The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Electronics for Homemade Wingers

Straight-Gut: No problem, glad to help.

To follow up with Blake's last comment...sounds like he did a much better job than I did. I used two power tools: a jig-saw and a power drill. My wingers are probably not as precisely built as blakes, but I have not had any problems with them.

My winger frame design is very similar to Mr. Boyer's, aka, KwikLabs, and all the credit goes to him!

I used 1/2" PVC for main frame...was unsure about its sturdiness, but it has held up just fine. I have also seen the frame made out of 1/2" conduit. Be creative with what you have, and do waht you have to do to make it work!

Good luck, and let us know if you run into any problems. This forum is full of people who are way smarter than I am, but I will help you out with what I can!

Here is a picture of a winger I found made out of EMT conduit. I have had this saved to my computer for a few years now, and did not build this myself. I dont remember where it came from, but could be another idea for those who have experience bending EMT.

EMT Winger.jpg
    Last edited by jecartag; 03-08-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Quote Originally Posted by STRAIGHT-GUT View Post
    Not familiar with that design but I'm assuming you made them out of steel or aluminum and not pvc.
    no used pvc. kendell's design

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...omemade+winger

the band saw was to cut the bushings in half. we felt more comfotable cutting a small fitting with a less RPM saw than the mitor. the mitor was used for cutting dimensional pvc. we also used the band saw to cut the metal rod for the primer assembly. belt gsander was to grind off these little ridges on the fittings that kept them from sliding in the 1" T's (see thread above for applicational purposes). also used belt sander to grind metal bar to a point for primer assembly. drill press to drill straight hole through pvc for bow release, actuator, hooks and metal rod for primer assembly. foot pedaled dental drill to drill tiny little hole through bow release trigger to tie fishing line too (that plastic is hard to drill through!)

i will say these might not be required tools but it sure sped up the process we went from the first one in 2 hours to the next 3 we were cranking out in 35 minutes or less
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 03-08-2013 at 02:39 PM.

ok thank you . when i rec my electronics in the mail i just opened the up and started wiring like the example 1 shows was i susposed to rest the rec to mometary like it says in the dircretions .thank you again i have no idea what i am doing when it come to electronics. i uselly just throw away any thing with directions. lol
    Last edited by bird barrel; 03-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Has anyone tried using a Duck Sound board in place of the Piezo Siren?

ex. Qkits FK254 PCB Duck Sound Board

Quote Originally Posted by James Wick View Post
    Has anyone tried using a Duck Sound board in place of the Piezo Siren?

ex. Qkits FK254 PCB Duck Sound Board
    I might try those for that price. Wonder how loud it is?

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    no used pvc. kendell's design
    Just to give credit where it is due, that is Kwick's design.

i wasnt even going to put the speaker except my Mon.-Fri. training grounds is in the city and i cant pop off a 209 shot so thats what the speaker is for just to get him looking that way. i dont really care what sound it makes. although i wouldnt mind having a tritronics buzzer sound instead of an alarm

the HRC guys may want that though.

oh i knew it was kwik's design except the difference is that kendell used this rotating bushing and made his bigger. i'm pretty sure all homemade pvc winger's are based on kwik's design. this is just kendell's version of kwik's.

Great information Jeremy! You have put alot of time on here helping people.
    BTW.. Great picture of Scout watching those birds!

jeremy thanks for all your help i see your kankakee river hrc member.i belong to the saint clair flats hrc and all i hear is how good of hunt test your club puts on hope i can make one this year if not next year for sure

Tom P - Thanks! It was made by Mr. Todd Caswell! Very nice of him to do that for me!

Bird Barrel - You are welcome. Any time! Dont hesitate to ask if there is something I may be able to help with. I have only been with KR HRC for a couple years and have been nothing but impressed. Couldnt say enough good things about the club and the guys in it. Alot of nice people with a lot of nice dogs! My hunt test experience is limited, but I do know that at the last 4 hunt tests I have been a part of with HRC, a lot of work is put in (as I am sure that is the case at most places). Hope to see you in the near future!
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC