The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Texas A & M Officially Joins SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post
    Texas and Texas A&M already garner the largest fan bases in Texas and historically their fair share of the best recruiting classes in the nation.

TAMU already owns Houston in terms of fans and recruiting.

For 2012, according to Rivals, Texas has the #1 class and A$M has the #8 class (they had the talent in that class long before the SEC move).

Can't garner much more or do much better than than, regardless of conference.
    You just proved my point. It's about expanding in area as well as an okay team. Prior to that, The Big 12/10/whatever had that market. Now, it's The SEC. That said, LSU plucks as many Houston area recruits as it wants.

That's why there were rumors of Maryland joining. They'd get The DC Market. Expansion is as much about beefing up a conference (In most conferences.) as it is to tv contracts and capitalizing on big business for The SEC. I wish we would just go ahead & pick up Free Shoes U, VT, and either GT (Original SEC member. I do detest them.), Clemson, Miami (When the Canes are good, CFB is exciting.), TX (The SEC has the fortitude to tell the shorthorns where they can stick their ideas on things.), or OU. That would be a sick 16 team conference. I'm curious to see what Commissioner Slive has in mind. He's like the polar opposite to Beebe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    That's why there were rumors of Maryland joining. They'd get The DC Market. Expansion is as much about beefing up a conference (In most conferences.) as it is to tv contracts and capitalizing on big business for The SEC. I wish we would just go ahead & pick up Free Shoes U, VT, and either GT (Original SEC member. I do detest them.), Clemson, Miami (When the Canes are good, CFB is exciting.), TX (The SEC has the fortitude to tell the shorthorns where they can stick their ideas on things.), or OU.
    I ain't seeing the Maryland thing at all; DC TV market or not. They're wrong for the SEC (and vice versa) on so many levels. I also don't think there will be expansion from within the same state as a current SEC team....ruling out fsu, scUM, Ga. Tech and Clempson. The Big East is on the verge of unravelling and the ACC just tacitly admitted they're not a football conference by picking up Syracuse and Pitt...which means that West By God Virginia and Virginia Tech are RIPE for the pickin'. OU or OSU would be great...a girl can dream can't she? I'm glad we got A&M instead of Texas...as a UF alum I don't think we could tolerate any competition in the arrogant d-bag fan category.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

I've been saying for over a year now this thing is headed for 4 'super conferences'. Don't know how it will all shake out but the SEC and it's success in many ways is a major factor in the moves....BCS might be on it's way out....playoff system enter left stage. From what I read, Oklahoma folks don't appear to cozy up to the idea of splitting up the two schools and sounds like they favor a move west with the shorthorns and Tech to form a PAC 16 keeping those four schools in one of 4 pods. Texas will need to make some concessions for that to happen in light of the fact that we just finished our own years long battle gaining concessions from U$C. They (and others) would be none to happy allowing Texas to play to their own tune. Going to be interesting but demanding to be the 10 ton longho......err... elephant in the room doesn't make for functional families.
    "What a difference a week makes. This week I feel like a football coach. Last week I felt like Britney Spears' choreographer."
    Coach Bob Green, Montana Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    I ain't seeing the Maryland thing at all; DC TV market or not. They're wrong for the SEC (and vice versa) on so many levels. I also don't think there will be expansion from within the same state as a current SEC team....ruling out fsu, scUM, Ga. Tech and Clempson. The Big East is on the verge of unravelling and the ACC just tacitly admitted they're not a football conference by picking up Syracuse and Pitt...which means that West By God Virginia and Virginia Tech are RIPE for the pickin'. OU or OSU would be great...a girl can dream can't she? I'm glad we got A&M instead of Texas...as a UF alum I don't think we could tolerate any competition in the arrogant d-bag fan category.
    I didn't say I agreed with the rumors about Maryland. It was just brought up for the point about expanding for markets.

I hope you're wrong about expanding within current states. My "Pipe dream" would be to add VT & Free Shoes U to The Least, I mean east. Then add OU to The Best. Of course that's what I would love to see. That would leave zero doubt that The SEC is about CFB & College Baseball.

LOL. Not all UF fans are terrible. We met some nice ones back in 03. Had an elderly couple come over for breakfast. The people we tailgated with were great. Now those in the stadium were terrible. Certainly not all of them, but the amount of d bags was enough, but their levels of it was the really bad part. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    You just proved my point. It's about expanding in area as well as an okay team. Prior to that, The Big 12/10/whatever had that market. Now, it's The SEC. That said, LSU plucks as many Houston area recruits as it wants.

That's why there were rumors of Maryland joining. They'd get The DC Market. Expansion is as much about beefing up a conference (In most conferences.) as it is to tv contracts and capitalizing on big business for The SEC. I wish we would just go ahead & pick up Free Shoes U, VT, and either GT (Original SEC member. I do detest them.), Clemson, Miami (When the Canes are good, CFB is exciting.), TX (The SEC has the fortitude to tell the shorthorns where they can stick their ideas on things.), or OU. That would be a sick 16 team conference. I'm curious to see what Commissioner Slive has in mind. He's like the polar opposite to Beebe.
    I agree with you Jacob....I believe it helps the SEC get a big piece of the Houston TV market...and DFW. The Ag$ have a ton of alumni in DFW too.