The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's another game being played by your Congresscritters.

Default Here's another game being played by your Congresscritters.

How many of you think you just might be taken advantage of? Sadly, far too many fools and sheeple still don't quite get it.

Enjoy,

UB

Boiling frog alert: Congress wants automatic wage deductions to pay down the debt

by Simon Black ·

Folks… you just can’t make this stuff up.
    On July 6th, at least a dozen busybody Congressmen sponsored the introduction of HR 2411, the “Reduce America’s Debt Now Act of 2011.” They always come up with fantastic names for these pieces of legislation… and rest assured, the better/more patriotic the name, the more ominous the bill. This one follows the pattern.

HR 2411 states that every worker in America should be able to voluntarily have a portion of his/her wages automatically withheld and sent directly to the Treasury Department for the purposes of paying down the federal debt.
    Every employer making payment of wages shall deduct and withhold upon such wages any amounts so elected, and shall pay such amounts over to the Secretary of the Treasury…

That’s right. Uncle Sam is so broke that he wants to give all the good little Americans out there the opportunity to contribute an even greater portion of their paychecks to finance government largess.
    Desperate? Hmmm…. Don’t worry, it gets better.

Obviously, if an employee feels so compelled and should elect to have a portion of his/her paycheck withheld, the onus of responsibility is now on the employer to make it happen. The employer has to do all the paperwork, withhold the money, send the payment to the Treasury, maintain the account records, and probably submit to all kinds of new filing requirements.

You can imagine that, if passed, the bill will result in a host of new IRS regulations, complete with a battery of penalties for employers who don’t fill out the paperwork properly, submit filings on time, or make some administrative mistake.

Think about it: if a small business owner has one single employee who is dumb enough to think that it’s his patriotic duty to pay down the debt and decides to contribute $1/month, that owner will have the responsibility for all kinds of new forms and filings, plus submit to new ‘debt reduction audits.’
    But don’t worry, it gets even better.

So let’s say there are millions of sheep out there who elect to donate a portion of their toil and sweat so that the Chinese and big financial institutions don’t have to worry about an American default. How does Congress plan on rewarding its most patriotic citizens? By sticking it to them on their taxes, of course.

HR 2411 stipulates that any contribution made to the Treasury in order to pay down the federal debt IS NOT TAX DEDUCTIBLE.
    “The [Treasury] Secretary shall include. . . a reasonably conspicuous statement that any amounts deducted and withheld from wages. . . are not deductible as charitable contributions for Federal income tax purposes.”
    Imagine this scenario: You make $100,000/year. In a fit of complete insanity, you decide that you want to withhold your entire annual salary to pay down the debt. Hey, you can always move in with mom for the next year, right?

Well guess what– Uncle Sam will gladly take your money… and then STILL expect you to pay taxes on the $100,000 that you earned, so you’d have to come out of pocket with an additional $40,000 or so.

Don’t worry, though. The Social Security and Medicare wages are reduced by the amount that you withhold, making you only liable for state and federal taxes. Seems like a good deal, eh comrades?

There are so many things utterly wrong with his piece of legislation, it’s hard to know where to begin other than by saying that such intellectual and philosophical perversion is only capable of springing from unprincipled sociopaths whose sole capability is the destruction of value.

There’s a great quote from Atlas Shrugged that comes to mind which sums this all up:
    [W]hen you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; when you see that men get rich more easily by graft than by work, and your laws no longer protect you against them, but protect them against you. . . you may know that your society is doomed.

We’ve discussed the story of the boiling frog so many times before– a frog, when put into a pot of water and slowly brought to a boil, doesn’t realize that he’s in danger until its too late. I think the boiling frog just got a little hotter. Have you hit your breaking point yet?
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

its voluntary so what is the issue?

The issue would be inflicting penalties on employers ... when they are not "volunteering".

But I sure do wonder what such a contribution would not be tax deductible to an employee?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    So is voting for these idiots...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    So is voting for these idiots...
    Your idiots or some other? JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post

Someone just told me that social security was started out as a volunteer thing also ! I know that my family used to say that when soc. sec. first started that only those earning well above average would be required to pay into it. "frog slowly heating in water regards"

I know the government would not keep it voluntary.

Many times I have talked to people who think we should be paying more taxes. Always telling me to look at Europe and Canada. I always have to say I'm not impressed with the system in Europe or Canada, but I tell them if they feel so strongly they can always move or send the IRS some extra money. If they are worried that the IRS will be confused they can always pay on my behalf. We always seem to owe on April 15th, even though we are having a large chuck coming out every month. Pull the money out of your pocket and stay out of mine. It is not charity if you force me to give.

Terri

I know the government would not keep it voluntary.
    Of course, it couldn't remain voluntary. Same reason as Obamacare. At least they (legislators) did figure that out by the time they proposed Obamacare.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I looked at all the co-sponsors. From what I can see, they are all republican. It seems that maybe they are stepping up for guys like me who moaned and complained about the Bush tax cuts. When I said things like we can't afford the tax cuts & that it was just going to run up the deficit, I had many a conservative tell me that I can just go right ahead and send the feds just as much as my little heart desired. As if I'm some kind of dumb arse who is going to send my hard earned money to Washington while all those conservative deadbeats spend their tax savings on stuff like computers, big screen tv's, dog trainers, and other such extravagances.

Most of these guys are freshman tea party types. It is refreshing to see ya'll complaining about their stupidity for a change...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I looked at all the co-sponsors. From what I can see, they are all republican. It seems that maybe they are stepping up for guys like me who moaned and complained about the Bush tax cuts. When I said things like we can't afford the tax cuts & that it was just going to run up the deficit, I had many a conservative tell me that I can just go right ahead and send the feds just as much as my little heart desired. As if I'm some kind of dumb arse who is going to send my hard earned money to Washington while all those conservative deadbeats spend their tax savings on stuff like computers, big screen tv's, dog trainers, and other such extravagances.

Most of these guys are freshman tea party types. It is refreshing to see ya'll complaining about their stupidity for a change...
    If you think some one is a dumb arse for sending more money to Washington then why are you asking me to do it? What do you think happens when you tax? If I buy a computer, big screen tv, or pay a dog trainer I do not see how that makes me a deadbeat. I would call that capitalism. I should have the right to choice how I spend my money. Spend your money anyway you want, just stay out of my pocket. I think you should look up the definition in Webster's, not Urban for the meaning of deadbeat..

Terri