RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Air Rifles

4K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Spring 
#1 ·
Don't know anything about 'em, but thinking about getting one. Would be used for plinking, small varmits, just messing around. Imput on calibers, brands and any other insight appreciated.

Thanks

#4 ·
The red ryder is ok. Its slow and doesnt shoot pellets. Its good for plinking but varmint control... not so great. I bounced a BB off of a blue jay at 30 feet. If you want something inexpensive look for a crossman 760. Its a max of 10 pumps. It can shoot bb's or pellets. Its an all around decent gun for the beginner/plinker.

Personally I like RWS break barrel pellet guns! Ive taken fox out at 30 yards with it. But then again they are pricey.

#5 ·
RWS or Beeman. I have RWS, a model 34 and a sidelever 54. Both from Diana lines. They're are pricey but reliable. Caliber for varmint use .22.

#6 · (Edited)
I know you said rifle, but check out those C02 semi auto pistol just for kicks. You can find em for <$50. They aren't much good for varmit hunting, but being able to let 15 bb's fly as fast as you can pull the trigger with no cocking or pumping is pretty fun.

As far as rifles goes, seems like there were/are lots of $100, 1,000 fps deals out there on the single shot, crack barrel type. Gamo, Beeman, Ruger, even Crossman has a couple decent ones.

#10 ·
Gamo or other similar break barrel rifles have inherent inaccuracy when used with a scope. Namely the scope is mounted on the receiver while the barrel breaks away on a hinge, never to quite return to the same alignment with the scope. You can get close with lots of speed but not consistently tight groups. I have one and learned this the hard way.
Best bet is the pump up style like the crosman mentioned earlier. JMO

#11 ·
I own a Gamo Shadow Sport that I use for both small varmits and plinkimg. It will get it up to 1200fps with PBA pellets. It's a lot of fun to shoot. The rifle is awesome, but the scope that came with it stinks. I believe that I paid well over $100. Bought it at an Academy here in Houston.

#13 ·
These kinds of guns have come a long way since you were a kid. I guess since there aren't as many hunting and shooting opportunities in some European countries, these guns are particularly popular over there. As a result, you'll find the best made guns coming to us from across the pond. The good ones, just like with a quality deer rifle. have good triggers and great accuracy. You can spend a bundle on them, but here's one that is quite affordable and will shoot lights out: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_RWS_350_Magnum_177_TO5_Trigger/396. I bought one like this a couple if months ago and it's awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.