The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Chupa, Cade and the 3rd Grade Owasso Rams gdg

Default Chupa, Cade and the 3rd Grade Owasso Rams gdg

Chupa, Cade and the 3rd Grade Owasso Rams

To think my presence at the local field trial circuit this fall would be missed would be a classic example of an inflated ego and bloated sense of self worth but I will say the rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. I have truly missed the 2011 fall trial season but I have found something as equally competitive, cut throat, frustrating and yet rewarding as field trials……Oklahoma 3rd Grade Tackle Football.

This summer my nine-year-old son Cade, came to me and said “Dad I want to play tackle football this season”. An avalanche of emotions came over me, I was ecstatic, concerned, and a little disappointed all at the same time. Ecstatic because it had been a long time since a Davis had strapped on a football helmet and mixed it up. Also, this was the opportunity I had been waiting for to give back to the sport that had given me so much. Concerned because my son had never played football before, was big but not very confident in his athletic ability and to be perfectly honest, up until now had pretty much been a mama’s boy. Disappointed, well I have two all age dogs and a qual dog that would more than likely spend the fall trial season on the sidelines. Oh, and did I mention I had kept a pup back from an earlier breeding….Glenhoma’s El Chupacabra aka “Chupa”.

I would like to tell you the Owasso Ram’s 3rd Grade football season has been one of victories and glory but in reality we’ve been getting drilled. What’s funny though is I’ve been having a blast coaching and wouldn’t trade the time I’ve been able to spend and bond with my son for anything. Coaching 3rd graders is a lot like training puppies. Keep it short, clear the area of all distractions, and when they do the littlest thing right you praise them like there is no tomorrow. It’s amazing how they respond with a little positivity. All those years of dog training were finally being used for the greater good!!!!

Funny story, my son and I came home from practice the other night and my daughter asked Cade who was the nicest coach on the team? Cade thought for a second and then said “Dad’s the nice coach, he’s pretty cool”. My wife and daughter were dumb struck and couldn’t believe anyone would consider me the “Nice” anything. Me, I felt like I could run though a brick wall!!!!

As for Chupa, we have taught each other a lot through the fall. We’ve worked every morning and late at night progressing through our obedience and basics. He has shown me that with a little love, time, and effort major progress can be made and that Rome wasn’t built in a day. I know that sounds incredibly obvious but I constantly loose sight of this and want the final product now. Much the same way I had concerns about Cade’s athleticism and wanted him to be this ready-made football player. This fall Cade and Chupa have pretty much been one and the same, a lot of time, effort and love. At the start of the season Cade couldn’t get in his stance, today’s game he started both ways. Chupa, he didn’t know "here" from "sit". Tonight he completed the swim-by. I’m super proud of both and think Coach deserves a beer or two!!!

Best of luck to everyone next weekend at Tulsa. I won’t be there helping throw birds, shoot flyers or get lunches. The Owasso Rams 3rd Grade Team has one more game!!!! Hopefully I’ll have Chupa ready for the Derby next year and if you see a 9 year old doing sprints across the pasture it is just Cade getting ready for next fall!!!

All the best!

Richard Davis
    Official Launcher of the 2005, 2006,2007,2008,2009 & 2010 HRC Fall & Spring Grand!

Richard, It will really hit home when your 50 year old son puts you in a bear hug and says, "Thanks". When you say "for what"? and he answers "For being my Pop". One of the best things about getting old, can't remember what the other one is. Bill-----Congrats!!
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'