The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade winger pictures and information

Default Homemade winger pictures and information

On another thread I mentioned that I would start a new post with homemade winger information, so here it is.

First and foremost, Kwicklabs and other RTF members deserve the credit for the winger and electronics design. I just took their already established ideas and added what I thought were a few good modifications. Here are a few pictures and a general description of the ones I put together.

The back legs are 42", front legs are 48", the support leg is 30", the top is 18" square, and the base is 22" across.

A couple pictures show how I made bushings instead of rotating cylinders for the hinges. The bushings were made from 3/4" straight fittings cut in half, which fit over 3/4" pipe but inside the 1" T fittings. All of the PVC pipe is 3/4".

There are two pictures of the electronics boxes. The picture of the outside of the box shows a siren on the top, an on/off switch on the front, and a trailer connector on the side. The six channel transmitter is laying in front of box. The picture of the inside of the box shows the two channel receiver, a 12 volt rechargeable battery, and the wires that connect everything.

The primer assembly was made from the design on Kwicklabs website except I zip tied the rubber bands behind the 1/4" to 1/8" fitting so that I did not have to unhook them every time I reloaded. I also located the primer assembly on the base instead of one of the legs. The assembly is shown in a couple pictures.

The picture of the base shows the door lock actuator and the bow release system as well as another bushing system which allowed me to glue everything together instead of having loose joints held together with zip ties. The bushing system also allowed me to add short legs to get the release system up out of the grass.

The transmitter and receivers were ordered from Cary-mart, the batteries were ordered from Battery Shark, the sirens, switches, and wire were purchased at Radio Shack, the pipe, fittings, and hardware were purchased at Menards, the bow releases and door lock actuators were purchased from e-Bay, and the pouch, pulleys, and tubing came in a kit from Dogs Afield.

If you need more detail, let me know.

Kendall
    Attached Images Attached Images

I didnt see the other thread yet but was wondering whats the farthest youve used them at and how far do you estimate they throw a wet mallard?

Thanks

I have used them at over 150 yards. Range depends upon the electronic equipment you buy. I bought a 1,000 meter transmitter and receivers with an external antenna. They are rated using a straight line of sight, which never happens. I would like to think they would go half their rated distance, which is twice what I need.

I didn't use a tape meansure, but stepping it off they will throw a wet mallard 23 yards. I had to add a shorter set of hooks to throw dummies as they would go sky high.

Thanks,
    Kendall

Thanks for posting Kendall
    Danny H.

I made some of these 4 years ago and used them pretty heavily. For electronics I bought Dogtra with the idea of upgrading when i had the money. They worked great and definately served thier purpose. If you plan on upgrading to a zinger or Gunners up in the future look at buying your electronics now it allowed me to pay as I had money.
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Danny,no problem. If you have any questions let me know.

Eric, I have the same thought. I am going to use the homemade electronics for a while then upgrade to commercial electronics. There is nothing wrong with my electronics, but it would be more convenient if mine would match the rest of the training groups. I like the my winger's performance, so unless something changes I'm going to stick with them.

Kendall,

What do you think these would cost to build without the electroniocs?
    Would you be interested in building a couple of these to sell?
    I have a couple of new Tri-Tronics releases but don't have wingers (and cannot really afford new), and don't really know how the releases would be hooked up, as I have never used these before as far as setting them up. A friend of mine has some, but I have only seen them in operation once and did not pay attention to how they hook up (and he does not live real close by).

Thanks

I was able to build mine for about $80 using pouches from Zinger, Theraband and bow releases and door actuators from EBay.

It never ceases to amaze me that the 2004 thread on PVC wingers still generates interest. One of the early questions revolved around "How could this PVC structure/design hold up?" and Doesn't PVC flex too much?"

The prototype wingers that were built in 2004 are still working. The electronics are original, too. Here's a photo of the eight year olds used in a training session on April 17, 2012. They've been used extensively in the training of my four dogs. The only components replaced are the batteries and rubber bands.

"the four original Kwick Wingers"
    Jim Boyer KwickLabsii.com

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me that the 2004 thread on PVC wingers still generates interest. One of the early questions revolved around "How could this PVC structure/design hold up?" and Doesn't PVC flex too much?"

The prototype wingers that were built in 2004 are still working. The electronics are original, too. Here's a photo of the eight year olds used in a training session on April 17, 2012. They've been used extensively in the training of my four dogs. The only components replaced are the batteries and rubber bands.

"the four original Kwick Wingers"
    Hey Jim,

Is that camoflauge duck tape around those wingers? I like the looks rather than my white wingers.

ALSO, I made my wingers from KwikLabs design and I agree, they are very sturdy and not had problems. However, here is a winger PVC made from conduit

http://media.photobucket.com/image/c.../Winger046.jpg
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC