The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Cost of an MRI?

Default Cost of an MRI?

I am curious what the average cost of an MRI is? I've got a senior level dog that I am sure has tore his ACL.. I talked to the vet and they said that I was right in thinking he had torn his ACL.. They still recommend the xray, and if needed the mri.. The problem is there is no vets with an mri machine within a hundred miles of where I am located. Just curious how much the MRI is? Ive looked it up, and the only thing I can find for cost is about a thousand dollars.. I'm hoping this is wrong...
    Also not wanting to sound like the cheap guy, but the 3k for a ACL reconstruction is not possible for me right now.. Has anyone just rehomed a dog with a bad acl? Does it need to be fixed if they are just a house dog? I know ideally it should be fixed, but realistically? he doesnt act like he is in pain..
    Hope I dont get hounded to hard...
    Thanks in advance..
    Sean Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by simcoe mtn View Post
    I am curious what the average cost of an MRI is? I've got a senior level dog that I am sure has tore his ACL.. I talked to the vet and they said that I was right in thinking he had torn his ACL.. They still recommend the xray, and if needed the mri.. The problem is there is no vets with an mri machine within a hundred miles of where I am located. Just curious how much the MRI is? Ive looked it up, and the only thing I can find for cost is about a thousand dollars.. I'm hoping this is wrong...
    Also not wanting to sound like the cheap guy, but the 3k for a ACL reconstruction is not possible for me right now.. Has anyone just rehomed a dog with a bad acl? Does it need to be fixed if they are just a house dog? I know ideally it should be fixed, but realistically? he doesnt act like he is in pain..
    Hope I dont get hounded to hard...
    Thanks in advance..
    One hundred miles is not a far distance to drive for an MRI

Depending on the number of images needed, an MRI usually runs $1000 to $1500 for one view.

Since it sounds like you do not have insurance for your dog, another option you might consider is "Care Credit" which will loan you the money for your dog's care. http://www.carecredit.com/

It is my understanding that a dog with an unrepaired cruciate injury will have painful degenerative joint disease that will worsen with time.
    Last edited by jeff t.; 06-26-2011 at 04:32 AM.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Not sure where you're located, but here in MI the cost was close to $1,500, so I went to Ontario and paid closer to $750. The images were higher quality since the machine is located in a hospital for people. They allow multiple use, as long as dogs are brought in the backdoor and up the freight elevator. I believe it was a medical center located in Guelph. If interested, PM me and I'll dig up the name and phone number.
    FCR "Ransom" - Coastalight Toodoggone Much CD MH *** (2012 MN Qualifier and All-Age pointed!)
    FCR "Legend" - Ryvertowns More Than A Memory CD *** (QAA and 2011 FCRSA Field Trial Trophy Winner)
    LAB "Traitor" - All Out Gone to The Dark Side (QAA and Nat'l Derby List)

Go to a good orthopedic surgeon who has done a bunch of acl surgeries who can probably make the diagnosis without the MRI, and spend that money on the acl surgery. This is why I recommend all puppy buyers take out an insurance policy. Care Credit is a good option.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Thanks for the information...
    Sean Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    Go to a good orthopedic surgeon who has done a bunch of acl surgeries who can probably make the diagnosis without the MRI, and spend that money on the acl surgery.
    Good advice.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Simcoe Mountain? Do you live near Goldendale, WA?
    I suggest you find people here on RTF or who belong to Oregon or Washington retriever clubs who can recommend a good ortho surgeon in Portland.
    Worth the effort to find a doc who has done thousands of TPLO's. If your doc is recommending an MRI they probably have limited experience. Could be something else going on with your dog like miniscus tear but they can address that when they operate.
    Your biggest problem will be taking care of the post op rehab by yourself. I would educate myself about that aspect right away.
    Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Breck; 06-26-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

It was around $1400 at UGA two years ago.
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Simcoe Mountain? Do you live near Goldendale, WA?
    I suggest you find people here on RTF or who belong to Oregon or Washington retriever clubs who can recommend a good ortho surgeon in Portland.
    Worth the effort to find a doc who has done thousands of TPLO's. If your doc is recommending an MRI they probably have limited experience. Could be something else going on with your dog like miniscus tear but they can address that when they operate.
    Your biggest problem will be taking care of the post op rehab by yourself. I would educate myself about that aspect right away.
    Good luck to you.
    Breck, Yes I live in Goldendale.. Thanks for opening my eyes about the post op rehab.. I will start looking for info on that.. And finding out who in my area does the most tplo's..
    Sean Bryan

There are certainly some very good vet surgeons here in Seattle if you have any trouble finding the right doc in Portland. When my dog blew out her CCL in training the surgeon had no trouble diagnosing it with physical exam alone. Her TPLO results have been great.

Some pet insurance has long exclusion periods for the TPLO repair. they often won't pay for the first year of coverage!