I just gave up that fight after a bit; just keep it clean and give the antibiotics to prevent possible infection and keep your eye on it. Good luck!
    Patti
    ReedCreek Labs
    www.reedcreeklabs.com
    In Loving Memory 10/23/04 - 4/25/12 - CH LegaSea's Icing on the Cake, JH "Bonus"

Ransom's Alegria @ ReedCreek, MH (Qualified for MN (2x) "Alli"
    ReedCreek's Center Cut QAA ("Center")

"Beyond this place, there be dragons"
    "...Any new adventure is like that . . . throwing caution to the wind and facing the dragons."

Quote Originally Posted by ReedCreek View Post
    Yup; I've had it happen several times to the same dog each time. He just seems to always have "toe nail issues". Followed the same procedure you are following and it was cleared up in no time (week or two at the most- for my dog at least). I know it looks bad and you feel bad for the dog; but it sounds like you are doing exactly the correct thing. It was hard to keep the bandage on; I just gave up that fight after a bit; just keep it clean and give the antibiotics to prevent possible infection and keep your eye on it. Good luck!
    I would like to know how they can rip the whole thing off and leave the painful part. She seems miserable, but at least she is sleeping now with the pain pills.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

Be careful ( I am sure you will) as one dog I had got a terrible infection and was quite sick. Also, it may grow back funny. I HATE toenail issues.
    Dr. Sherman told me years ago to dremel the nails that got hurt, as they split faster than others.
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

I had this happen 4-5 years ago. My dog ripped the sheath of and just the quick was remaining. This was during a hunting trip and there wasn't a vet around for miles. I had some quick clot in a first aid kit and poured it on his nail. Bleeding stopped and all was fine. We continued to hunt for 3 more days. I cleaned it after every hunt and kept my dog kenneled most of the time except for hunting. He had no problems
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

Toenail issue cost me a run at the Grand title this spring. Blitz tore his with the quick sticking out the bottom the MORNING of the second series. Ah well, timing is everything.

To answer your original question. The quick usually receds within a couple of days. I have seen several toenail problems with dogs. The nail will grow back over the next couple of weeks. Keep an eye out for swelling and infections. The dog will tell you a lot - look for how much they lick the paw.

Good luck

Carol

Your lucky he ripped the whole thing off. Once you have had dogs that split their toenails down the middle you will understand. Its easier if they just rip the whole thing off. Kinda like a de-gloveing. I am fortunate my dogs wear boots in winter so they know to keep boots on. Duct tape the bandage if you have to. Quicks usually dry up fast if kept clean. If it smells funny or looks yellow or greenish soak it or use some anibiotic ointment to keep infection at bay.

just a side note....My curly's name is Qwik. She has split her nails numerous times and its such a PAIN! Her favorite time to do it is right before her last pass for a title. I was thinking of changing her Official name to "Sun Devil Split Toenail" since she already has the right call name!

I have her on gelatin and I think its helping....havent had many problems lately....knock on wood.
    Aubrey (WI)
    HRCH UH Light it up Blazin' Bell SH WCX 11 y/o F GR
    HRCH UH Sun Devil Seas Blazin' For Shore MH WCQ UWC 6 y/o F CCR

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverLuvr View Post
    Your lucky he ripped the whole thing off. Once you have had dogs that split their toenails down the middle you will understand. Its easier if they just rip the whole thing off. Kinda like a de-gloveing. I am fortunate my dogs wear boots in winter so they know to keep boots on. Duct tape the bandage if you have to. Quicks usually dry up fast if kept clean. If it smells funny or looks yellow or greenish soak it or use some anibiotic ointment to keep infection at bay.

just a side note....My curly's name is Qwik. She has split her nails numerous times and its such a PAIN! Her favorite time to do it is right before her last pass for a title. I was thinking of changing her Official name to "Sun Devil Split Toenail" since she already has the right call name!

I have her on gelatin and I think its helping....havent had many problems lately....knock on wood.
    Yeh I will be watching it closely after the bandages come off(48-72hours), I am hoping it goes smoothly and no more issues. My biggest concern is the chance of infection. She has a boot to go over the bandage when she goes outside.

I've had a couple torn toenails on dogs down to the quick...

I found the easiest method while healing was to take old socks, cut them to the appropriate height..and then vet wrap the top..

Socks Can be washed and changed out as needed when dirty or wet.

I use diluted betadine solution as a foot soak after the first few days.
    Last edited by frontier; 06-23-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

No help here but the mental picture in my head...dayum that has to hurt!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!