The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crazy Never Wins GOP Sweepstakes

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post
    Chris Christie himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTvMy...layer_embedded

So what is Christie hinting at when he tells Jake Tapper in the clip above that we need a “commonsense path to citizenship.” We already have one, and more than a million people a year take advantage of it.

What’s he’s hinting at, of course, is amnesty.
    I listened to the interview. He said that tthe fed. gov. had to deal with the issue, that the states did not have the manpower to deal with it. He went on further to say "FIRST OF ALL THEY HAVE TO SECURE THE BORDER AND THEN SET A REALISTIC PATH TO CITIZENSHIP". I am not familiar with the current path to citizenship so there is nothing I can say about it. I do know that there are children who are legan citizens of this country who have parents here that are illegal. We also have adult citizens who have their parents here who are also illegal. These are issues and I am sure there are probably more that will have to be dealt with. But first and primary is to secure the borders as he said.

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    I listened to the interview. He said that tthe fed. gov. had to deal with the issue, that the states did not have the manpower to deal with it. He went on further to say "FIRST OF ALL THEY HAVE TO SECURE THE BORDER AND THEN SET A REALISTIC PATH TO CITIZENSHIP". I am not familiar with the current path to citizenship so there is nothing I can say about it. I do know that there are children who are legan citizens of this country who have parents here that are illegal. We also have adult citizens who have their parents here who are also illegal. These are issues and I am sure there are probably more that will have to be dealt with. But first and primary is to secure the borders as he said.
    LOL I know what he said, I posted the video.

He's skirting the issue and using code words. As I pointed out, we have a path to citizenship today...a million people each year do it legally. To say we need to set a realistic path to citizenship is code words for amnesty.

I do agree with the fence part...that's not the point of contention. You asked what his position on amnesty was and so I provided you the issue that conservatives have with Christie, directly from his own mouth. He's said similar statements for years.

Here is what you have to do for naturalization (not too tough huh...but Christie says it needs to be a more realistic path?????? Really? Basically live here for 5 years, speak English and take an easy 10 question test and get 6 right):

Requirements. People applying to become citizens must satisfy certain requirements. For example, there have been requirements for applicants to have lived in the nation for five years (three if married to a U.S. citizen,) be of "good moral character" meaning no felony convictions, be of "sound mind" in the judgment of immigration officials, have knowledge of the Constitution, and be able to speak and understand English unless they're elderly or disabled.[48]

Military participation is often a way for immigrant residents to become citizens. Since many people seek citizenship for its financial and social benefits, the promise of citizenship can be seen as a means of motivating persons to do dangerous activities such as fight in wars. For example, one account suggested the United States Military was recruiting "skilled immigrants who are living in this country with temporary visas" by promising an opportunity to become citizens "in as little as six months" in exchange for service in Afghanistan and Iraq where US forces are "stretched thin."[49] The option was not open to illegal immigrants.[49] One estimate was that in 2009 the US military had 29,000 foreign-born people currently serving who were not American citizens.[49] Generally, spouses of citizens, and non-citizens who served in the military, have less difficulty becoming citizens. Generally there is a strong link between military service and citizenship. One analyst noted that "many immigrants, not yet citizens, have volunteered to serve in the United States military forces ... Some have been killed and others wounded ... Perhaps this can be seen as a cynical attempt to qualify more easily for U.S. citizenship ... But I think that service in the U.S. military has to be taken as a pretty serious commitment to the United States."[20] Immigrant soldiers who fight for the US often have an easier and faster path to citizenship.[50] In 2002, President Bush signed an executive order to eliminate the three-year waiting period and made service personnel immediately eligible for citizenship.[50] In 2003, Congress voted to "cut the waiting period to become a citizen from three years down to one year" for immigrants who had served in the armed forces.[50] In 2003, of 1.4 million service members, 37,000 active-duty members were not citizens, and of these, 20 percent had applied for citizenship.[50] By June 2003, 12 non-citizens had died fighting for the United States in the Iraqi war.[50] The military has had a tradition of "filling out its ranks" with aliens living in the U.S.[51] Non-citizens fought in World War II.[51] The military has struggled to "fill its depleted ranks" by recruiting more non-US citizens.[52] But there is considerable anxiety about using foreigners to serve in the U.S. armed forces. General Dwight D. Eisenhower was quoted as saying: "When Rome went out and hired mercenary soldiers, Rome fell."[51]

Grandparent rule. One obscure ruling of section 322 of a 1994 immigration law enabled persons to emigrate to the United States if they could prove that a grandparent was a citizen.[53] In 2006, there were 4,000 applications of citizenship through grandparents. While parents of any nationality can use the law, Israelis comprise 90% of those taking advantage of the clause.[53]

Amnesties have happened in the past in which illegal residents could petition for citizenship if they could prove that they had been living in the nation for a specified number of years.[citation needed]

Citizenship test. Last, applicants must pass a simple citizenship test.[48] Up until recently, a test published by the Immigration and Naturalization Service asked questions such as "How many stars are there in our flag?" and "What is the Constitution?" and "Who is the president of the United States today?"[48] At one point, the Government Printing Office sold flashcards for $8.50 to help test takers prepare for the test.[54] In 2006, the government replaced the former trivia test with a ten-question oral test designed to "shun simple historical facts about America that can be recounted in a few words for more explanation about the principles of American democracy, such as freedom."[44] One reviewer described the new citizenship test as "thoughtful."[45] While some have criticized the new version of the test, officials counter that the new test is a "teachable moment" without making it conceptually more difficult, since the list of possible questions and answers, as before, will be publicly available.[44] Six correct answers constitutes a passing grade.[44] The new test probes for signs that immigrants "understand and share American values."[44]
    Last edited by Cowtown; 09-29-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post
    LOL I know what he said, I posted the video.

He's skirting the issue and using code words. As I pointed out, we have a path to citizenship today...a million people each year do it legally. To say we need to set a realistic path to citizenship is code words for amnesty.

I do agree with the fence part...that's not the point of contention. You asked what his position on amnesty was and so I provided you the issue that conservatives have with Christie, directly from his own mouth. He's said similar statements for years.

Here is what you have to do for naturalization (not too tough huh...but Christie says it needs to be a more realistic path?????? Really? Basically live here for 5 years, speak English and take an easy 10 question test and get 6 right):

Requirements. People applying to become citizens must satisfy certain requirements. For example, there have been requirements for applicants to have lived in the nation for five years (three if married to a U.S. citizen,) be of "good moral character" meaning no felony convictions, be of "sound mind" in the judgment of immigration officials, have knowledge of the Constitution, and be able to speak and understand English unless they're elderly or disabled.[48]

Military participation is often a way for immigrant residents to become citizens. Since many people seek citizenship for its financial and social benefits, the promise of citizenship can be seen as a means of motivating persons to do dangerous activities such as fight in wars. For example, one account suggested the United States Military was recruiting "skilled immigrants who are living in this country with temporary visas" by promising an opportunity to become citizens "in as little as six months" in exchange for service in Afghanistan and Iraq where US forces are "stretched thin."[49] The option was not open to illegal immigrants.[49] One estimate was that in 2009 the US military had 29,000 foreign-born people currently serving who were not American citizens.[49] Generally, spouses of citizens, and non-citizens who served in the military, have less difficulty becoming citizens. Generally there is a strong link between military service and citizenship. One analyst noted that "many immigrants, not yet citizens, have volunteered to serve in the United States military forces ... Some have been killed and others wounded ... Perhaps this can be seen as a cynical attempt to qualify more easily for U.S. citizenship ... But I think that service in the U.S. military has to be taken as a pretty serious commitment to the United States."[20] Immigrant soldiers who fight for the US often have an easier and faster path to citizenship.[50] In 2002, President Bush signed an executive order to eliminate the three-year waiting period and made service personnel immediately eligible for citizenship.[50] In 2003, Congress voted to "cut the waiting period to become a citizen from three years down to one year" for immigrants who had served in the armed forces.[50] In 2003, of 1.4 million service members, 37,000 active-duty members were not citizens, and of these, 20 percent had applied for citizenship.[50] By June 2003, 12 non-citizens had died fighting for the United States in the Iraqi war.[50] The military has had a tradition of "filling out its ranks" with aliens living in the U.S.[51] Non-citizens fought in World War II.[51] The military has struggled to "fill its depleted ranks" by recruiting more non-US citizens.[52] But there is considerable anxiety about using foreigners to serve in the U.S. armed forces. General Dwight D. Eisenhower was quoted as saying: "When Rome went out and hired mercenary soldiers, Rome fell."[51]

Grandparent rule. One obscure ruling of section 322 of a 1994 immigration law enabled persons to emigrate to the United States if they could prove that a grandparent was a citizen.[53] In 2006, there were 4,000 applications of citizenship through grandparents. While parents of any nationality can use the law, Israelis comprise 90% of those taking advantage of the clause.[53]

Amnesties have happened in the past in which illegal residents could petition for citizenship if they could prove that they had been living in the nation for a specified number of years.[citation needed]

Citizenship test. Last, applicants must pass a simple citizenship test.[48] Up until recently, a test published by the Immigration and Naturalization Service asked questions such as "How many stars are there in our flag?" and "What is the Constitution?" and "Who is the president of the United States today?"[48] At one point, the Government Printing Office sold flashcards for $8.50 to help test takers prepare for the test.[54] In 2006, the government replaced the former trivia test with a ten-question oral test designed to "shun simple historical facts about America that can be recounted in a few words for more explanation about the principles of American democracy, such as freedom."[44] One reviewer described the new citizenship test as "thoughtful."[45] While some have criticized the new version of the test, officials counter that the new test is a "teachable moment" without making it conceptually more difficult, since the list of possible questions and answers, as before, will be publicly available.[44] Six correct answers constitutes a passing grade.[44] The new test probes for signs that immigrants "understand and share American values."[44]
    I will repeat his statement again. "First of all the borders have to be secured." "After that we need to look at the imigration laws." You assume that any change in the immigration lwas could only be amnesty and that I totally dissagree.

Personally after securing the borders, I would change the immigration laws to sentence and illegal allien who did not register, to 6 months at hard labor and then deport them. If caught a second time then 5 years at hard labor. kThis at the very least would stop them from crossing back and forth across the border whithout severe consequences. I don't think anybod would call this amnesty.

There is no way that the current law could be applied to all illegal alliens that are currently here and there would have to be some change. If you call any change amnesty, then I suspect you have your head in the sand. There has to be a solution other than attempting to deport them all and allowing them to remain on a path to citizenship without consequences. Certainly not an easy task but one that would have to be dealt with.