The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Success without swim-by

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    I guess that is where we differ. I don't want a dog to think "more water". I want them to think, go where sent.

If I send a dog for the water, they better get in. If I send them OUT OF THE WATER, they better get out.

I want a dog that runs from point A to point B without thinking of avoiding the obstacles in their path. Whether that be water obstacles or land obstacles.

In several of the Qs this year on the West Coast, a MULTITUDE of dogs have gone out on the LAND blind because they were "out of balance". They ran shoreline LAND blinds and the dogs wanted to bail to the water. Could not keep lots of the dogs OUT OF THE WATER.

I want a dog that feels comfortable to be either in or out of the water.

I do other drills that give the dog the freedom to get out of the water or IN THE WATER on marks.

Handling, go where I send you and carry the cast until told to change direction.

WRL

Personally I like this philosophy. 4th series Master test yesterday was a water triple with a blind along the shore on land. Heard more than one complaint about that blind because the dog was taught to get in the water and many of them did. If you ask me that is over teaching one concept. Why not go as sent be it land or water?

Quote Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
    There is a little know professional trainer, from Arkansas I believe, who has had a little bit of success in the HT game without doing swim-by. His name is...
    Chris something...
    Oh yea, Chris Akin.

Well maybe some of you have heard of him after all.

Anyway, the answer to your question is yes there are folks who don't do swim-by who have sucess in HT. The deal though is, most of us ain't Chris Akin.
    Hey Dex, does Bill and Bobby do swim-by...? Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I think you are missing the point. The point of swim-by isn't for you to have straight returns through water, the point is to have a built-in tool in training to reinforce the more-water correction. Depending on the dog, you may find the need to use this tool many times throughout that dogs life. I have all age dogs that will sometime break for shore on a return and I use swim-by to remind them of our high water standard. I do this because it carries over to the line out on a retrieve, not because I'm worried about them cheating on a return in a hunt test or field trial.

John

I liked this response.

A dog that has a tendency to cheat the return, will have the same tendency to cheat on the way out.. THAT habit on the way out,, CAN cause trouble..

I think its good to a point where a dog sees water,, it thinks I Must get in,and stay in,, until he is directed otherwise.

With new dog of mine, I wont let her cheat the return despite what the Judges allow.

Again,, consistency and standards..

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Probably been a while since Bill did but it is in his program and Yes Bobby does the Swim By.

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    Hey Dex, does Bill and Bobby do swim-by...? Steve S

Thanks Dex for the reply...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I liked this response.

A dog that has a tendency to cheat the return, will have the same tendency to cheat on the way out.. THAT habit on the way out,, CAN cause trouble..

Gooser
    And when you see that tendency you're seeing an important part of the nature of that dog. I will affect his water work again and again. That is what water force & swim-by affect over the long haul.

More water...not less. If you can dim a dog's dry-mindedness you can more easily maintain a reliable standard of water performance. Handling on return can, and often is used to adjust how a dog negotiates his return route, and that's helpful. Coupled with well chosen applications of swim-by, it helps more.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile