The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that don't ask-dont' tell is over

Doesnt really bother me what people preference is... IMO people are born that way, theres not really a choice. Thinking of all the gay people I know, most of them you could tell very early in their life that they were gay. However... having served in the military, logistically I dont see how its appropriate. Sharing berthing and heads. There wasnt a whole lot of privacy on a ship to begin with. I just think DADT was a policy that worked and didnt need to be updated. I'd rather just be left in the dark about peoples sexual preferences. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Just got back from dog training.
    Ha d a great conversation with a former Marine.

Evidently I am not alone in this sentiment and feeling like PUKING!!!!!

RK
    Hey RK would you care to ellaborate as to why? Not looking to start an argument at all just genuinely curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    Hey RK would you care to ellaborate as to why? Not looking to start an argument at all just genuinely curious...
    You obviously never served.

The Military is not a social test tube for secular progressives.

Experiment with drugs and sex all you want to in college, the military is about discipline and respect and honor.

I highly doubt you understand me, it's OK, I was born this way!!!.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

I just retired in April with 20 years in the Army. I don't think there was anything wrong with don't ask don't tell. It worked. There have been gays in the military since the dawn of time in my opinion. I am gonna have to agree with the other vet who responded by saying that public displays of affection by gay military personel on post should not be allowed or at least kept in check. I also hope that this new policy will not attract people who have an agenda that is not in the best interest of national security and good order and discipline of our armed forces
    . I hope that everything goes over as business as usual. I will tell you a big reason I left the Army at twenty was that I was so sick of quarterly sensitivity training that I like road kill wanted to puke. The Army changed and I wasn't willing to change with it. It is what it is.

I did 22 years in the Marine Corps. I personally would not want to use a community shower knowing the shower next to me had a gay guy that would be gazing. That would make my skin crawl.

Since females had to have their own barracks and males had to have their own barracks, are they going to build new barracks for the gay.

If they do than they will have to have two set of new barracks. One for male gays and one for female gays. The cost of this is unreal.

Or are they going to allow cohabitation in the barracks.

Richard

Saw the news tonight. They had what they said was a Marine marring his friend. The problem was, he was wearing an Army Officer's uniform. The media blew that one.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    does it really matter...I never served in the military, but came from a military family..my dad was a decorated career Army officer, had two older brothers do their stints in the Army and Marines..we have a couple of nephews and a niece that are gay...I know the subject bothered my dad, but wondering if it matters to you ..doesnt matter if you did or didnt serve...just looking for opinions

FTR: it doesnt matter to me but I dont like the immediate rush of military coming out and getting civil unions and "coming out of the closet" or maybe the media giving it their attention
    I'm surprised, yet not so, that you chose to broach this subject, Bon.
    You work in an industry, (food service) where gender blur is rampant. I have also worked in the restaurant business, in various capacities. Gay and lesbian staff were the order of the day, and they were able to serve with few faults. Those that occurred were dealt with by management if needed. Considering that the majority of military service is in the support areas, and not close combat, I think this is a non-issue. If some consider being viewed in the shower areas as "creepy", It seems to me to be more their problem. I pee and change my clothes at HT's behind my truck doors, I don't look around to see who's watching, and are they checking out my "junk".

DADT Good ridence, JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    You work in an industry, (food service) where gender blur is rampant. I have also worked in the restaurant business, in various capacities. Gay and lesbian staff were the order of the day,
    and they were able to serve with few faults. Those that occurred were dealt with by management if needed. Considering that the majority of military service is in the support areas, and not close combat, I think this is a non-issue. If some consider being viewed in the shower areas as "creepy", It seems to me to be more their problem. I pee and change my clothes at HT's behind my truck doors, I don't look around to see who's watching, and are they checking out my "junk".

DADT Good ridence, JD
    waiting tables with my gay friends is a heck of a lot different than going to war with gay troops....my server friends dont have my life in their hands,we dont have to SSS in the same latrines...IMHO the military is a whole different animal....the UCMJ is a whole lot different than the bill of rights...the military is not a democracy...when you join them,you play by their rules...at least thats the way I was always told..when my dad gave orders we marched,when he said we were moving,my mom broke camp and moved us..it was not put up to a vote..ever watch the movie the Great Santini- that was our family
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    You work in an industry, (food service) where gender blur is rampant. I have also worked in the restaurant business, in various capacities. Gay and lesbian staff were the order of the day, and they were able to serve with few faults. Those that occurred were dealt with by management if needed. Considering that the majority of military service is in the support areas, and not close combat, I think this is a non-issue. If some consider being viewed in the shower areas as "creepy", It seems to me to be more their problem. I pee and change my clothes at HT's behind my truck doors, I don't look around to see who's watching, and are they checking out my "junk".

DADT Good ridence, JD
    Yep, you are spot on.

Serving on a ship on a 6 month tour or being in a combat zone and the entertainment industry are the same.
    Impeccable logic...........

And people wonder why we are having problems in the USA????

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    You obviously never served.

The Military is not a social test tube for secular progressives.

Experiment with drugs and sex all you want to in college, the military is about discipline and respect and honor.

I highly doubt you understand me, it's OK, I was born this way!!!.

RK
    I don't see how it changes anything. The people were either straight/gay/lesbian/bi to begin with. It didn't miraculously change their sexual preference(s). Speaking of drugs, how many people were on them during wars? I'm not knocking them for getting high as a kite after making it through a day of fighting, but I won't turn away from facts either. Yeah, I'm positive about the sex part not being diluted either. The military is about whatever you want it to be. It's no sure thing that they have any of the 3 things you mentioned. The simple fact is there is good & bad with it. To make it out like everything is all great in the military and it's nothing but honorable/noble people is a farce.