The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Field Trial Judging

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Default Field Trial Judging

You and your co-judge have set up a blind. At the last minute, your co-judge says "challenge the line to the blind", and then says, "I want to see all 4 feet dry on the far point" or "I want to see the dog through the slot" or whatever. If you say it, do you live with it and does any dog that is not "high and dry" a flat-out failure? I realize it is best to NOT say anything and let the line to the blind speak for itself. However, once said, do you drop dogs that don't get all 4 feet high and dry on the far point--or any other "stipulation" that you/your co-judge has made? Do you have a step in your judging process where you look only at the blind and determine if it is a failure, prior to taking marks/previous work into consideration?
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

First if my co judge made a statement like that, I would follow up with " we perfer you hit xyz". Second yes I think a dog/handler team can fail a blind regardless of prior work. Wouldnt an extremly poor blind be just as much reason for elimination as the dog who pins two marks and handles or gorilla hunts and stumbles on the third?
    Last edited by MikeBoley; 05-25-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama

I believe that as a judge ,If you say it mean it ...It isn't fair to the contestants to say one thing and then not back it up .....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    I believe that as a judge ,If you say it mean it ...It isn't fair to the contestants to say one thing and then not back it up .....Steve S
    Agree 100%, don't say it unless you plan to enforce it

I chose not to say anything like that....put out a red stake or ribbon....put a bird infront of it...and let the line to the blind be clear enough that anyone would not need to ask. If you say "it" and no one "it"...do you drop everyone? or scrap it?

I would be pxxxxx as hell that he didn't discuss it with me first.

That said, you now have to judge it that way. -Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

I would have talked with the Co prior to that while setting up to be sure a statement like that was not made.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Don't say it! I have seen trials where the judges said something like that, presuming it would be a challenge but not impossible, only to watch the first fifteen dogs go down in flames before people started skirting the danger. At the end of the series they maybe had one or two dogs do it the way they asked, a bunch of failures who picked up after trying to do it "right" and some that completed a reasonable water blind without hitting that one danger point. Then what, stick to your guns and only call two back to the fourth series? Much better to not paint yourself into a judging corner. Just set up the blind and let the handlers play it the best they can.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Don't say it! I have seen trials where the judges said something like that, presuming it would be a challenge but not impossible, only to watch the first fifteen dogs go down in flames before people started skirting the danger. At the end of the series they maybe had one or two dogs do it the way they asked, a bunch of failures who picked up after trying to do it "right" and some that completed a reasonable water blind without hitting that one danger point. Then what, stick to your guns and only call two back to the fourth series? Much better to not paint yourself into a judging corner. Just set up the blind and let the handlers play it the best they can.

John
    But it was said and several dogs completed the blind successfully, are you therefore not obligated to those contestants to judge the blind according to the instructions given. What about the handlers who complied and picked up, do you reward the handlers who did not do the blind according to the instructions given by your co-judge?

And if you are not so obligated you have no choice other than scrapping the blind.

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Default Field Trial Judging

Do you think that carrying dogs that have "failed" because they didn't get "high and dry" and are carried is why handlers get frustrated with field trial judging--when these "failed" dogs are carried to the next series? Often times, failure to get the hazard or attempt to get the hazard makes the blind much easier because you are not casting into the hazard, casting away from the hazard, or letting the dog roll. Do you have a step in your judging process where you look only at the blind and determine if it is a failure, prior to and without taking marks/previous work into consideration? Is this an important step to use in the judging process?
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.