Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ichthyosis in Goldens

Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

I used the words "informed decision" very purposely. There may be times when a decision is reached to breed a carrier to a carrier or even to an affected, because, as Gerry points out, the gene pool is limited, and we need to be careful not to limit it to the point that it is no longer viable. But, in a carrier to carrier or carrier to affected situation, both the bitch owner and the puppy buyers should know the potential for affected puppies, and what, if any, compensation might be provided if a puppy does develop a significant problem. Or perhaps, in those situations, the bitch owner could test the litter prior to placing them. In any case, the more informed everyone is, the better for the breed.

Interesting articles, Sue. My older boy had adult onset, generalized demodex. It was on his face and all 4 legs. He was on and off of liquid ivermectin for the last several years of his life, which caused him some neurological issues. That was why I had to keep taking him off of it. He never could get to the full therapeutic dose, which might be why we never totally cleared it up.
    The ichthyosis article seems to discuss the more severe form that is found in other breeds. From the little I've read, luckily the form that affects the goldens tends to be much less serious.
    Especially good article on fish oil, anyone taking it should be aware of the blood thinning effects as it could be very important to them some day.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

So very well said, and so very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Myers View Post
    In any case, the more informed everyone is, the better for the breed.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Gerry, thanks for the insight.

I agree with you that the quality of life for the affected dogs appear to be good, however, some of the reading I did indicated that the European dogs seem to be more severely affected by the disorder. We have no idea why some dogs are more severely affected than others.

Last year I had a litter with 7 out of 13 puppies affected. Off I went on a search of the disorder. My girl, Ruby showed no flakes but I talked with the stud owner and he revealed that his dog has had outbreaks of flakes from time to time. He thought it meant that it was time to give Henry a bath. Neither of us had heard of the disorder - much less the test.

Some/most of the puppies had flakes that were hard to find, one was very much covered in flakes. I placed the little girl who was the most affected with a friend. At 17 months old, this pup has grown into a bright, happy, healthy dog with a zest for life. She has outbreaks of flaking from time to time but the fish oil in her diet keeps it to a minimum. Regular swimming has also helped to keep it down. I am unsure it is because the water washes away flakes or if it helps to hydrate the skin. The disorder has NOT slowed her down in the least.

Looking at the pedigree of the parents of this litter, it is apparent that some very talented dogs (and therefore frequently bred) were carriers or affected. I have bred both dogs since that litter - but not with each other. My personal opinion is that I will breed around this recessive gene and not produce any litters that would have any affected puppies. It has also made me look more closely at frequently used sires. Although it is nice to see what a dog has already produced, these recent genetic tests have made me more aware of the hidden but long term impact that they can have on our shrinking gene pool.

Wondering..."some of the reading I did indicated that the European dogs seem to be more severely affected by the disorder. We have no idea why some dogs are more severely affected than others"..

Is the gene pool in Europe even less then here?..so carriers and affected were line bred more, or even outcross had many carriers/affected so it has become more severe?

If we are now select breeding to prevent both parents being carriers or affected producing litters..would possibly prevent a more serious Ichthyosis? .as in some other breeds as well?

This is a good thread...thanks..

ps...my Ranger is clear and Sebec is a carrier

Judy
    Last edited by Judy Chute; 09-30-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie Foster View Post
    How are you sure?
    Just an FYI, OFA is posting Icthyosis results:

NAME REGISTRATION BREED SEX COLOR TEST/FILM DATE AGE OFA # TEST
    LORFIELD'S I GET AROUND SR63736205 GOLDEN RETRIEVER M GOLDEN Jul 26 2012 24 GR-CA22436/24M/C-VPI CARDIAC
    LORFIELD'S I GET AROUND SR63736205 GOLDEN RETRIEVER M GOLDEN Jul 30 2012 24 GR-106408G24M-VPI HIPS
    LORFIELD'S I GET AROUND SR63736205 GOLDEN RETRIEVER M GOLDEN Jul 30 2012 24 GR-EL27154M24-VPI ELBOW
    LORFIELD'S I GET AROUND SR63736205 GOLDEN RETRIEVER M GOLDEN Jun 11 2012 22 GR-PRA244/22M-VPI PROGRESSIVE RETINAL ATROPHY
    LORFIELD'S I GET AROUND SR63736205 GOLDEN RETRIEVER M GOLDEN Jun 13 2012 22 GR-GR177/22M-VPI GR1 PROGRESSIVE RETINAL ATROPHY
    LORFIELD'S I GET AROUND SR63736205 GOLDEN RETRIEVER M GOLDEN Jun 19 2012 23 GR-ICH63/23M-VPI-CAR ICHTHYOSIS
    LORFIELD'S I GET AROUND SR63736205 GOLDEN RETRIEVER M GOLDEN Mar 2 2012 20 GR-346312 CERF
    LORFIELD'S I GET AROUND SR63736205 GOLDEN RETRIEVER M GOLDEN May 30 2012 22 GR-TH2261/22M-VPI THYROID
    Carol Hynes

Carol, do you have to submit them to OFA or is Optigen doing it?
    Thanks

ETA---LORFIELD'S I GET AROUND SR63736205 GOLDEN RETRIEVER M GOLDEN Jun 19 2012 23 GR-ICH63/23M-VPI-CAR ICHTHYOSIS

does that mean carrier?

Barb Gibson
    with
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Chute View Post
    Wondering..."some of the reading I did indicated that the European dogs seem to be more severely affected by the disorder. We have no idea why some dogs are more severely affected than others"..

Is the gene pool in Europe even less then here?..so carriers and affected were line bred more, or even outcross had many carriers/affected so it has become more severe?

If we are now select breeding to prevent both parents being carriers or affected producing litters..would possibly prevent a more serious Ichthyosis? .as in some other breeds as well?

This is a good thread...thanks..

ps...my Ranger is clear and Sebec is a carrier

Judy
    From what recent research I've been doing on the British lines, they seem to have a higher COI on average than the US dogs. At least in that country, I think their breeding pool for field dogs is much smaller than here judging by the pedigrees I've been researching. They also seem to breed the bitches well into their 8th to 10th year, in the case of some I've seen in the more high achieving field dog pedigrees.

They have an interesting pedigree database there called Standfast Data. Similar to K9 Data, but different. You have to email the database administrator to become a "member" before you can do any searches, but it's worth it, if you're interested.