The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Fly Outdoor Control ?

Default Deer Fly Outdoor Control ?

My Dad tells me the Deer Flies have been pretty ferocious in Northern Wisconsin this summer. They (deer flies) have been especially keen on his black dog, seeming to show a bit of mercy on the yellow dog. So bad, they have been unable to enjoy their daily walks out around the property. He called me, to ask if I knew of anything that could help with the problem.

I logged in here at RTF, did a search and read Angie's and Vicky's post, which I will forward on. The mentioned products sound like the ticket for an indoor environment. I'm sure Dad will wanna give these products a try.
    However, the real problem is in the outdoor area around the property ...

Anyone know of any remedies to curtial the Deer Fly activity in a larger outdoor area ? Perhaps burning something (smoke) ? or maybe just a bunch of these Misting Timed release units located around the yard.

Thanks, and yes I still look in to see who's doin' what from time to time.
    Unfortunately, still "no room at the Inn" for a real dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullets Dad View Post
    My Dad tells me the Deer Flies have been pretty ferocious in Northern Wisconsin this summer. They (deer flies) have been especially keen on his black dog, seeming to show a bit of mercy on the yellow dog. So bad, they have been unable to enjoy their daily walks out around the property. He called me, to ask if I knew of anything that could help with the problem.

I logged in here at RTF, did a search and read Angie's and Vicky's post, which I will forward on. The mentioned products sound like the ticket for an indoor environment. I'm sure Dad will wanna give these products a try.
    However, the real problem is in the outdoor area around the property ...

Anyone know of any remedies to curtial the Deer Fly activity in a larger outdoor area ? Perhaps burning something (smoke) ? or maybe just a bunch of these Misting Timed release units located around the yard.

Unfortunately, still "no room at the Inn" for a real dog.
    Sounds crazy but it works......

The deer flies can be pretty unbearable here in late June/early July and several years ago they made training almost impossible. Driven inside I got on line and look for some way to deal with them.

A couple deer fly facts:

Breed in water.

'Attack' in groups of 3-7 usually.

Most attracted to the color royal blue.

Tend to be attracted to the highest location. [bummer when you're 6' 9"!]

So here's what you can do. For your relief take a ball cap and get some royal blue plastic 16oz party cups. Punch a couple holes in it and ziptie it to the cap upside down so you look like a crazy cone head. Then spray the cup with this http://www.planetnatural.com/site/ta...p-coating.html it's super tacky like contact cement but doesn't dry.

The flies are attracted to the blue color and the high point and stick to it like crazy. On a day when their really bad I'll have as many as 100 stuck to the cup at the end of the day. So many in fact that flies are now landing on flies and don't stick, time to replace the cup.

Sure, you look like an idiot but it really really works. You'll notice at first they're flies around you but a short time later there will only be a couple...then none. You can hear em hitting the cup and buzzing as they get stuck. PLEASE don't tell PETA!

Everyone laughs when they see the cup hat for the first time but in about 10 minutes they're asking if there is an extra they can wear..........

The cup hat is locally famous and I've made a couple for some local folks that are allergic to deer flies.

Ever notice how deer flies swarm around your rear view mirror area when you drive slowly their an area where they abound? I take a 1 gallon [blue] plastic paint pail [sprayed with the stick stuff] and suspend it from a dowel with a finish nail in the end, quickly bungy cord it so it sticks up above the [outside] rear view mirror. Driving around the training pond or kennel you can actually reduce the number of flies in the area for a while.

I've tried sticky cups on dowels around the kennel but while they trap some, I think movement is important so the cap cup and truck pail work best.

Don't make me post a pic of my hat.....just try it.

Equine supply stores sell "roll on" fly repellent that seems to work down the top of the muzzle to keep deer flies away.
    Last edited by Alec Sparks; 08-09-2011 at 09:21 PM.
    I believe initial introduction 'pinch to open' FF doctrine is as progressive as shooting a dog with bird shot to get it to sit on a whistle. AS

*"That you are confused is VERY APPARENT. Are you a politician as well as a FORMER pro dog trainer who QUIT because YOU think that the trial game is all wrong?"

Alec, what's the name of the sticky stuff? The link just went to an empty shopping cart. And I'd love to eliminate some deerflies!
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Alec, what's the name of the sticky stuff? The link just went to an empty shopping cart. And I'd love to eliminate some deerflies!

I fixed my link/fail.

Here it is again.

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/ta...p-coating.html
    I believe initial introduction 'pinch to open' FF doctrine is as progressive as shooting a dog with bird shot to get it to sit on a whistle. AS

*"That you are confused is VERY APPARENT. Are you a politician as well as a FORMER pro dog trainer who QUIT because YOU think that the trial game is all wrong?"

Alec - Sounds like the Deer Flies are pretty rough in your neck of the woods too.

Thanks for taking the time to share your secrets. I'm not quite getting it though ....
    You know the ol' saying .. A picture is worth a thousand words. C'mon, please.

Becky (Dad's wife) says, Skin So Soft on the dog "kinda" helped a little, but I think they need to try that Blue Cup Hat deal, or maybe place a few Blue glue cups around the yard and especially the airing areas.

Oh come on....a picture would be so more "useful" (entertaining)!!

I'm allergic to the suckers, might have to try the blue cup trick.

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Deer flies and horseflies are horrible this year in Ohio. The cup trick sounds like the ticket. Also to keep them off your dog wipe them with apple cider vinegar.

Our ACE Home & Garden center has the tree stuff called tangle foot and it is meant to trap bugs crawling up the trunk of a tree(its real sticky). I put it on an overturned royal blue bowl that I mounted on stick attached to the ROPS on my tractor and they don't bother me when I am doing yard work. I have the cups for the hat idea but vanity so far has precluded me from wearing the cup thing.
    Glynn
    It's all about the blue
    Deuce
    Pistol
    Mr Quick
    Mjolnir's Cassie QFTR JFTR - Cassie
    Mocha 2000-2013
    Jet
    Katie
    Blackstorms Code Breaker - Cypher 2004-2009
    Hunter
    Blackstorms Pull The Cord MNH - Tug 1999-2009
    Nightwatch Better Bear*** - Bear 1999-2003
    Black Storms Zip it up SH - Zip
    Dubh Storim Errigh -Storm 1991-1993
    Honcho's Hitman*** GMHR - (Gunner) 1981-1996
    Blaze 1994-2005
    Sam 1988-?
    Alyse 1986-1997
    Thor 1985-1988

And you thought I'd be crazy enough to model it......

Value added content:

History of me in photos as background.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullets Dad View Post
    Nice to see ya, Chris. Hope you've been doing well.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com