The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Vocal at Line Correction, My Version

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Stan,

I'm glad to hear you were able to get a talented dog under control and have a plan going forward. I think things will really start to click for the 2 of you now.

It was also nice to see you acknowledge those who helped you. We all need outside help at some point. There are some very generous folks on this forum.-Paul
    Paul,
    As the saying goes "I didn't know what I didn't know."
    I was so fortunate to find people that genuinely wanted to help us.
    And they did.

I am grateful, and they know that.
    Stan b & Elvis

It was great meeting you this past weekend Stan.

Thanks again for everything…Scrub and I need all the help we can get and we greatly appreciate the help from you, and everyone else, along the way.
    If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver.

Flyin High in the Passenger Side CD RN CGC - "Scrub"

K&D's Sweet Romancer RN CGC - "Eddie" - newest member of the family.

High Flying Storm Trooper - Trooper (02/25/03 - 07/26/09) - He gave us his all - We miss you big guy...run and play...

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Kerr View Post
    It was great meeting you this past weekend Stan.

Thanks again for everything…Scrub and I need all the help we can get and we greatly appreciate the help from you, and everyone else, along the way.
    It was a pleasure to meet you too, Donna.
    I hope you had a great time.
    You have a terrific dog!!!!

It is about to start getting interesting for you!!!

YOU 2 can do it!!!!!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Great thread and great story, Stan. Victory by effort and perseverance! So glad you are a judge and contributing so positively to the sport and it's newcomers!

Jennifer

I also have a vocal lab 1 1/2yrs old. She is vocal at the line and also just after she is sent---the more excitment the more vocal----it's definitely a stress reaction. I tiied the approach sugestted and the line manners improved but she still barked when leaving the line. I noticed that her stress almost disappears if she holds a bumper. So I have had her hold a bumper----watch the mark (which she does very calmly---no squirming)---have her give me the bumper before sending her-------no bark when sent-----then tons of praise. The holding the bumper seems to reduce the stress. I was going to keep this up to see if it will break the reaction. Does this make any sense to you Pro's. Thanks

The bumper in the mouth approach works for awhile as a band aid approach BUT the end result will result with a noisy dog..Randy
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

I just want to add some perspective.
    I have recieved a few pm's and e-mails on this.

You can't take 1 aspect of this procedure out of context, try it at 1 training session and have everything fixed.

To put this in context, I have been following and building on this for 2 years.
    And I still concentrate on this issue above evrything else, everyday!!!

EVERYDAY!!!

There is no instant fix for this.

JMO
    Stan b & Elvis

Thanks very much for you reply, I figured the bumper in the mouth would be to easy a fix. I do understand this is a long process but my little girl has so much talent it's worth the effort. Today singles with duck call at the line. She heeled to the line quit calm-----no noise. I am getting a little cry on release but I am allowing that in/as my standard.
    I will check back in at the end of the summer-----decided no HT,s this year until I get this hopefully fixed. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Craig

Stan, great post. Glad I came across this, I have had this problem begin creeping up on us as we get into bigger group training days and as excitement climbs (would hate to see us at an actual hunt test :/ ). I was trying to correct the problem in a combination of the things you suggest, but also some you suggest we don't use...needless to say I will be using your systematic approach to work more methodically with my girl on this in preparation for fall!
    Thanks, Matt
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

The problem with trying to fix noise and control issues at every training session is that you never get to train and advance your dog. When teaching a dog something new you like to start the day where you stopped the day before, fixing noise is a 90 day process for worst cases only,most should be 60 days. As always when correcting get in get out and move on...Most likely after a day or 2 off from training the dog may try to push your buttons again but the fix to put them back into real time again is about 30 seconds...get in get and move on...Randy
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"