The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ichthyosis in Goldens

Default Ichthyosis in Goldens

I was wondering if any other Golden Breeders are starting to test for this? If so, has anyone considered a data base, like we do for PRA? Or perhaps a line in k9data.com?

I had a litter last year with some affected puppies. The flaking was mild and at 6 months old, the pup with the worst flaking has no symptoms. Of course, I am not repeating that breeding in the future. As I considered the options for next year's litter I realized that I don't have any resources to determine which boys are carriers and which ones are clear.

Any ideas or feedback?

ps - I am starting to test my dogs but at the prices Optigen charges, it will take a few months.

Leslie,
    http://goldendna.com/

Remember don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    It's NOT the end of the world. it's a pain to explain to people but.............
    Just my 2cents.
    I have also had litters were their have been effected puppies.
    The symptoms still persist. They don't go away OR are cured. It is managed with a good shampoo and
    http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/produc...TAG&URLCheck=1
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

Thanks Sue,

It was depressing at the time to realize that despite all my efforts to breed healthy, quality puppies that this recessive genetic had shown up. But recessive is just that - recessive. Both parents are excellent dogs, titled, with great pedigrees, all their health clearances. They have value to future generations of Goldens. Just not with each other.

I like the link to the skin supliment. One of my families added fish oil to the diet and that helped enormously. Another breeder told me that additional swim time helps to hydrate the skin and keep the flakes down.

There is a good article in the May/June issue of Golden Retriever News on Ichthyosis. Of course, this magazine came out in July and my puppies were born in May.

I have no problem breeding around a genetic problem, but I want to be able to identify the dogs who are carriers.

I am having the samples that I have at Optigen tested for Ich but some of my dogs are prcd-PRA clear by parentage and now I have to do blood draws on them.

The optigen test is the answer.
    I just did PRA-prcd & ichthyosis on Fisher, the ichthyosis test came back today as clear and still waiting in prcd.
    Anney Doucette
    Gainesville FL
    www.k9-design.com
    & "Fisher" CH Deauxquest Hard Day's Knight UDT VER RAE MH WCX CCA VCX OS DDHF; Can. CD WC
    & "Slater" Morninglo Wing-T Your Bird Can Sing CD MH WCX CCA VC
    & Bally too! (puppy)
    www.go-fisher.com

When you get your results you can submit them to http://www.goldendna.org/ for listing. I have not heard yet whether OFA will be listing those results as it will do with the PRA tests.
    Shelly Blom & the Sterre Goldens
    "Breeze" HR Trowsnest Sterre Autumn Breeze MH CCA/Can SH WCX
    "Butch" Can. Ch Sterre Badlands Outlaw JH WCI CDX/Am JH
    "Bonnie" Sterre Texas Bluebonnet JH WCI/Am JH
    "Winter" Can/UKC Ch Amberwood Winter Wonderland SH WCX CD CCA VC/Can SH CD WCX VCI (at the bridge)
    Guelph, ON

my 5 y/o old male has it. Was much worse when he was younger. Flairs up twice a year as he sheds his coat. Fish oil pills twice a day helps a lot.
    I'd never even heard of it until he started looking like a walking snow storm as a pup. It's not the end of the world as I thought when he was diagnosed with it.

You're somewhat local to me. He came out of Minneapolis. Any connections in bloodlines?
    http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=234406

I found out after the fact that his sire has it also.
    Goldens Rule !!!

Quote Originally Posted by sterregold View Post
    When you get your results you can submit them to http://www.goldendna.org/ for listing. I have not heard yet whether OFA will be listing those results as it will do with the PRA tests.
    I'm sure OFA will start listing them. Probably takes them some time to get their website coding done to add new stuff like this. When GoldenDNA started, we anticipated that new tests would get added. Since it is a much smaller group than OFA has to deal with, it can be done more easily.

The good news is that more clear ICT results have been coming in over the past 7 to 10 days. Looking more hopeful that the original listings were skewed by those dogs where ICT was already suspected. Webmaster has had to schedule periodic updates to the site since there has been a lot of volume lately.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Melanie Foster

How are you sure?
    Last edited by Melanie Foster; 10-26-2011 at 09:53 PM.

[quote=Melanie Foster;870935]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    I'm sure OFA will start listing them./quote]

How are you sure?
    If GRCA asks them to, I can't imagine them refusing to do so. They responded quickly to listing PRA1 results, which was a totally new test.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by 150class View Post
    my 5 y/o old male has it. Was much worse when he was younger. Flairs up twice a year as he sheds his coat. Fish oil pills twice a day helps a lot.
    I'd never even heard of it until he started looking like a walking snow storm as a pup. It's not the end of the world as I thought when he was diagnosed with it.

You're somewhat local to me. He came out of Minneapolis. Any connections in bloodlines?
    http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=234406

I found out after the fact that his sire has it also.
    Not a single connection in the two pedigrees. Nice looking dog and I know his Grandpa - Freeze. Handsome boys!