The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNM In the US?

Default CNM In the US?

Does anyone know of a lab that tests for CNM here in the states?

Just got info on " Animal Genetics, Inc."
    OFA is recognizing their results too. I'm going to give them a try....
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Why Billie? I believe what Marilyn Fender is trying to tell us... that there is more to testing for CNM than meets the eye. Why risk a bad result just to go to a local lab that did none of the research?

Checked out Animal Genetics, they claim they are a leader in DNA testing..they are in Florida..
    Sent my swabs to DNA Diagnostics Center (DDC) ,they claim to be a recognized world leader in DNA testing.. they're in Ohio.
    So why would Marilyn Fender's lab be better than the ones that are in the USA ??

BobbyB
    cajun

Marilyn Fender works with the University in France that came up with the test. Not all the steps/double checks were published so the other labs did not quite get all the info.
    Marilyn said carriers would be the most likely to show up as a false clear, and that is what happened to my friends dog, DDC sent back a certificate with a clear result when the dog was in fact a carrier. The French University got it right on the first result. It was a good thing my friend did not breed his dog based on the false clear he received..
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

Quote Originally Posted by kzunell View Post
    Marilyn Fender works with the University in France that came up with the test. Not all the steps/double checks were published so the other labs did not quite get all the info.
    Marilyn said carriers would be the most likely to show up as a false clear, and that is what happened to my friends dog, DDC sent back a certificate with a clear result when the dog was in fact a carrier. The French University got it right on the first result. It was a good thing my friend did not breed his dog based on the false clear he received..
    So you're saying that the results from France are 100 % correct all the time ??
    How did your friend find out that there was a mistake on their results ?

BobbyB
    cajun

Senior Member Richard McCullough's Avatar

For myself, I will stay with the labs that identified the disorders and have the only white list of clear dogs. I cannot see were saving 10.00 or 20.00 (EIC) on a lab that may fail to test properly only to have to send another test in to the correct lab.
    Send your sample into the lab in France(CNM) or MN (EIC) and have piece of mind that the testing will be done correctly.

Bobby, for myself, if I send a sample to the lab that identified the disorder, then my mind is at easy the testing is done correctly. on a side note, if it is not, the other labs in my mind cannot be relied upon to prove differently. If I sent my sample to another lab, then there would that level of uncertainty if the results are correct or not, and after Reading some prior posts on DNA testing, I will stick to the proper labs.

So, people will do what they want despite advice given. I guess until a litter is born that all or most test as effected will the point really get across. Maybe
    Last edited by Richard McCullough; 07-17-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks Richard..I have already sent samples to DDC...checked on OFA website and they list them on their website..You are right though now i'm worried about results....would like to know How they found the mistake from that other thread..not planning on breeding dog until in Dec or Jan...

BobbyB
    cajun

I have a couple girls that I'll have tested for the yellow gene in the next year or so. So what? It's really not a big freaking deal if THAT test is wrong. EIC, CNM and PRA-- hell YES, it is a big deal if you are dealing w/ a Carrier and breed inadvertantly to another Carrier.

Do a search here on the topic or on Marilyn Fender. Alfort HAS caught some mistakes by other labs on their CNM testing. For as cheap as it is to send swabs to France, I am not going to sneeze over that. I have another 2-3 to test in the near future, and they'll go to Alfort, even though I think they too will come back clear. Here's a link: http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...lyn+fender+cnm
    Last edited by windycanyon; 07-17-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Wasn't the idea of the money...just figured since it was in the USA that it had less chance of getting lost..I sent a birthday card to a grand daughther who lives in Virginia that was in March got it in May !!!!!!

BobbyB
    cajun