The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Signs of heat exhaustion!?!?!?!

Default Signs of heat exhaustion!?!?!?!

I've done a LIL searching here and haven't come across a thread that has any title or info of what to actually look for for HEAT EXHAUSTION in our 4 legged loved ones!!!! I realize that we all need to watch our dogs closely since it is headed into the heat of the summer, but I'm sure from one dog to the next every situation is a lil different. That being said what would be wrong with a post that people could post on of different things,signs they see in there dogs that others can read and may keep track of and be able to look back on for reference?? Maybe end up making a "sticky" out of it?? Like in the "sticky" above peoe mentioning the "tongue" size and color?? Ok so what about the tongue do we look for?? Another mention of the redness of the eyes?? Maybe some RTF'ers that are VETS will chime in and post what the signs and symptoms are!! Im just a first timer here and with my pup, but i do watch closely as my pup is a "NASCAR" and Ive got a learners permit if you will so i for one am not completely sure of signs or symptoms!!!! I just tend to STOP to be safe than SORRY even if its just 1 mark short or long as i am in NO hurry for her to be her best that we can make her!!! As Chris Aiken says "Crawl Walk Run"!! I caution on "I'd Rather be SAFE than SORRY"!!!!!! Dont cut me down if i just didnt search out enough cause again this is my first rodeo with a pup!!!! Thanks Jon

I've had a dog go down to heat exhaustion/near stroke. Her tongue was very wide and flat, she was staggering like a drunk. I was able to get a hose on her asap and got her body temp to ~103-104F, but her body temp had been so high she still started into mild convulsions once we got to the vet. To contrast w/ EIC, the recovery time w/ heat stroke is a matter of hours, not minutes and can do organ damage.

There is a sticky on the topic at the top of the page.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I saw and read the sticky. Just thought people could share things they noticed with there dogs that others could watch for as well. And most of WHAT IT IS THAT A PERSON NEEDS TO WATCH FOR ex there tongue does WHAT EXACTLY and there EYES DO WHAT EXACTLY?? I myself DON'T KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO LOOK FOR!?!?!?!? I just stop way short prolly on side of CAUTION!!!!!!!!!

I have been schooled to watch the tongue. When it gets wide and flat, particularly when it starts to curl up, and gets closer to a very light pink as opposed to bright red, you need to stop and get the dog cooled down.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by rookietrainer View Post
    i have been schooled to watch the tongue. When it gets wide and flat, particularly when it starts to curl up, and gets closer to a very light pink as opposed to bright red, you need to stop and get the dog cooled down.

thats exactly the kind of replys i was thinking of and wanting to see!!!!!!!!!!!