The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Life Immitating Art- Occupy Atlanta Idiots and Rep John Lewis(D)

Default Life Immitating Art- Occupy Atlanta Idiots and Rep John Lewis(D)

This is too funny!

Occupy Atlanta Protesters Use 'Assembly' Rules to Prevent Rep. Lewis From Speaking

Published October 10, 2011 | FoxNews.com

Rep. John Lewis is one of 435 members of the House interminably frustrated by the arcane ways of the Senate. At an Occupy Atlanta protest, he encountered a process arguably worse.

A lengthy video posted online over the weekend showed what happened when the Democratic congressman tried to address an "assembly" of protesters in his home state. Instead of giving the floor to a man who is not just a longtime U.S. representative but a revered civil rights icon, the protesters employed a tangle of parliamentary procedures to ultimately prevent him from speaking.

A stunned Lewis could be seen watching the whole thing unfold before ambling away.

Asked about the incident Monday, a Lewis spokeswoman told FoxNews.com "the only comment that we're going to give is the comments already made." In a prior interview about the matter with the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Lewis said, "It's okay," and that "they didn't really deny me."

The end result, though, was that Lewis did not get to speak to the protesters.

The procedures they used -- rather, invented -- would make the Senate blush. Imagine some combination of Model U.N., Lord of the Flies and a Phish concert.

The central premise, it appeared, was that no one person is inherently more valuable than anyone else. So when the group's leader, a bespectacled man with a bullhorn, said anything, he spoke in clipped fragments so the rest of the crowd could repeat what he was saying back to him. Another rule -- no clapping, because "clapping can prevent someone else who is addressing the assembly from being heard."

Instead, the leader urged everyone to use effusive hand signals to show approval.

With these fundamentals in place, the assembly spent 10 minutes debating whether Lewis should be allowed to speak before the crowd, which had gathered as one of many offshoots of the Occupy Wall Street protests in New York.

When the leader put the question to the group, he asked if there were any "blocks."

Indeed there were. Another demonstrator spoke out to say that while he respects Lewis' contribution to society, the protesters were trying to start "a democratic process in which no singular human being is inherently more valuable than any other human being."

Lewis nodded his head in approval, then appeared to display the makings of a hand signal before giving up and keeping his hands loosely clasped while the debate mounted.

After more commentary from the assembly, the leader took a "temperature check" -- which is not quite a vote. It was evident the group was divided about letting Lewis speak.

So the leader called for a "straw poll." More hand signals followed, and from this the leader was able to infer "the group is very divided about this issue."

Warning that consensus would be elusive on the matter, he proposed continuing "with the agenda."

At this point, Lewis began to make his way out of the crowd. Some started shouting, "Let him speak."

But it was not to be. Another person shouted: "John Lewis is not better than anyone! Democracy won!"

The leader closed by restating the rules. "This group makes its decisions by consensus. We do not have a consensus," he said.

They continued with the agenda.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1aOSDMZZw
    Bill Davis

one of those "rare" days where I decided to listen to the Hannity show while I was driving around running Monday errands..they had a reporter there in Atlanta interviewing people and it sounded more like a Woodstock gathering..they had one woman who believed that corporations should pay so everyone could have health care,and take care of the homeless..but she also believed that she should be able to keep whatever money she earned....WHAT are these people smoking ?, it amazes and also dismays me that people actually believe that someone else should make up whatever deficit there is so someone else can have their "fair share"
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    one of those "rare" days where I decided to listen to the Hannity show while I was driving around running Monday errands..they had a reporter there in Atlanta interviewing people and it sounded more like a Woodstock gathering..they had one woman who believed that corporations should pay so everyone could have health care,and take care of the homeless..but she also believed that she should be able to keep whatever money she earned....WHAT are these people smoking ?, it amazes and also dismays me that people actually believe that someone else should make up whatever deficit there is so someone else can have their "fair share"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZASb3jtjzUk

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    She could be a Congressperson??
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Here is what happens when they go to Myaberry;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chi9L...eature=related

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Let's see. They didn't let a civil rights icon speak. Isn't that racist???
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

One wonders why if they didn't want to hear him they didn't just go somewhere else. The people in our country have gone nuts...........
    It seems that most want to limit other people's rights anymore.

On that note I should add.....you can now be fined $500. per day in Oklahoma if it is found that your dog's bowl has no water in it. And
    add that amount for each dog you own ( for each day ). The animal
    rights people are on the way to putting every dog breeder out of
    business. I have not read the whole list of the new regs since we are
    retired. I don't know if this just applies to dog breeders or if it applies
    to everyone. It looks like everyone who breeds dogs will soon have to
    have a Fed. license. I don't know how many new inspecters that they
    will need !