RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Labs vs. Goldens

12K views 115 replies 50 participants last post by  Cowtown 
#1 ·
I have always thought to myself "I will always have a lab". But lately I have been admiring Goldens too. Both breeds are great in the field and affectionate toward people. I currently own a lab (4 year old BLM) and I just want to know what are some differences between the breeds ?

#2 ·
Grooming will be a big thing to get used to! lol

#6 ·
That's for sure :razz:

I have 2 labs and 1 golden (1yo, field bred)

The Golden is way more affectionate even than either lab. HUGE desire to please. Not as focused or "driven" in the field at this age as my FT bred lab was at that age but she is very stylish. She is a character and has tons of personality. Great nose and LOVES birds.

#3 ·
After all my years of hunting/training around the country I have only been around one working Golden that was in a field trial I entered years ago. He was a very nice dog but somewhat slower than all the rest of the field which were labs. If I had the chance to own a dog like him I would take it.

#8 · (Edited)
I've got two Labradors, and FC and a MH, and goodness knows how many Goldens - a half dozen or so. Two Goldens are my best pheasant hunters, but whose to argue with either an FC or an MH? One Labrador and one Golden are my best goose dogs. The FC hasn't hunted since he was a puppy, but is going to chase pheasants after the national. Somehow I think he might be the best waterfowler. You'd think Goldens would have more hair, but the Labradors sure contribute their share. The Goldens pick up some burrs easier. I love both breeds, live with both, hunt with both, vacuum up both. I could talk about averages in terms of behavior, but I believe there is more individual variation then differences between breeds. It seems easier to get a good water dog with Labradors, and I think easier to get a good upland dog with Goldens, but that may just be my experience.

We won't talk about the co-owned dogs or someone will call animal control.

Pick a nice dog of either breed, or get one of each!

#10 ·
I have one of each, although my golden is from a show pedigree and my lab from a strong Candlewoods pedigree. Between my golden and lab, goldie has the slightly better nose.

I've seen some very, very, good goldens. But I'm staying with labs for both waterfowl and upland.

Goldens are "flightier" IMHO compared to labs. You know, the "butterfly affect". LOL

I'd get another golden if the opportunity arises, but I won't go out of my way for one like I would for a good pedigree'd lab.

#11 ·
My first dog of my own was "Sinbad."
He was a GR.....best dog I ever had!!!

My next dog was "Bam-Bam."
He was a GR.....best dog I ever had!!!

My next dog was "Thunder."
He also was a GR.....best dog I ever had!!!

I now have "Elvis."
He is a BL.....best dog I ever had!!!

Hope that makes sense.....

Enjoy your best friend no matter what size, shape or color he/she is.

RK

#12 ·
It does to me!:D

"Dogs don't know what breed or color they are, and they don't know what it says on their papers. A good dog is a good dog." ~ D.L. Walters

Evan

#14 ·
Lab's are great dogs. Golden's are my choice to share my life with. The dogs I have owned may not have been FT level, but all are or were great hunters and family members. I lost my old boy in December, and he was one of the finest Pheasant dogs I ever hunted with. In 9 years of going to SD, he never let us down. He was a good duck dog as well. He never really enjoyed the HT game. I like to think he knew it was fake. He could do the work in training but usually found a way to break my heart at a test, smiling as he did it.

The middle boy is a great hunter as well as HT level dog and the baby looks to be all my Riley dog was and then some. I will own no other breed, they are in my blood.

We brush them a couple times a week and they leave less hair than most labs. If we hunt them upland, we spray Showsheen on them and burrs come out quickly. A de-matting comb is on hand if need be. I feel they have a better nose than a lab and were bred to work a field.

The show people have nearly ruined the Goldens, so you need to really do your homework and settle in on field liines or proven hunting lines and you should end up with a fine beast.

#15 ·
I love my golden :) He is very quick and sharp as a tack. He is extremely affectionate and adores everyone. He is also the most gentle dog around children. Labman63 can attest that he is a pretty great marking dog.

However, I think I would love a lab too. Which ever dog I have is the best dog in the world.

#16 ·
Owning both a Golden and a Lab I can tell you the differences between the two. One likes tochew up pillows, carpet, toys, trim (during storms), sticks, stones, and any dead thing they can find, plus the occasional helping of some type of animal feces. The other only likes to chew kids books, rotten animals, fish guts and animal feces. I won't say what breed does what, but the one who chews everything is 8 years old and still acts like a pup. The other one is 1 and 1/2, and is still a pup. But I can say both are smart, loving, stylish, and are obedient when they want to be. Just don't let them get bored.

#17 ·
You ain't got a dog unless you got a yellow lab male. :razz:

(I got two)

#19 ·
In the Goldens I have seen, they often tend to be softer, not liking pressure that much. Of course, you can also get that with a lot of labs too. But IMO, it is a lot easier to get a good lab than a good golden:cool::p:2c:

#32 ·
But IMO, it is a lot easier to get a good lab than a good golden:cool::p:2c:
Unfortunately, if you are looking for a good working golden, I think that is true. It's sad that so few goldens have the drive to do what they were bred to do.

#21 ·
I have both and LOVE both. Yes more brushing involved in a golden even one with a field coat (less than show bred) but Labs I honestly think shed more.

The only difference I see in the two dogs, is labs are a bit 'harder headed'. Goldens will do your bidding with out a thought, Labs want to know why. Oh if you tell them why they will do it fast and furious. I also don't think the loyalty of a lab to their owner can be matched. Oh I LOVE my goldens they are my #1 breed, but my lab worships the ground I walk on. She is MY dog and no one better try to hurt me.

I currently have two young dogs, one lab, one golden. Both are fast, great markers, easy to train, the golden needs 'less' correction as she figures out the mistake, and doesn't do it again. She does not like correction. The lab sometimes doesn't seem to care so you have to be more firm on the correction. I guess my golden is better at turning off the pressure properly, than my lab.

I don't think anyone can go wrong with either breed. I personally plan to have at least one of each for as long as I live. GREAT DOGS!!!!!

#22 ·
I have both and LOVE both. Yes more brushing involved in a golden even one with a field coat (less than show bred) but Labs I honestly think shed more.
I agree. It just shows more with Golden hair! But for scrupulous cleaning, my office would be one giant hairball!

Evan

#25 ·
labs---"pick me! pick me! pick me! where's the bumper? where's the bumper? gotta get the bumper! gotta get the bumper!"
goldens--"what a lovely day. I think I'll go get some bumpers. I know a better way to do it, just let me do it THIS way. I know you're going to send me over there next, how about if I save us both some time and trouble and just head there first?"

#28 ·
labs---"pick me! pick me! pick me! where's the bumper? where's the bumper? gotta get the bumper! gotta get the bumper!"
goldens--"what a lovely day. I think I'll go get some bumpers. I know a better way to do it, just let me do it THIS way. I know you're going to send me over there next, how about if I save us both some time and trouble and just head there first?"[/QUOTE]

I usually hate the generalizations about the different retriever breeds, but I have to admit that sentence rings true. I agree with Chuck's earler post, where he said there is greater variability between individual dogs amongst a certain breed than there is between the two breeds. That's totally true if comparing field bred Goldens to Labs, you will skew the whole table off the charts if you include show or part show Goldens in the equation.

John

#36 ·
you will skew the whole table off the charts if you include show or part show Goldens in the equation.
Now waita gol darn minute there John. Are you sayin that show bred goldens are more useless than show bred labs? Nosir, nosir, tain't true at'all. Lots of show bred labs have absolutely no retrieve drive. An' besides that, they look like a keg with legs.

#46 ·
With goldens you can't head straight back to the line when planting blinds, they will follow your back trail on a dead run right back to the blind.

#54 ·
I have both goldens and labs and love them both. I started out with goldens and believe that there will ALWAYS be a golden in my home. I will always have a lab or two around as well.

I find it interesting that there have been a lot of comments about their Goldens doing whatever is asked of them because ALL my goldens have been somewhat stubborn, march to their own tune and have TONS of bottom. They have been fabulous dogs with wonderful temperments and fun to have around. Somewhere along the way my guys picked up the stubborn gene.

My lab on the other hand, wants to please more than anything. She is on the softer side and tends to be sensitive. She has tons of go and drive. She has been EASY all the way through. She's one of the best dogs to have in the house. Sometimes I don't even know she's there. The goldens on the other hand; are ALWAYS under foot!

I'm not sure that there's a huge difference between labs and goldens; perhaps it's just like children, some are one way and others are another way. Dogs come with all kinds of personalities.

Having said all of that, I'll have both, thank you very much!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.