The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: yellow and chocolate breeding

There are color variations in the yellow coat; but most of the time yes; a Dudley is a pretty strange looking lab; I think it's the pink eye-lids; that make them look so shocking. If You get the pink Eye-lid with the chocolate (yellow =-crazy eyes); you got a freaky looking pup (especially a young one); however the eyes-eyelids usually darken ~8mt-1yr. and while you can still tell they are Dudley up close it's not that obvious at a distance.

A lady publicizing a Dudley like that probably bought it from one of those Breed for a Dudley type (intentionally) Breeders; those ones usually are the most shocking.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-06-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

My dad had a Dudley yellow female. Not the most desirable looking dog. She had light yellow coat, pinkish nose and yellow eyes. Wonderful dog but one you had a sheepish smile when showing her to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I used the search function for once! Lol. I gal I was chatting with in line at the grocery store noticed my CBR sweatshirt and asked if I had them. Yup, I do. She says I must be a hunter. Yup, I do alot. She was talking a lot and started on about her Dudley. It didn't register at the time this was not what she'd named her dog. I get checked out and head to the lot and she's putting her cart away as I'm walking out and she asks if I'd like to see her Dudley. Sure, why not?

I stop at her SUV and I instantly realize "Dudley" is not the dogs name yet, what it is... It had to have been the worst looking yellow lab I've ever seen. It's face was nearly pig skin pink and the eyes looked weird. So, I try to give the dog a pat on the head to appease the lady and get away without much more chat on her dear Dudley.

my question, are the Dudley's that lightly pigmented all the time or would that description be on the extreme side?
    Too funny Paul!!!! A true Dudley imo, is a non pigmented yellow and I agree, they are pretty homely. They are what are termed "eebb" or Yellow = ee coated Chocolates.
    But..... "they" (eebb's) don't all have to be homely. In my first litter (a yellow to a black), I got a rather cute one. Here is Jake who imo, is just a confused chocolate who got the wrong colored coat at the checkout counter!:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I used the search function for once! Lol. I gal I was chatting with in line at the grocery store noticed my CBR sweatshirt and asked if I had them. Yup, I do. She says I must be a hunter. Yup, I do alot. She was talking a lot and started on about her Dudley. It didn't register at the time this was not what she'd named her dog. I get checked out and head to the lot and she's putting her cart away as I'm walking out and she asks if I'd like to see her Dudley. Sure, why not?

I stop at her SUV and I instantly realize "Dudley" is not the dogs name yet, what it is... It had to have been the worst looking yellow lab I've ever seen. It's face was nearly pig skin pink and the eyes looked weird. So, I try to give the dog a pat on the head to appease the lady and get away without much more chat on her dear Dudley.

my question, are the Dudley's that lightly pigmented all the time or would that description be on the extreme side?
    Proving that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that love is blind. Otherwise who would ever buy a show-bred lab. (Having said that... I think my little female is the sweetest prettiest thing at the Hunt Test, cow-hocks and all.)

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    Proving that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that love is blind. Otherwise who would ever buy a show-bred lab. (Having said that... I think my little female is the sweetest prettiest thing at the Hunt Test, cow-hocks and all.)
    Ive worked a few show labs that turned out to be fast learners and excellent in the duck blind. One had a best of breed at a young age. Still gets hunted in rough conditions in salt marshes. Birdy little dog.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 11-07-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Actually you can get dudleys from any crossing of the Labrador colors, provided the individuals both carry chocolate and yellow. Two triple factored blacks can produce all colors including both black and pink nosed yellow. My dudley is actually brown pigmented. She is a dark yellow. Its all in the genes. I have never heard of anyone having very much trouble selling a dudley. If anything they can make great pets. Focus on health clearances, ability and compatibility.
    Last edited by Lucky Kentucky Labradors; 11-07-2013 at 08:45 AM.