The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ichthyosis in Goldens

Leslie, if Optigen already has tested your dog for prcd, you will NOT have to send a new sample. When you order your test, when it tells you to select the type of sample you are sending, check the box for "long-term storage".

Shelly, Trooper's test for ICT just came back clear Should be on GoldenDNA.org with next update.

Have also noted from listings being submitted that PRA1 doesn't seem to be as widespread as prcd is among the field lines. The "theory" seemed to be that PRA1 would be more likely to show up in UK/Euro lines. That does seem to be the case ... but it could also be that some as-yet-unidentified PRA gene is more responsible for PRA even in those lines than the PRA1 gene. The PRA1 testing that is coming in is more random than the prcd testing was in the first year.

Right now you have to submit (on GoldenDNA) a separate permission for each test (and the test results, too). Have asked the webmaster about being able to combine multiple permissions on one form ... but I'm not the techy one, so don't know how soon that can be accomplished.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by 150class View Post
    my 5 y/o old male has it. Was much worse when he was younger. Flairs up twice a year as he sheds his coat. Fish oil pills twice a day helps a lot.
    I'd never even heard of it until he started looking like a walking snow storm as a pup. It's not the end of the world as I thought when he was diagnosed with it.

You're somewhat local to me. He came out of Minneapolis. Any connections in bloodlines?
    http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=234406

I found out after the fact that his sire has it also.
    You should list your dog with www.GoldenDNA.org and also make notation on his k9data entry. As more dogs get listed in both places, it will be helpful to others in their research of pedigrees.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Garden State GRC is having a health clinic on 4/22/12. If you already have tested a dog for something with Optigen, you can use the Garden State clinic code to do additional testing on your dog. (GSGRC124)

This applies to all breeds ... but you CANNOT send new samples direct to Optigen with this code. The clinic discount only applies to samples sent with the on-site clinic shipment OR samples already in-house with Optigen from previous testing.

The Optigen website does not specify the discount code period. Usually the codes are good about one week prior to the actual clinic & one week after. You will need to check with Optigen on that.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Gerry,
    "The Optigen website does not specify the discount code period. Usually the codes are good about one week prior to the actual clinic & one week after. You will need to check with Optigen on that."
    So I have to wait till a week before clinic or a week after to order the tests for Icth. on the 3 Goldens that have been tested for pra-prcd?
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Kiefer View Post
    Leslie,
    http://goldendna.com/

Remember don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    It's NOT the end of the world. it's a pain to explain to people but.............
    Just my 2cents.
    I have also had litters were their have been effected puppies.
    The symptoms still persist. They don't go away OR are cured. It is managed with a good shampoo and
    http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/produc...TAG&URLCheck=1
    Sue
    Can't agree more with you Sue. I have controlled it with proper diet.
    Tony C. Zappia
    www.tonyzappia.com
    FTCH Adirondac Tea for Two WC, ** (Tea), 2009 GRCA National Specialty Derby win, Open Win
    (Fireside) Field of Emeralds (Emme)
    Heads Up Winter Storm Warning (Ice)

Sue,

I have a Lab that has an area with little hair and with some scarring due to surgery. He tends to scratch it at times so I ordered the Demoscent Essential which you recommended to try and reduce any itchiness. How did you do the initial applications since he is in water on a fairly regular basis. Did this present a problem?

Thanks. I appreciate the site for purchasing various products.

Glenda

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Kiefer View Post
    Gerry,
    "The Optigen website does not specify the discount code period. Usually the codes are good about one week prior to the actual clinic & one week after. You will need to check with Optigen on that."
    So I have to wait till a week before clinic or a week after to order the tests for Icth. on the 3 Goldens that have been tested for pra-prcd?
    Sue
    You can send an email to the 20/20 Clinic Coordinator. Should be a "contact us" button there somewhere.

Yes, you will have to wait until the clinic code is "active" to get the discounted price.

You can order the test any time. Since they have your dogs' DNA samples already, all you have to do is fill out the online order form & pay by credit card. (I don't think they take Discover or American Express).

With just the online ordering discount the ICT test comes to $114; with the clinic discount it comes out to $90. So, for 3 dogs, it does begin to add up.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

I also got some other questions:

3 dogs that I think that I would like to test for icthyosis, and possibly the PRA1. They have already been tested for prcd-PRA. Is there one particular person whom we contact?
    No. You just fill out the online order form & check the box that says "sample in storage" (or something like that)
    And then you put in the clinic code on the form.

Do you know what the discount prices are going to be?
    If you do more than one test on the same dog ... with a clinic discount you can get both the ICT and PRA1 test for about $134 ... 45% discount; 20% discount for doing more than one test on the same dog; 20% clinic discount; 5% discount for online ordering. It's almost like getting one test free Testing for both with the clinic discount is only $20 more than testing for ONLY ICT with only the online ordering discount.

Should we contact OPtigen now and tell them that we want to do it during this discount period?
    You can contact Optigen to ask about when the discount code will be active.

They probably didn't post a time period (as they usually do), because they didn't expect a bargain-hunter (me) to ask them about using the code for previously stored samples.

Please do contact them to ask for the time period ... and share.

Even if you did not pay for long-term storage, we found out last Sept. that they have held onto virtually all the samples previously submitted simply because they had space available to do so. When they run out of space, they will start discarding the oldest samples first ... unless you did pay for 10-year storage.

These are all simple, autosomal recessive mutations ... so some people have looked at their pedigrees carefully & tested selectively. I don't do the DNA testing until AFTER I do hips and elbows. Some people have shared testing costs with the owner of their litters' sires ... saving $ for both parties.

Yes, this begins to get expensive with multiple dogs! If you want to discuss specific groups of dogs for cost-conscious testing, just email me at my direct email address ... PMs are cumbersome.

Also, don't forget that the GRCA Natl Spec clinic is a great time to do testing. For all 3 tests on one dog, it works out great with 45% discount on all the tests ... don't recall all the #s off the top of my head, but it's something like $233 for all three, which would regularly cost $395. $233 is only about $50 more than you'd pay for prcd testing alone without the clinic discount.

Most recent stats on www.GoldenDNA.org show that of 113 dogs listed, 11 are affected & 46 carriers. That's just over 50% that carry at least one copy of this mutated gene.

We're very fortunate that this particular disease is not a really big issue in Goldens even for affected dogs. However, in spite of that some service groups find it unacceptable due to cosmetic issues for dogs that go to public places.

Even though this mutation seems to be widespread across a broad spectrum of bloodlines, we should always be wary of being too quick to cull carriers, or even affected dogs ... when the next DNA test comes along, it may be a more serious disease and those dogs may be "clear" for whatever that "new" disease might be.

G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    I also got some other questions:

We're very fortunate that this particular disease is not a really big issue in Goldens even for affected dogs. However, in spite of that some service groups find it unacceptable due to cosmetic issues for dogs that go to public places.

Even though this mutation seems to be widespread across a broad spectrum of bloodlines, we should always be wary of being too quick to cull carriers, or even affected dogs ... when the next DNA test comes along, it may be a more serious disease and those dogs may be "clear" for whatever that "new" disease might be.

I strongly agree that we should not eliminate these dogs from the gene pool. We already have a shrinking gene pool and who knows what else will rise to the surface.

We are lucky in that ICH has a wide range in the degree it affects the dog. Some dogs only have mild flaking at times to a perpetual hardening of the skin, hair loss, and discomfort.

Thank you Gerry for goldendna.com. and the owners who test and post the results of their dogs. It gives all of us the information to make informed decisions when breeding our dogs.

I am planning to breed my ICH carrier girl again - but to a clear male.

We are lucky in that ICH has a wide range in the degree it affects the dog. Some dogs only have mild flaking at times to a perpetual hardening of the skin, hair loss, and discomfort.
    I had not heard of any Goldens with this disease having hair loss or discomfort, even when they have extensive flaking that persists into adulthood. However, I have to admit to knowing very little about ICT, am only going by what I hear from those who have experienced it.

Evidently, other breeds DO have some significant problems. In humans the disease can also effect the eyes. In fetal development eye and skin cells both originate from fetal epithelial cells, so I can see that possible connection. Can also see where it would be a seriouso problem if the flaking issue included eye cells after birth.

So, it's wise for us to be intelligently cautious without getting hysterical. Probably a good path regardless of what disease we have to deal with in our dogs.

Interestingly, as we learn more about diseases at the genetic level and how the same mutated genes can occur in very unrelated dog families, outcrossing can still turn up unexpected problems. Dog breeding is getting more complex!
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com