Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Labor leaders must pay for parade if GOP banned, mayor says

Default Labor leaders must pay for parade if GOP banned, mayor says

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77T64220110830

http://tinyurl.com/3hke2yq

By John Rondy
    MILWAUKEE | Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:04pm EDT

(Reuters) - The mayor of a Wisconsin town said on Tuesday a local labor council would have to reimburse the city up to $2,000 for a Labor Day parade if organizers exclude Republican lawmakers from attending.

The move in Wausau, Wisconsin, came after a county labor official said last week that Republican politicians were not welcome at the event due to their party's stance against collective bargaining when state lawmakers voted to curtail it earlier this year.

- more -

I'll sent the labor council $100 to help them cover costs. I'm sure there are many others like me.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I'll sent the labor council $100 to help them cover costs. I'm sure there are many others like me.
    So.....in YOUR America, not everyone is welcome???

Interesting.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Will they, would they, also exclude anyone from attending who happened to vote for a R?

If it were a private event, it would seem they should be able to exclude whomever they wished. If it is a public event, does not seem it should be exclusionary.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Will they, would they, also exclude anyone from attending who happened to vote for a R?

If it were a private event, it would seem they should be able to exclude whomever they wished. If it is a public event, does not seem it should be exclusionary.
    Nor should it be financed with taxpayer funds.
    Which is the issue!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Nor should it be financed with taxpayer funds.
    Which is the issue!!

RK

Which is why I said that I would contribute to putting on the parade.

Do you even know the history behind labor day? I'll help...

Labor Day: How it Came About; What it Means

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.

Founder of Labor Day

More than 100 years after the first Labor Day observance, there is still some doubt as to who first proposed the holiday for workers.
    Some records show that Peter J. McGuire, general secretary of the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners and a cofounder of the American Federation of Labor, was first in suggesting a day to honor those "who from rude nature have delved and carved all the grandeur we behold."

But Peter McGuire's place in Labor Day history has not gone unchallenged. Many believe that Matthew Maguire, a machinist, not Peter McGuire, founded the holiday. Recent research seems to support the contention that Matthew Maguire, later the secretary of Local 344 of the International Association of Machinists in Paterson, N.J., proposed the holiday in 1882 while serving as secretary of the Central Labor Union in New York. What is clear is that the Central Labor Union adopted a Labor Day proposal and appointed a committee to plan a demonstration and picnic.

The First Labor Day

The first Labor Day holiday was celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882, in New York City, in accordance with the plans of the Central Labor Union. The Central Labor Union held its second Labor Day holiday just a year later, on September 5, 1883.

In 1884 the first Monday in September was selected as the holiday, as originally proposed, and the Central Labor Union urged similar organizations in other cities to follow the example of New York and celebrate a "workingmen's holiday" on that date. The idea spread with the growth of labor organizations, and in 1885 Labor Day was celebrated in many industrial centers of the country.

Labor Day Legislation

Through the years the nation gave increasing emphasis to Labor Day. The first governmental recognition came through municipal ordinances passed during 1885 and 1886. From them developed the movement to secure state legislation. The first state bill was introduced into the New York legislature, but the first to become law was passed by Oregon on February 21, 1887. During the year four more states — Colorado, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York — created the Labor Day holiday by legislative enactment. By the end of the decade Connecticut, Nebraska, and Pennsylvania had followed suit. By 1894, 23 other states had adopted the holiday in honor of workers, and on June 28 of that year, Congress passed an act making the first Monday in September of each year a legal holiday in the District of Columbia and the territories.

A Nationwide Holiday

The form that the observance and celebration of Labor Day should take were outlined in the first proposal of the holiday — a street parade to exhibit to the public "the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations" of the community, followed by a festival for the recreation and amusement of the workers and their families. This became the pattern for the celebrations of Labor Day. Speeches by prominent men and women were introduced later, as more emphasis was placed upon the economic and civic significance of the holiday. Still later, by a resolution of the American Federation of Labor convention of 1909, the Sunday preceding Labor Day was adopted as Labor Sunday and dedicated to the spiritual and educational aspects of the labor movement.

The character of the Labor Day celebration has undergone a change in recent years, especially in large industrial centers where mass displays and huge parades have proved a problem. This change, however, is more a shift in emphasis and medium of expression. Labor Day addresses by leading union officials, industrialists, educators, clerics and government officials are given wide coverage in newspapers, radio, and television.

The vital force of labor added materially to the highest standard of living and the greatest production the world has ever known and has brought us closer to the realization of our traditional ideals of economic and political democracy. It is appropriate, therefore, that the nation pay tribute on Labor Day to the creator of so much of the nation's strength, freedom, and leadership — the American worker.
    The parade is organized by the Marathon County Labor Council. Here is the statement they issued in connection with the Labor Day Parade.

The Wausau Labor Day Parade is a time to celebrate the working men and women of Wisconsin. It is not a political event or stop on the campaign trail. It is a time for working families to come together to celebrate their hard work and a time where we recognize the labor movement for all they have given us -- the weekend, the 40 hour work week, child labor protection, a safe work environment. It should come as no surprise that organizers choose not to invite elected officials who have openly attacked worker's rights or stood idly by while their political party fought to strip public workers of their right to collectively bargain.

Randy Radtke
    President Marathon County Labor Council AFL-CIO
    I don't see why the organizers should feel obligated to provide a forum for those who are attacking them to politic in a parade on a day that was founded by the labor movement to honor the American Worker. If the issue is public money, then maybe folks should belly up to the bar and fund it with private money, which is what I offered to do. I know you dislike every aspect of the labor movement, so I'm wondering why you would even lift a finger to observe it or care about the anti-labor politicians that you support being able to use labor's day to promote themselves and their anti-labor message.
    Last edited by Buzz; 08-31-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Which is why I said that I would contribute to putting on the parade.

Do you even know the history behind labor day? I'll help...

The parade is organized by the Marathon County Labor Council. Here is the statement they issued in connection with the Labor Day Parade.

I don't see why the organizers should feel obligated to provide a forum for those who are attacking them to politic in a parade on a day that was founded by the labor movement to honor the American Worker. Only public union members are considered American workers in your world?? If the issue is public money, then maybe folks should belly up to the bar and fund it with private money, which is what I offered to do. I know you dislike every aspect of the labor movement,You do?? so I'm wondering why you would even lift a finger to observe it or care about the anti-labor politicians that you support being able to use labor's day to promote themselves and their anti-labor message.I have absolutely NO issue with it, just don't use public taxpayer money.
    So, in YOUR America not everyone is welcome??

BTW--They are using public money to finance the insurance for the event.
    If it is not open to the public, then no public money should be used.

Please tell me you get that, please????

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

So, in YOUR America not everyone is welcome??

BTW--They are using public money to finance the insurance for the event.
    If it is not open to the public, then no public money should be used.

Please tell me you get that, please????

RK
    You don't get what I'm saying at all. Not worth my time to pursue it any further. I have work to do...

You don't get what I'm saying at all. Not worth my time to pursue it any further. I have work to do...

Oh I get exactly what your saying.

You want to use my money to fund your party.

And in YOUR America, not everyone is welcome.

It is very clear.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Oh I get exactly what your saying.

You want to use my money to fund your party.

And in YOUR America, not everyone is welcome.

It is very clear.

RK

No, not at all. I got in touch with the Labor Council and offered them $100 toward expenses so that they could forgo any public funding to support their event. It doesn't matter anyhow. The Labor Council buckled under the pressure from Wausau's mayor, so it's a moot point. Enemies of labor will be provided a forum at the event.