The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy Never Wins GOP Sweepstakes

Default Crazy Never Wins GOP Sweepstakes

I dont watch MSNBC or the Morning Joe but found Scarborough's column in Politico quite insightful

article cut/paste from realclearpolitics

Crazy never wins GOP sweepstakes
    By: Joe Scarborough
    September 26, 2011 11:29 PM EDT

As Rick Perry might say, “It really ain’t that hard.”

If you’re a Northeast elite hoping to crack the code on GOP presidential primaries while impressing your friends at Fifth Avenue dinner parties with insightful political prognostications, always remember one simple rule: Crazy never wins.

You heard right, my Upper West Side friend. Crazy. Never. Wins.

Despite the crop of nutty right-wing candidates that sprout up in GOP presidential fields every four years, despite the gasps and growls that regularly rise from Manhattan cocktail parties aimed at extremists who are hijacking the Republican Party (in ways that past GOP extremists would never have dreamed of hijacking the party), despite the cries from right-wing radio hosts predicting the rise of Ronald Reagan’s ghost and the nomination of an unelectable candidate, in the end this political chatter always proves to be sound and fury signifying nothing.

A few caveats to my rule: (1) Thank you very much for the invitations to your Manhattan cocktail parties. Anything written in the preceding paragraphs should not be interpreted to suggest that I am not delighted by your company or future invitations to said events; and (2) Reagan was never the right-wing tool that talk show hosts claim.

Reagan governed California during its greatest — and most challenging — decade. Running a state of that size required him to compromise on abortion, tax increases and the growth of government in a way that offended the John Birch Society.

Reagan ignored the most extreme elements in his party and governed from the center when compromise was required. That pragmatic streak required the conservative movement’s founder to come to the Gipper’s defense more than once.

William F. Buckley praised Reagan’s pragmatism in a 1967 National Review column that mocked right-wing critics by facetiously asking whether the California governor should “padlock the state treasury and give speeches on the Liberty Amendment.”

Buckley would later criticize George W. Bush’s utopian foreign policy by telling The Wall Street Journal that “conservatism implies a certain submission to reality.”

By that standard, conservatism is in short supply in the 2012 GOP field.

And by following the conservative standard my father used, it’s not so hard to pick out the pretenders in this year’s field.

My dad was comfortably middle class and always too busy putting his kids through school to obsess over politics. But he did know enough to see Reagan speak in 1979 and come home declaring that he had just seen America’s next president — a truth that most commentators would miss until election night a year later.

At just about this time four years ago, Dad gave me one of his last lectures on presidential politics.

John McCain was stuck in single digits, and his once mighty campaign was declared dead on arrival by Republican operatives and political pundits. But Dad’s message to me as I raced toward the airport was as unambiguous as his Reagan declaration 30 years earlier.

“You better watch John McCain. He’s gonna win the nomination.”

Despite my eye rolls and the Arizona senator’s self-inflicted wounds, Dad was right again. Just like he was when he supported Nixon, Goldwater, Ford, Reagan, Dole and Bush.

Guys like my dad do not gamble on candidates like Michele Bachmann or Newt Gingrich.

Guys like my dad tune out politicians who compare opponents to Joseph Stalin or Adolf Hitler.

And guys like my dad don’t cozy up to Texas governors who brag about seceding from the Union or call Social Security unconstitutional.

That’s why crazy never wins. It never even comes close.

So regardless of what is written about the Republican Party every four years by Northeast elites or right-wing nuts, guys like my father still hold the GOP’s fate in their conservative hands.

A guest columnist for POLITICO, Joe Scarborough hosts “Morning Joe” on MSNBC and represented Florida’s 1st Congressional District in the House of Representatives from 1995 to 2001.
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I dont watch MSNBC or the Morning Joe but found Scarborough's column in Politico quite insightful

article cut/paste from realclearpolitics
    Good article!

He's corrrect that there is a short supply of Conservatism in the GOP field as the ones getting the most coverage represent the extreme right.

As Scarborough eludes to, for the GOP to win we will have to be able to attract voters from all demographics; young, women, moderates, Hispanaics and backs and not just the grumpy old white demographic!
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

How is this article insightful?

My takeaways are slams on Republican candidates, slams on conservative talk radio, a mischaracterization of Reagan, a slam on Perry and another attempt of the left to choose the Republican nominee for Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Good article!

He's corrrect that there is a short supply of Conservatism in the GOP field as the ones getting the most coverage represent the extreme right.

As Scarborough eludes to, for the GOP to win we will have to be able to attract voters from all demographics; young, women, moderates, Hispanaics and backs and not just the grumpy old white demographic!
    Isn't the "extreme right" conservatism and the "left wing" liberalism?

Are we redefining the terms? So a moderate is now a conservative?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post

My takeaways are slams on Republican candidates, slams on conservative talk radio, a mischaracterization of Reagan, a slam on Perry and another attempt of the left to choose the Republican nominee for Republicans.
    BAM....Head shot!!

Good call.........

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

it doesnt mis characterize Reagan...I lived in Calif during the Reagan years as Governor....it was insightful to me, because if you look at Republican political history he is correct...ideology is driving the pre primary Republican race,but the big picture is still making BHO a one termer...ideology may win nominations, but will it win elections
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Isn't the "extreme right" conservatism and the "left wing" liberalism?

Are we redefining the terms? So a moderate is now a conservative?
    Nope!

The Conservative movement has been hijacked over the last 25 years mostly by talkshow host and now represents something totally different then what it originally was.

The Conservative movement was born out of the ideals of Libertarianism. Today's so-called Conservative is nothing more than big government, restricted freedom and out-of-contral spending, just a different flavor from Liberalism.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

If crazy never wins... Ron Paul is dead in the water.
    Bill Davis

hahaha, and the Democratic party hasn't been hijacked by the extreme left? Puhlease. Have you seen the talk the past two days of suspending elections and needing less democracy?

This is simply another attempt by the left to select/influence the Republican nominee by putting forth another lame candidate like McCain....one which they believe Obama can beat.

This article isn't about Reagan, that's an entirely different conversation about how wrong this tool is. I'm not going to waste my time and anyway, I have to go to work so I can have more skin in the game and pay for some illegal's education and some crack mom sitting at home with 10 babies.

hahaha, and the Democratic party hasn't been hijacked by the extreme left? Puhlease. Have you seen the talk the past two days of suspending elections and needing less democracy?

This is simply another attempt by the left to select/influence the Republican nominee by putting forth another lame candidate like McCain....one which they believe Obama can beat.

This article isn't about Reagan, that's an entirely different conversation about how wrong this tool is. I'm not going to waste my time and anyway, I have to go to work so I can have more skin in the game and pay for some illegal's education and some crack mom sitting at home with 10 babies.
    I never said the Democratic Party wasn't hijacked! Both parties have gravitated to the extremes. That's why government has become so dyfunctional.

But don't tell be that the founder of the Conservative movement, William F Buckley Jr isn't turning in his grave at what the movement is today. Today it is nothing more than fear-mongering and Draconian solutions.