The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Economy in Shambles?

[quote=Gerry Clinchy;835735]
    Lest we forget, though, such increases can also stimulate more black market activity (from states with lower cig tax to states with higher cig tax).

quote]
    Not just cig taxes but also state sales and gas taxes.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    Does that still mean that 49% of the people in this country don't pay any taxes? I mean I hear that figure a lot from the conservatives who find it convenient not to include those types of taxes. Do they count?
    Conservatives love it when the wealthiest among us and the corporations don't have to pay taxes. They hate it when the "lucky duckies" don't have to pay.

See lucky duckies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_duckies
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Does that still mean that 49% of the people in this country don't pay any taxes? I mean I hear that figure a lot from the conservatives who find it convenient not to include those types of taxes. Do they count?
    The taxes you speak of 100% pay, the taxes conservatives speak of ONLY 51% PAY. Simple sweet and acurate if you don't mix apples and oranges.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hester View Post
    Anyone who thinks we don't have horrible inflation has to be smoking crack!!
    I'm not talking about government propaganda inflation. I'm talking about real inflation; gas, groceries, clothes, medicine, utilities, etc., the essentials of life, which our F'd up government does not even include in their inflation numbers. Between gas, groceries and cigarettes, I need a second job just to keep up.
    Do you have a source saying that gas, groceries, clothes, medicine, utilities etc aren't figured into inflation numbers?

I would find that hard to believe.

However I would believe anything from Washington nowadays.

Those great statesman who were all pontificating {rather than solving} for the past couple of months about fixing the nations staggering debt problem.

These same great statesmen then went on paid vacation BEFORE fixing the FAA funding issue. The waste they are arguing about costs taxpayers 16 mil a year. The revenue they are losing out on is about 300 million a DAY.

Some even suggested that the laid off FAA employees come back to the job without paychecks in the interest of loyalty. All the while while the congresscritters who caused the problem are on PAID VACATION

Im sure the airline lobbyists are very pleased that their bought and paid for congress is helping them in this windfall

Vote all the bastards out!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    The taxes you speak of 100% pay, the taxes conservatives speak of ONLY 51% PAY. Simple sweet and acurate if you don't mix apples and oranges.
    It is a misleading figure. Sure, it makes a great soundbite but if you look into the figure just a little bit it is not what you think it is. It is based on if you are over 18 .What about college students who don't work or the indigent or the unemployed who do not even cross the threshold of earnings to pay taxes. How about that family of 4 below the poverty level ( $ 22,050) or disabled, including veterans. It is just not what it is made out to be.

It is a misleading figure. Sure, it makes a great soundbite but if you look into the figure just a little bit it is not what you think it is. It is based on if you are over 18 .What about college students who don't work or the indigent or the unemployed who do not even cross the threshold of earnings to pay taxes. How about that family of 4 below the poverty level ( $ 22,050) or disabled, including veterans. It is just not what it is made out to be.
    Misleading? No they are facts. The college kid who doesn't work? They can work too and I and many like me did. Family of 4? Maybe they should have remained a family of 2 or maybe even 1 until they could afford to be a family of 4. Disabled? kThe gov. has never been in the charity business. What they are in is using OPM(other people"s money) to regulate and control. Charity is the business of the individual and comes from the heart. Charity is to help those WHO THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN find themselves in dire circumstances. The people of this country who have ben blessed have no trouble helping those. The gov. today even resents such help, evidenced by the POTUS wanting to even tax charity. Why to allow the gov. to regulate and control and make those truly in need to be dependent on the gov. for help.

I suspect that those who feel that it is the gov. place to give charity are those that choose not to offer their time and/or resources themselves.

Cotts135, I believe I know where Watertown is. You can correct me if I am wrong. It is right across the Hudson River from NYC. Right after college, I took a job with the Dept. of Commerce doing real estate sales surveys traveling all over the country. My first town to visit was Watertown and I was there about 2 months. I was on a per diem expense account and was reimbursed after filling out an expense account at the end of the month, so I had to pay my expenses out of pocket and wait for reimbursement. The wait for the money was taking a long time and I was running out of money. I knew that once I got the first expense check then I would be fine. I was calling Washington daily asking about the check and was down to eating only one meal a day at McDonalds. Staying in a little strip motel close to the Hudson River, I finally reach the point that i could no longeer pay for the room. I went to the office and told the owner my situation. I then told him that I could pay for the room tonight but I could not pay for the room tomorrow night. He told me not to worry about it and just pay him when I got my expense check. Relieved, I started to leave. As I was leaving, he called to me asn asked me if I need any money. I told him no, I had enough to eat on. I have no idea what his name was nor do I know what he looked like but I have never forgotten him. People like him are eveywhere, you only have to open your eyes and see.

Please forgive my typing. Very seldom do I proff read and I hope you see my mistakes as typographacal and not gramatical.

I very interesting article if you really want to be depressed: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine..._id=rss_search

The graphs copied below give a pretty dismal view of what the future portends.

Last edited by T. Mac; 08-07-2011 at 04:17 PM.

I think the size of the spending column is the problem.
    Bill Davis