The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: North Star Dog Box

I have looked at this box and I am still confused on the insulation factor in hot weather. The steel camp says the Northstar boxes do not insulate enough (compared to steel) while the Northstar say the exact opposite. What is the story...who is telling the truth?

Stainless actually causes heat loss faster than aluminum due to the conductive nature of stainless over aluminum. You can also argue the oposite during warm months when you're trying to exhaust as much heat out of the box as possible. This plastic is far less conductive to heat and cold than any metal out there. The insides are the same as far as insulation goes but in the end I wouldn't think there's much of a noticeable difference between the conductivity of heat other than the surface color which would give the benefit to the white northstar box over the grey of a metal box.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH QAA (Shooter)

I have never heard of north star boxes not insulating enough compared to steel. I have had diamond plate boxes and my brother had a "high dollar" stainless box and we both think my north star boxes keep the dogs cooler than the metal ones we use to have

Quote Originally Posted by cj6530 View Post
    I have looked at this box and I am still confused on the insulation factor in hot weather. The steel camp says the Northstar boxes do not insulate enough (compared to steel) while the Northstar say the exact opposite. What is the story...who is telling the truth?
    I don't see any posts that discuss this, did I miss them or did you get them by P.M.?
    I'm asking because I plan I buying one and I haven't heard that argument at all.

I was under the understanding that the plastic is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. The example I was given compared sitting on a plastic bench on a hot summer day or cold winter day, compared to sitting on an alluminum one. I just looked up YETI coolers and the are also made from polyethylene plastics..... and from what I have heard they insulate rather well.
    Last edited by tr_cory; 12-06-2011 at 07:49 PM.

It's been getting pretty cold here lately (High 20s low 30s). Took a roadtrip to mom and dad's and back on the interstate in this weather with the dogs in the back of my pickup with vents and louvers closed. I was driving about 72 or so the whole way basically-got home 2 hours later and let them both out- went to pet them and they were toasty warm. I had a blanket in each one but they had BOTH wadded them up at the front and were towards the back so they must've been hot. I'd say they insulate well. Like I said before, I love my northstar and so do my dogs. Good luck with your decision. I have never used a stainless or aluminum but know people that have had both and my northstar was cooler than either of those on a really hot day in September at a hunt test.
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    The rookie- Jamstar's Hot Tubb "Cuzzi"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

I am looking at these boxes right now and wondering if anyone has put a 3 hole box with a bottom drawer under a topper. I would like to be able to get this under my topper with a fan and looking to see if anyone has done this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sadie & Ruby View Post
    I am looking at these boxes right now and wondering if anyone has put a 3 hole box with a bottom drawer under a topper. I would like to be able to get this under my topper with a fan and looking to see if anyone has done this.

Thanks
    I'm waiting for a 2 hole w/ bottom storage to go under my topper but my truck is a Nissan Frontier (mid sized). I had them put the fan on the back where I can place an open cooler of ice so the fan will pull air across it to the dogs. I've got a bed slide so I can get to my gear in front of the box.

If I didn't have the topper, I'd probably go w/ Ainley for weather ability but under a topper, it's no concern, plus it'll be a lot easier to take out when I need my truck bed.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

Id stay away from them! I Just got My 3 Hole from them 4 days ago. they came 1/2 shorter then i ordered over all outside measurment. Because of the 1-1/2 square tube they used i on the doors i lost a totally of two inches on my inside dimentions of each hole. My female is very long bodied and my my is 90 lbs they dont fit in it at all . The doors all sagged when i got it off the delivery truck the screws were already pulling out of the plastic they were screwed into. Not to mention the were mounted backwards. "the dogs cant even get into the boxes" from the back of the truck. They used a belt sander to smooth the beads out after they welded the plastic together. What that did was cause a porosity in the plastic so it gets dirty easy, looks horrible!! I havent even used them yet. since i cant!

Those boxes look to have very small holes and are expensive compared to DS MT or Anley
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts