The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jobs Speech conflicts with Republican Debate

Quote Originally Posted by TN_LAB View Post
    Rumor has it that Peggy Joseph wrote the upcoming speech. You guys remember her? She's the one that said (in a round about way) that Obama was going to help her with gas and her mortgage.

http://youtu.be/P36x8rTb3jI
    The "STASH" lady??

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    So, it's just coincidental that O wants to address a joint session of Congress on the same day, same time as the Republican candidate debates that have been scheduled for months?

Carney expects people to believe it's just coincidence?

Then he calls the Speaker "childish".

This has got to be a real faux pas ... could someone in the scheduling dept have just screwed up, and they're trying to cover for it? Or was someone in the campaign office stupid enough to think this would be a wonderful stroke of genius? Not exactly the way to gain bipartisan support.

So how big do you think the audience will be for the debate, with or without a speech to a joint session? My guess is that those who would watch the debate wouldn't waste time listening to Obama, and those interested in listening to Obama wouldn't waste their time listening to the Rep candidates.

But whatever, it's a huge controversy...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    So how big do you think the audience will be for the debate, with or without a speech to a joint session? My guess is that those who would watch the debate wouldn't waste time listening to Obama, and those interested in listening to Obama wouldn't waste their time listening to the Rep candidates.

Not any more....
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Well... first we will have to be able to find MSNBC on our TV's... The least watched network in history... actully didn't know they were still on the air...
    Bill Davis

spot on with that comment...besides it will be replayed, analyzed,critiqued by every blogger and political expert and thats just here on POTUS/and Dawgs
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Anyone wanting to waste their time listening to another 'teleprompter' election speech, and thinking it will be something new about how this oligarchy will provide more jobs, fall into the "fools" category...again.

My bet is with this columnist's view on what will be burped up again.

UB

Obama’s New Jobs Policies Sound Just Like His Old Jobs Policies

Rob PortAugust 30, 2011

So what is the President’s brilliant new plan to create jobs? Stimulus spending and tax credits for hiring. Both of which are policies he already implemented to pretty much zero impact.
    Aug. 30 (Bloomberg) — The ideas President Barack Obama is considering for his new jobs agenda could put hundreds of thousands of people back to work, and still have a limited impact in an economy that remains 6.8 million jobs behind its pre-recession peak, economists said.

Among the options Obama is considering is a version of a tax credit for new hires that could spur the creation of 900,000 additional jobs at a cost of $30 billion, according to an estimate by Michael Greenstone, an economics professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and former chief economist for Obama’s Council of Economic Advisers.
    “It allows the private sector to lead the economy toward the areas where the payoffs are greatest,” Greenstone said.
    Stimulus spending doesn’t work. The government cannot take from one sector of the economy and give to another and expect prosperity to ensue. That’s like taking water out of one end of the pool and pouring it in the other end and expecting the level to rise.

And tax credits for hiring don’t work either. Because businesses don’t hire to get a tax credit. They hire because they need an employee. Thinking that businesses would hire for no other reason to get a tax credit speaks to a fundamental ignorance as to how business actually works.

If we want to spark hiring, we need to cut taxes and roll back regulation and eliminate the budget deficits so that the economy can grow again and businesses have a reason to hire.
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

RK
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

After all this ruckus, I think people will expect that there will actually be something newsworthy in this speech ... not just another campaign speech Remains to be seen.

Not sure why the speech had to be in a joint session of Congress. He could have just made a televised speech (as in the past) & by-passed the Congressional "invitation".

I'm still thinking that it was a scheduling blunder by staff ... POTUS looks worse having to back down & schedule in a less appealing time slot.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    After all this ruckus, I think people will expect that there will actually be something newsworthy in this speech ... not just another campaign speech Remains to be seen.

Not sure why the speech had to be in a joint session of Congress. He could have just made a televised speech (as in the past) & by-passed the Congressional "invitation".

I'm still thinking that it was a scheduling blunder by staff ... POTUS looks worse having to back down & schedule in a less appealing time slot.
    He is going to call out congress, blame them and insult them.

He has been e-mailing, texting and tweeting this message to his "PEEPS!!"
    __________________________________________________ ___________

In Email To Campaign Supporters Obama Says He Is 'Frustrated' With Congress
    Zeke Miller | Aug. 31, 2011, 11:11 PM

President Barack Obama's reelection campaign sent an email to campaign supporters under his name Wednesday with the subject line "frustrated" — critiquing Congress for failing to focus on the critical issues facing the country.

"It's been a long time since Congress was focused on what the American people need them to be focused on. I know that you're frustrated by that. I am, too," the message said, adding that Obama will lay out his own proposals in a speech to Congress next week.

The standoffish email says Obama will push Congress to act, but "whether they will do the job they were elected to do is ultimately up to them."

As his reelection effort gears up, Obama says he is prepared to run against Congress if it blocks his economic agenda — which will include a number of proposals he says will create jobs.

Read the full email below:
    Friend --

Today I asked for a joint session of Congress where I will lay out a clear plan to get Americans back to work.

Next week, I will deliver the details of the plan and call on lawmakers to pass it.

Whether they will do the job they were elected to do is ultimately up to them.

But both you and I can pressure them to do the right thing. We can send the message that the American people are playing by the rules and meeting their responsibilities—and it's time for our leaders in Congress to meet theirs.

And we must hold them accountable if they don't.

So I'm asking you to stand with me in calling on Congress to step up and take action on jobs:
    http://my.barackobama.com/Time-To-Act

No matter how things go in the weeks and months ahead, this will be an important challenge for our organization.

It's been a long time since Congress was focused on what the American people need them to be focused on.
    I know that you're frustrated by that. I am, too.

That's why I'm putting forward a set of bipartisan proposals to help grow the economy and create jobs—that means strengthening our small businesses, giving needed breaks to middle-class families, while taking responsible steps to bring down our deficit.

I'm asking lawmakers to look past short-term politics and take action on that plan. But we've got to do this together.

I will deliver this message to Congress next week, but I'm asking you to stand alongside me today:
    http://my.barackobama.com/Time-To-Act

More to come,
    Barack

__________________________________________________ _______

Thganks for the heads up "B!"

RK
    Stan b & Elvis