The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Push-pull

Default Push-pull

Could someone please explain push-pull drill to me. Thanks

There are more ways than one to run one, but I prefer a simple modified Wagon Wheel Lining Drill using only 4 bumpers initially. Each bumper is planted 90 degrees apart to provide a couple significant advantages.

With dog & handler in the center of the "wheel", the bumpers (placed about 6 paces each from the dog) represent a visual target for the dog to lock on, and get used to sitting up straight and tall - prepared to run straight ahead as commanded. Once the dog returns, he delivers the bumper, the bumper is returned to its spot, and then the handler turns the dog either right or left to retrieve the next bumper. This offers large, clear 90 degree turns that build effective movement with the handler.

As the dog develops good habits you can add the additional 4 bumpers, located between the previous ones. That provides a full, single tier, 8-bumper Wagon Wheel drill on smaller turns.

Does this help?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Place some bumbers out in a line or around in a circle (wagon wheel) about 10 yards away.

Sit the dog at your side and line him up for a bumper. Send him and then receive facing the same spot. pitch the bumper back to the spot. Now move the dog to another bumper. To push is to move the dog away from the handler. To pull is to move the dog toward the handler.

Example. If the dog is at your left side, you would push to move to the left or pull to move them to the right. It is common to use the word heel when pushing and the word here when pulling.

In the wagon wheel lining drill you may start with just 4 white bumpers at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'clock positions. When going smoothly, you can add orange bumpers in between and about 5 yards beyond the white. You can advance to 8 white bumpers and 8 orange in-between. Some even go to 16 white and 16 orange but I never have.

Drill works on communication and getting fine line adjustments also is a no-no drill in that if the dog takes a very poor initial line you will calmly tell them no and try again, likely moving up to simplify. This is no place for ecollar corrections. Use attrtion only.

perfect guys...thank you...Evan, I have all your Smartworks volumes at home, but I'm at school, and just working on formulating my training plan tonight....lol

Quote Originally Posted by bumper52 View Post
    perfect guys...thank you...Evan, I have all your Smartworks volumes at home, but I'm at school, and just working on formulating my training plan tonight....lol
    Evan has already formulated the plan. All you have to do is follow it.

I know...he takes all the fun out of everything!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by bumper52 View Post
    I know...he takes all the fun out of everything!!! lol

Any plan is 10% of the process, implementing it adeptly is 90%.
    I believe initial introduction 'pinch to open' FF doctrine is as progressive as shooting a dog with bird shot to get it to sit on a whistle. AS

*"That you are confused is VERY APPARENT. Are you a politician as well as a FORMER pro dog trainer who QUIT because YOU think that the trial game is all wrong?"

For a left sided dog, Heel for moving left, Heel has a "L" for left in it. Here for moving right, Here has an "R" for right in it. That's the way that I remembered it initially.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

The wagon wheel is really better suited to teaching the dog how to stay lined up with you and working with you in the heel position. Push/Pull is more about using your influence to slightly adjust the dogs head. A good drill for this is the 3 bumper pile drill.

1. Put 3 piles out in a line, spaced 10 feet apart, 2 bumpers in each pile.
    2. Line up with the dog facing the middle pile. Start close, 10' or so from the pile.
    3. Using your outside leg move forward slightly or lean back slightly to push/pull the dogs head to the pile you want him to go to. If he doesn't go to the right pile, use attrition. To increase difficulty move back.

This is pictured in the Dobb's Retriever training book if I recall.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

It appears to me that the missing ingredient in these descriptions is that in a wagon wheel drill, you line the dog's eyes, head, spine and tail to the bumper you want. In a push/pull drill you have the dog's spine and tail pointing at one bumper and you push or pull their head and eyes to another bumper and expect/require the dog not to move their body and to go for the bumper at which they are looking. It looks like most of you are describing a wagon wheel drill.