The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: First Responders not Invited to 9/11 Ceremonies

Default First Responders not Invited to 9/11 Ceremonies

Yahoo News
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/9...142149351.html

You would think that there would at least be some representation of the first responders.

Just when you think things couldn't get more crazy ...

President Obama will be there. So will former president George W. Bush and former New York City mayor Rudolph Giuliani. And, of course, the current mayor, Michael Bloomberg, will attend.

But Sept. 11 first responders, the emergency workers who helped with the rescue and recovery efforts 10 years ago, will be denied entry to the 9/11 National Memorial on the 10th anniversary of the attacks.

The 90,000 or so firefighters, police officers, and civilian volunteers who rushed toward the burning twin towers are not invited to the ceremonies on Sept. 11.

Mayor Bloomberg confirmed that the day would be reserved for victims' families. "Family members only will be allowed to walk onto the plaza, look at their loved ones' names, look down into the voids," he said, referring to the reflecting pools in the footprints of the two towers. Bloomberg added, "The first day, it's reserved for those family members who lost somebody on 9/11."

And, in fact, first responders have never been officially invited to the events. But that doesn't make it right, says John Feal, founder of an advocacy group for first responders, many of whom are now battling cancer and other diseases. Feal, a first responder himself, told CNN, "The best of the best that this country offered 10 years ago are being neglected and denied their rightful place."

In fact, as construction of the 9/11 National Memorial continues, passes are required for those who wish to visit the site. The passes, which are free, are for a specified date and time.

When the online reservation system opened, the 5,000 passes for the opening date to the public, Sept. 12, were snapped up within an hour. Since then, the memorial foundation has made more slots available.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Yahoo News
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/9...142149351.html

You would think that there would at least be some representation of the first responders.

Just when you think things couldn't get more crazy ...
    I get PO'ed when I heard about this earlier today...but then later on it occured to me, ominously, that maybe the powers-that-be fear something major is in the works and are concerned that those first responders might be needed on that day and shouldn't be out-of-pocket at a 9/11 ceremony.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    I get PO'ed when I heard about this earlier today...but then later on it occured to me, ominously, that maybe the powers-that-be fear something major is in the works and are concerned that those first responders might be needed on that day and shouldn't be out-of-pocket at a 9/11 ceremony.
    I'm not to certain that we have any "powers that be" that smart.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

They could have at least invited one representative for the various first responder groups. They lost their lives trying to save others.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Is it just me or am I being to cynical in saying that this "memorial' seems to be for everyone BUT the survivors and the families of the victims...

I mean I know it was a NATIONAL tragedy of epic proportions, but it seems that the people who should be involved and making decisions are not exactly those that have a direct link to the tragedy...

its almost like everyone is pushing to see who can be more patriotic and show more empathy than the next guy, whereas the actual real heroes and the real victims are getting pushed off to the side....

I hope my observation is wrong, I really do
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Is it just me or am I being to cynical in saying that this "memorial' seems to be for everyone BUT the survivors and the families of the victims...

I mean I know it was a NATIONAL tragedy of epic proportions, but it seems that the people who should be involved and making decisions are not exactly those that have a direct link to the tragedy...

its almost like everyone is pushing to see who can be more patriotic and show more empathy than the next guy, whereas the actual real heroes and the real victims are getting pushed off to the side....

I hope my observation is wrong, I really do
    Your observation is spot on.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

It's about pandering to the TV camera's, and voters, getting the voters votes and sound bites.

That's what America has become today.

The people that did the work and deserve to be honored are beneath the "classroom experts!"
    Didn't you learn any thing when "B" got Bin Laden?
    The SEALS didn't get Bin Laden, "B" did!!!!!!

I would rather spend my day with a firefighter than "B" any day.....ANY DAY!!!

RK
    Last edited by road kill; 09-10-2011 at 07:33 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

They will sure invite the first responders at the fist sign of danger though...
    Bill Davis