The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: North Star Dog Box

Default North Star Dog Box

I am looking for advise on a two dog slide in box. I am interested in a North star box that is insulated, has aluminum doors, and top storage. My biggest concern is the durability of plastic compared to an Ainley or other double walled stainless box. I do however like the idea of Northstars floor pan and temperature control. Any advise?

I know some people that have the run of the mill 2 hole boxes without the upgraded doors or insulation and I know they've really like theirs. I've also seen a picture of someone who had a 2 hole with top storage in the back of a mid sized pickup that rolled and the crumpled roof stopped at the height of the box. That says a bit about dog safety.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

Thanks for your help. If anyone has any advise on any other good 2 hole insulated boxes please let me know. I am looking to do something in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by tr_cory View Post
    Thanks for your help. If anyone has any advise on any other good 2 hole insulated boxes please let me know. I am looking to do something in the near future.
    I took a good look at them at GameFair and thought they were very well built, so much so that it will be my next box. I was not planning on getting the tray for the simple fact that I like to put a blanket or straw in the box. Looked like it is very easy to clean out because there is no bottom lip like a lot of the metal ones have. The only thing that I thought looked cheap was the mesh metal grates on the front, I thought the louvers were nice.

Exclamation

I absolutely love my North Star boxes. They are very tough and stay way cooler than my old aluminum one I had. I would say they are very strong. Don't let the idea of plastic fool you into thinking these boxes are not tough. I don't know of any other dog box company that has a life time warranty on their stuff. I ordered my with Phil and he answered every question I had. Real easy guy to talk to and knows his stuff in and out. No doubt if I ever need another box North Star would be my first call.

Does any one know if they will stain or discolor easily?

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

I have had my Northstar box for 2-3 years and love it. I may order another one soon!! No discoloration issues with my box.
    Mike Peters

Mine is at least 6 years old. Hit it with a pressure washer and will be blinding white. Stays cool. No durability issues.
    Gravitate towards those whose dogs run nicely, are happy, and the handlers/owners are also nice and happy. - Chris A 01/12

Rick Wiley

I've had mine for a few months. I love it! I will try and post a picture of it so you can see. I also ordered through Phil and got exactly what I wanted. I have really large labs and they made the perfect box to fit into my tacoma. i would have liked storage but decided against it for the time being although they would have been able to accommodate. The box they built for me has insulation, the fan (which is EXTREMELY nice) and louvered doors. My dogs love it! I also did not get the grated flooring with the pan as it adds height and I also like to put a blanket or something in with them and have a raised panel that I used in my old kennels. Get one and you will NOT be disappointed!

I also get TONS of compliments at tests and sometimes just out and about (had a guy at rural king that wanted to check it out last week) and recommend them to anyone who notices!
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

After purchasing my boxes from Phil a while back He just sent me a follow up just to see how things were going. North Star's customer service is second to none! Good people to work with!