RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Help With a Research Paper on E-Collar for Pre-Vet Class

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  golden epi 
#1 ·
I am currently writing a paper on the pros/cons and arguments for/against the use of e-collars on dogs. I need some advice on topics to cover and places where I can find information. My paper will, of course, be geared in favor of using the collar.

I even plan on using the forum as one of my sources.

I know the forum would be a great place to find a lot of information, since you guys looooove this topic :p

Thanks a lot in advance!

#2 ·
Pro's-
1- Instant correction, no laps in timing.
2- More humane or gentle correction. Because of this the softer dog may be trained to a high level. Much higher than the old days of the 4 color plugs or the rat shot and quirk days.
3- consistency and fairness to the dog.
Con's-
1- Some folk still like to buy tennis shoes and beat their dogs with sticks.

#3 ·
Pros: When trained correctly you can now walk, hunt, and enjoy your dog any place and any time in the outdoors SAFLEY. (where dogs are allowed). You can keep control while allowing your dog to do what he needs to do on any given day.

Cons: You now have one less excuse for not taking your dog along out with you when he gives you his big, sad, sappy eyes. ;-)

#4 ·
Here is an example: My dogs are trained and obedient. They listen to me and never leave the yard. An old friends dog was never trained properly (or at all for that matter) and when it left the yard it would not come to his name. I told him he needed to fix that in a big way. Proper and correct ways of training will make it "safer" for the dog. He didn't listen to me and a short time after when his di-obedient dog was running the neighborhood he got hit by a cop car and was killed.

So which would you perefer, a little correction form an e-collar or a cars bumper?

#5 ·
Stating the obvious: the e-collar is a tool to be used within a training program that incorporates negative reinforcement, correction, and possibly punishment. Nothing about the e-collar addresses the philosophical argument over whether these elements are acceptable in dog training. On this forum, of course, close to 100% believe they are and can point to dogs who demonstrate great enthusiasm for their work as evidence.

Within a training approach that incorporates these elements, the e-collar is an extremely useful tool. I have trained a lot of dogs both with and without it, and still offer conventional training (i.e. training without the e-collar) for owners who want it. In my experience, e-collar training is easier on the dog. The superior timing and action-at-a-distance make it easier, faster, and less confusing to establish fundamental responses such as coming when called. Everything else is built upon these fundamentals, and if they are not well established, or if they carry "baggage" such as repeated, poorly-timed corrections (which are likely to be harsher to make up for poor timing), this can affect advanced work.

This presumes that the training is done well by someone who understands what he/she is doing. The e-collar also makes it easy for an incompetent owner to ruin a dog, and my opinion is that people who think in terms of "showing the dog who's boss" are poor candidates to use them.

Amy Dahl

#7 ·
Jessica; go to my website, reibar.com, click on training tips, i have two articles that may help. RESPECT and WHAT DOGS WANT.

GOOD LUCK
GG

#8 ·
It's threads like this that have ol' Snickelwhatever chewing through the restraints.

Ahhhh the good old days regards

Bubba

#9 ·
It's threads like this that have ol' Snickelwhatever chewing through the restraints.

Ahhhh the good old days regards

Bubba

Don't forget to check Bubba's website.

#10 ·
I suggest that part of your research on this subject is to actually watch a collar conditioning DVD and see the properly applied techniques.

Watching the process by a professional correctly demonstrated would certainly give you the "pros" of the E-collar.

#14 ·
Perfect example: I have an 8 yo GSD that was professionally CC'd and Ob trained as a youngster. Lately, he's been getting hard-headed, selectively deaf and dog-aggressive when walking BLM land with my husband. Put the collar on him and worked on recall in the yard, then to the dog park where he got a correction for getting puffed up and heading for another dog. We'll stay on this and fix it.

But think about it... how could an older couple, both of whom have lousy knees, manage an 86 pound shepherd and correct a serious social problem without the E-collar. He'd have to be kept in the kennel or in the house 24/7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.