RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Mechanics need help please! gdg

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  1st retriever 
#1 ·
97 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 179K Tranny was rebuilt less than 10K ago. Makes a whining noise and doesn't want to move. Am I looking at tranny issues again? Makes noise in all gears except neutral without stepping on the gas.

96 Chevy 2500 6.5L Turbo Diesel 4x4 259K Has been dying on me. New fuel filter, pump is running fine. Doesn't always want to start after dying but does. Until today. Refuses to start. Turns over fine. It is sitting 25 miles away where it quit. Any ideas?

These are my only two vehicles and they have both crapped out on me. Need help big time! These are over my head at the moment. Any and all help appreciated! Thanks!

#4 ·
Lol Yeah, all dodge has going for it is looks. The chevy was dying before the filter change.

#7 ·
you may have a servo that went bad in the transmission on the truck that only makes noises in all gears, get it checked out by a transmission shop tell them that you do not want a new transmission as you just had it replaced, but you want it fixed usually 4 hour shop time if they are honest.

on the diesel, when replacing a fuel filter on them you should fill them with diesel before putting them on, can be messy but reduces amount of air in the line, and just because you put a new filter on doesnt mean it is still good, I have seen a few time that people got into a dirty batch of fuel and the filter is bad with in a week

good luck

#8 ·
Can I drive the dodge or not then? Will have it looked at within a week or two. The Chevy, it started this morning. It seems that it will start after it has cooled off. Did some searching and read that it could be the PMD (for the life of me I can't think of what that stands for at the moment). That would rule out air in the lines since it starts after being cooled down.

#9 ·
Oh and the dodge is full on tranny fluid.

#14 ·
Pump is $1000 so it better not be!

#11 ·
if the chevy diesel was doing it before a filter change then air in the lines is not the answer. Even if it did have air in the system, the system would purge itself of the air after being ran. I can't give you diagnosis on what is going on because their are way too many factors to take into consideration. I'd suggest finding a shop you trust and have a full internal inspection done. Once they diagnose the issues. Ask them to show you the issues not just tell you about them. If you can see it, you can believe it, if you see it and believe it, then you'll buy it. I ran/managed an auto shop for several years this is the motto I stuck with. Seeing is believing

#16 ·
"It Depends" You sound just like a dog trainer......;)

#12 ·
I haven't seen many dodge 4x4's that didn't have tranny problems. A friend of mine bought a new one in 2000-2001 and I told him not to pull anything with it but he pulled a 16ft trailer and a small tractor and ruined the tranny.

#13 ·
97 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 179K Tranny was rebuilt less than 10K ago. Makes a whining noise and doesn't want to move. Am I looking at tranny issues again? Makes noise in all gears except neutral without stepping on the gas.
Check your paperwork. If the tranny was rebuilt less than 10k it could possibly still be under warranty...most shops warranty their work 12 months/12k miles (which ever comes first).

We had a guy tow his car into our repair shop today. Had he brought the car in when it sarted making noises (timing belt tensioner) we could have saved him $3500.00 but instead he listened to Internet advise <VBG>

#15 ·
Check your paperwork. If the tranny was rebuilt less than 10k it could possibly still be under warranty...most shops warranty their work 12 months/12k miles (which ever comes first).
No warranty. Was done @ school. Didn't know that til after.

#18 ·
Thanks to everyone! Have some good things to check into. As of right now the Chevy is running just fine. Going to start with some injector cleaner in the Chevy and go from there. Not sure why it would have an issue after it is warmed up though. The dodge will just have to sit for the mean time and I will get to it when I can. Right now I have it for sale so if anyone is interested send me a pm. lol Sharp looking truck. If anyone has any other ideas please throw them out there. Will update when I have any news. Thanks again, you guys are great!

#19 ·
Trade them both in on a F-250. :razz:
I know guys that have owned dodges and everyone had to have the tranny replaced or rebuilt.

#20 ·
If I had money or a job (been unemployed since May) I would trade them in on a newer Chevy maybe a Ford. Never a Dodge again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.