The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: $600 Mill in Benefits to Dead People?

Default $600 Mill in Benefits to Dead People?

Gov't paid $600 million in benefits to dead people
    By SAM HANANEL

Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The federal government has doled out more than $600 million in benefit payments to dead people over the past five years, a watchdog report says.

Such payments are meant for retired or disabled federal workers, but sometimes the checks keep going out even after the former employees pass away and the deaths are not reported, according to the report this week from the Office of Personnel Management's inspector general, Patrick McFarland.

In one case, the son of a beneficiary continued receiving payments for 37 years after his father's death in 1971. The payments - totaling more than $515,000 - were only discovered when the son died in 2008.

The government has been aware of the problem since a 2005 inspector general's report revealed defects in the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund. Yet the improper payments have continued, despite more than a half dozen attempts to develop a system that can figure out which beneficiaries are still alive and which are dead, the report said.

"It is time to stop, once and for all, this waste of taxpayer money," it said.

Office of Personnel Management spokesman Edmund Byrnes said he could not immediately comment on the findings. But the report said OPM Director John Berry agrees that stopping the improper payments should be a priority.

There are about 2.5 million federal workers who receive over $60 billion in benefit payments from the program each year.

Federal officials have tried matching the fund's computer records with the Social Security Administration's death records, checking tax records and improving the timeliness of death reporting.

OPM has also sampled its records of all recipients over 90 years old to confirm whether they are still alive. In 2009, there were more than 125,000 recipients identified as over 90 and about 3,400 over 100 years old.

Both the Obama administration and Congress have made it a higher priority to crack down on improper government payments.

Last year, government investigators found that more than 89,000 stimulus payments of $250 each from the massive economic recovery package went to people who were either dead or in prison.
    Bill Davis

Last year, government investigators found that more than 89,000 stimulus payments of $250 each from the massive economic recovery package went to people who were either dead or in prison.

I mean, really, how hard can it be for SS to notify other agencies when somebody dies? SS knows because they pay out a death benefit for someone who dies.

Or, certainly, people don't withhold that death info from SS, do they? Might also be a clue when Medicare stops processing health care payments for someone. Easy to contact the dr. or nursing home that was caring for the patient. Duh?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Does anyone really expect the Government Class to be competant? Those folks are set for life, have stress free jobs and zero accountability. Good luck in trying to get any one of them fired! So, why should they have to checkout who they send money to?

Government too big is government gone wild!
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

Dead people can't actually surf Amazon for Obama flags, can they?
    I also doubt they spent the money on new suits, so where did the money go?

I think Franco got it right...
    No accountability = no responsibility.
    If the banking / wallstreet clowns are still getting "performance related bonuses" after such a massive mess, we are all doomed... Oh, wait. They are!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonGoodwin View Post
    Dead people can't actually surf Amazon for Obama flags, can they?I also doubt they spent the money on new suits, so where did the money go?

If the banking / wallstreet clowns are still getting "performance related bonuses" after such a massive mess, we are all doomed... Oh, wait. They are!
    No, but they CAN vote!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by SimonGoodwin View Post
    Dead people can't actually surf Amazon for Obama flags, can they?
    I also doubt they spent the money on new suits, so where did the money go?

....and they are not going to jail, either!
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    No, but they CAN vote!!!

RK
    and some vote more than once
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    and some vote more than once
    In Chicago, they can be dead AND vote more than once.