RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Absolute self stupidity - dog pays

9K views 68 replies 52 participants last post by  Byron Musick 
#1 ·
Never thought in a million years I would be posting anything of the sort. Right now no one can be any harder on me for my stupidity or kick me any harder than I have. just stunned right now truth be told.

Short of of it is we have had some mischief stuff go on with young adult kids in our acreage area. Well tonight, the door bell rang, no one there of course. So went out in the garage and grabbed my little girl (she is the alpha bitch, little miss protector) and we went for a walk, well damn if we didnt run into a car that was parked with lights off up the road, well short of it is, he ran her over tonight. It was like it happened in slow motion, fraction of a second, one I want back. What the hell was I fricken thinking....................... immediately off to emergency vet, my girl is a very stoich dog, she is only 18 months and tell you she has gone thru hell and back this hunting season, 3 weeks ago she was bit by a copperhead. Anyways tons of superficial wounds, loss of blood and her front shoulder , something definitely wrong. xrays of stomach abdomen look good, front shoulder, turns out she has a broken humerous in 3 places. joints look good, break was one third up from bottom of bone. doc sez $5k day, guess these are the days you wish you took the dog insurance. She is settled at the moment, drugged up, they are going to monitor tonight, tomorrow is long weekend and they need to find a surgeon to come in and do the operation tomorrow as it cant wait thru the weekend. then hope she is physically able to make it thru the surgery meaning nothing else going on that we dont know about, she lost allot of blood.

People say broken bones are sometimes better than dealing with tendons and ligaments. not much on google making me feel better at the moment. going to be a long night before i get that phone call in the morning as to whether we can get her into surgery asap, prayers for a successful recovery

I dont think I can beat myself anymore for my own fricken stupidity, what the hell was I thinking, I just fill ill. Right now money aside, I just want a full healthy recovery, keep telling my self it could have been a hell of allot worst, then other side, you stupid idiot.

See less See more
#2 ·
We all do stupid things that our dogs pay for I'm just glad she's still alive I hope you catch those Aholes and do the same thing to them they did to your dog sending good thoughts her way.

#3 · (Edited)
Prayers from the east for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

#9 ·
Don't be so hard on yourself. From what you're saying you went out for a walk and were exposed to a situation that you in no way could have predicted.

Hope the recovery of your pup is speedy.

#10 ·
Agreed, no need to beat yourself up for this one--I think many of us here would do the same thing if we felt threatened. Hoping your girl makes a full recovery and don't worry about the $. When she's recovered and back to her whole self I promise, you won't ever begrudge the things you had to give up to pay her vet bills.

#12 ·
Focus forward, on your dog..... prayers for her recovery. I'm sorry this happened.

#13 ·
Don't beat yourself up, I would have done the same thing. Cant fix what has happened now. We had a bad spell of break ins in my neighborhood about 3 months ago, someone was getting robbed or a car broken into every night. Any time my wife went outside I had her sit Rayder on the porch in case someone came after her and I wasn't there. These dog love us and will protect us at all costs, all we can try to do is do the same for them.

My heart goes out to you.

#15 ·
Dang man, really sorry to hear that. I don't think you should beat yourself up either. I hope I'll be reading soon that they caught the people responsible and something bad happened to them.

#16 ·
I personally don't think you did anything stupid...

Prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

FOM

#17 ·
Man, you are sooo lucky the b*st*rds did not run you over while they were at it! Don't let the bad guys make YOU feel like the guilty party. Identify them and prosecute!

I wish the very best to your girl and hope the ordeal is over very soon.

#18 ·
I would have done the same thing if I felt threatened as you did. Prayers for your girl!

#19 ·
Don't beat yourself up - hindsight is always 20/20. Best wishes to your girl for a speedy recovery.

#21 ·
You have to forgive yourself. The last thing in the world you wanted was for that to happen. That's why they call them accidents. Unfortunately we all have stories we could share, moments we wish we take back. Free yourself of any guilt and put all your energy into your dogs recovery.

God Bless.

G
#22 ·
The only stupid thing you did was forget your gun. ;)

I'm just glad it seems like she'll be ok. We'll keep you guys in our prayers. And I hope the situation with the delinquents is resolved. That's got to be stressful. I certainly wouldn't leave her anywhere out of sight or outside at all...

#23 ·
The only stupid thing you did was forget your gun. ;)

I'm just glad it seems like she'll be ok. We'll keep you guys in our prayers. And I hope the situation with the delinquents is resolved. That's got to be stressful. I certainly wouldn't leave her anywhere out of sight or outside at all...
That's what I was thinking.

I think most of us in the same situation would have taken a dog with us for the walk. I would have. I would have had a gun too but that's neither here nor there. It's easy to second guess after a bad result. Could have easily gone the other way and the dog came out the hero for chasing them off or otherwise protecting you.

Good luck to your girl and please keep us posted on the recovery.

#24 ·
update: reported to police, not holding my breath, move onwards

Boo- scheduled for surgery in the next half hour, surgeon said it is a nasty fracture, 3 possibly 4 breaks, the good news is doesnt involve the elbow. 1 or 2 plates to fix with screws, 8-10 weeks recovery. The good news is bones will heal. Then they went thru surgery risks yada yada. She has a ton of road rash, all superficial, cleaned up, now sit on pins and needles to see how the surgery goes, then I will breath easier.

Thanks for everyone's well wishes. Im not the type of person to share like this, have to say there is a little therapeutic stress relief from such a great community. I am humbled, Thank you!

#33 ·
Im not the type of person to share like this, have to say there is a little therapeutic stress relief from such a great community. I am humbled, Thank you!
Well if you can't share it here where folks know how much your dog means to you then where CAN you share it?

I hope the surgery has gone well.

#25 ·
Prayer for a successful surgery and rehab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.