The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Electronics for Homemade Wingers

Here are the instructions for changing the mode that I was sent by carymart. I figured out the reason that nobody can get to the website I posted earlier for the CaryMart receivers is because they must have updated them. I emailed CaryMart about a month ago to get the part number for the appropriate receiver (I explained my purpose), and that is how I came up with the part number for the current model in the above post. Hopefully the programming is still the same. If not, let us know and maybe somebody with a similar model number can help you out. Here is what came with my receivers....CaryMart1.jpgCaryMart2.jpg
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Jeremy, are you getting a 9v battery to operate the actuator sufficiently?

Lets hear some opinions on those guys that are using the 12V system. I will be quite honest; I went with the 9V system because I figured 9V batteries were smaller, lighter weight, and just seemed more convenient. However, they wear out pretty quickly, and since I did not buy the rechargable ones, it is becoming quite expensive. I get about 2 days worth of hard training out of them, and then they need replaced. I will likely get the lithium ion rechargables in teh near future, and will update everybody once I do. In hindsight, it seems to me like the 12V system may have been a better idea...

Straight-Gut- I am getting a 9V battery to operate the actuator sufficiently. I actually am running (2) 9 V batteries in parallel with the actuator. I can get a single battery to work the operator pretty well, but lasts even shorter amount of time. If you havent invested in the 9V system, I would wait to hear some feedback on the 12V system. If you have already invested in the 9V, it may be a good idea to use rechargables...hope this helps.
    Last edited by jecartag; 03-08-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

i got the 9 but then i realized that the actuators are rated for up to 12 and i wanted to be able to run my receiver, speaker, and actuator off one batter without it draining so i sent an email and had them change it to 12V

i'm using the 315Mhz for the wingers. it doesnt really matter. next time when i build my launcher's i'll go with the 433 since i'm likely to be using them at the same time. if you have any buddies with the same setup make sure you dont use the same Mhz. its like when my dad flew RC planes you went over to the cupboard at the airport and grabbed a chip with the frequency on it that no one was using that way someone else didnt have control of your plane.

Roughly how much are ya gonna have in four wingers w/ elect. and sound?

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    i'm using the 315Mhz for the wingers. it doesnt really matter. next time when i build my launcher's i'll go with the 433 since i'm likely to be using them at the same time. if you have any buddies with the same setup make sure you dont use the same Mhz. its like when my dad flew RC planes you went over to the cupboard at the airport and grabbed a chip with the frequency on it that no one was using that way someone else didnt have control of your plane.
    haha, talk about a marking test!
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Straight-Gut: I recently made a set of wingers for a buddy; I have a generic price list saved on my computer. I made a set of 3 wingers, and the cost per winger came out to be APPROXIMATELY $175. I did some very rough rounding, but I would suspect that this would be very close to the actual cost. This included the cost of the electronics and the Piezo siren from radioshack.

Speaking of sirens, has anybody used something like this with any luck? The peizo siren I am using is nice for younger dogs at close marks, but it seems like once I get outside of 40 or 50 yards, I cant hear it.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...r=267-7054&utm
    Last edited by jecartag; 03-08-2013 at 02:13 PM.
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Thanks Jeremy, I read Kwicks thread about these a while back and your recent posts got me back on the task.
    Gonna try and order the electronics part for 4 and get to buildin.

Quote Originally Posted by STRAIGHT-GUT View Post
    Roughly how much are ya gonna have in four wingers w/ elect. and sound?
    if you dont have any kind of hardware stockpile (pvc, nuts, bolts, zip ties, etc) on hand like i didnt then around $600-650

electronics 180
    pouches and rubbers 200
    actuators, bow release 75
    pvc, hardware, zip ties 150-200

but considering i just saw 4 used ones plus electronics for 1825 then i think i came out ahead. especially when you look at new prices.

i would reccomend only attempting this if you have access to major power tools. i went to my dad's house and we had to use his band saw, mitor saw, belt grinder, drill press, and his foot pedaled dental drill (he uses it for jewelry work). we used kendell stefensen's design

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    if you dont have any kind of hardware stockpile (pvc, nuts, bolts, zip ties, etc) on hand like i didnt then around $600-650

electronics 180
    pouches and rubbers 200
    actuators, bow release 75
    pvc, hardware, zip ties 150-200

but considering i just saw 4 used ones plus electronics for 1825 then i think i came out ahead. especially when you look at new prices.

i would reccomend only attempting this if you have access to major power tools. i went to my dad's house and we had to use his band saw, mitor saw, belt grinder, drill press, and his foot pedaled dental drill (he uses it for jewelry work). we used kendell stefensen's design
    Not familiar with that design but I'm assuming you made them out of steel or aluminum and not pvc.