RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

GDG - Nice opening day of Pheasant in PA

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  1bdlmn 
#1 ·
Took the pup up to PA this past weekend for early season duck on Friday/Saturday, and opening of small game Saturday afternoon.

The duck crew knocked down 6 woodies (1 of which dove on us and we couldnt get it back), 3 mallards, and a black across the two mornings. Almost had a GWT take our heads off, but we couldnt get guns swung on it fast enough. Dog had a nice blind retrieve on two of the woodies, and marked the other woods and mallards fairly clean.

Saturday's pheasant hunt was pretty amazing, all considering that I've never worked the dog on upland before. Knocked down 22 pheasants between everyone who came and went in the hunting parties that day, in addition to my first grouse (the particular shot on that one was extremely easy compared to most people's reports on how grouse move). Dog marked most of the birds through some decently high brush, which was nice to see an improvement from Friday. In addition to that, she was the only dog we had for the first few hours of the upland hunt, and was learning on her own to sniff out and flush the roosters. About 6 or 8 beautiful hunt-and-flushes, and she retrieved 18 of the 22 chickens on the day.

Extremely proud (and well stocked) pappa here!

(for legal clarifications, we had about 13 people come and go through the day on the upland hunts - 100% legal on limits and such)

Anyone else have some good luck over the weekend?

See less See more
#6 ·
it was an all day ordeal, sunup to sundown. lots of walking, driving to new spots. tired dogs.

they stocked a LOT of birds up within about 20 mile radius of the family farm, so we had a pretty banner opening day. the grouse I got was believed to be fully wild - not sure, but I dont think they stock grouse.

#11 ·
I just got back from SoDak last week. Ate our birds every night for 5 days straight. My favorite was pheasant breast strips with two jalepeno slices and a little bit of cream cheese wrapped with a piece of thinly sliced deli ham. Cook in foil for about 10 minutes on the BBQ then take them out of the foil and get some grill marks...We made a huge mess of them then, ate them on sammiches for lunch the next day too..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.