The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: Costco remove plug-ins for electric cars-No usage

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krmont22 View Post
    no matter what time these vehicles or charger were institutionalized, the problem Getting the power on the road itself is a problem. To date, no one has created a lightweight, compact battery capable of covering average driving distances without recharging from a stationary source. In plainer words an electric car can do the job but it won't get you far...!
    That is true with electric cars that have no onboard generator. However, vehicles like the Volt, with an internal combustion engine used as a generator, have an indefinite range, much like a diesel locomotive. All of this technology is in its infancy. The current batteries are smaller, lighter, and provide a charge longer than batteries of just a few years ago. At some point, there may well be a battery capable of supplying a charge over a much longer distance.

  2. #32
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    That is true with electric cars that have no onboard generator. However, vehicles like the Volt, with an internal combustion engine used as a generator, have an indefinite range, much like a diesel locomotive. All of this technology is in its infancy. The current batteries are smaller, lighter, and provide a charge longer than batteries of just a few years ago. At some point, there may well be a battery capable of supplying a charge over a much longer distance.

    This may be of interest. Still has those pesky engineering issues to overcome...

    New battery design could give electric vehicles a jolt

    http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/f...ries-0606.html
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  3. #33
    Senior Member bbmclain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    142

    Default

    You are holding the Volt up as a success story?!?!?!?!? I sure hope not....

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bbmclain View Post
    You are holding the Volt up as a success story?!?!?!?!? I sure hope not....
    I was not holding it ups a a success story, only an example of technology, and how it works. The verdict is still out on Volt. Volt is just now being rolled out for sale to the entire country. The market and customer demand will determine whether or not it is a success.

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    This may be of interest. Still has those pesky engineering issues to overcome...

    New battery design could give electric vehicles a jolt

    http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/f...ries-0606.html
    That is certainly an interesting new way of looking at battery design. Hopefully they can overcome the engineering issues and make it a reality. It would certainly have a lot of applications.

  6. #36
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,144

    Default

    It was announced today that Solyndra is making a comeback... they are buying the Volt from Government Motors. They are going to power them with solar panels. The Obama administration has agreed to give them 500 Billion for this exciting new opportunity. There is even talk of a wind powered model, with sails in various colors...
    Bill Davis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •