The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Force Fetch Time Line

Senior Member RailRoadRetrievers's Avatar

Default Realistic Force Fetch Time Line

Okay, in all honesty, how many days (not rushing, taking enough time to teach each step, and making certain they know it before the next step). So if I went from hold to walking fetch or FTP, how long would that take with two a day sessions?

I took my time on the last two dogs

Every dog is different. I tell myself a month but it really varies. Some dogs fly through it and others seem to take forever.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I'm with Wayne, every dog is different. I'd guess normally 3 to 4 weeks.

The shortest I've done was Chena River Wild Lady. She took about 10 days. Heck, it took me 3 or 4 days to find something she did not want to fetch. Finally found that she didn't like tin cans in her mouth and got refusals on them. When she'd pick up a mini pile of tin cans at 4 or 5 feet away without refusals I considered her done with ff.

The longest was over 6 weeks just on the ff and she fought me every step of the way. Got her picking up the wooden buck but she refused the red 2" bumper. Worked on her with the bumper but then she wouldn't fetch the 2" white bumper. After she was fetching the 2" red, white and black plastic bumpers I started on 3" bumpers. Every step was a fight that lasted a day maybe two. Then we had fights over the canvas bumpers. Then fights over a pile of mixed bumpers at 4-5 feet and then a fight over walking fetch, stick fetch, and fetch no fetch. All during these steps she'd regress just to see if I still would make her pick up something or other, always testing me. She was one hard bitch to ff. AND this one liked retrieving and birds. She was one stubborn bitch. FTP and the TT was just as hard as FF with her.
    Last edited by Howard N; 12-08-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

im on day 23 right now with a boykin and i feel like he's progressing very well and at a timely fashion. id rather do it too long than have any holes. we are about to start walking fetch in about 3 more days.

To me, a complete force fetch procedure includes forcing to a pile, forcing into water, and through water.
    I have found that with a dog of reasonable intelligence, and with a good attitude, this can be done in 12 days. There are some exceptions, but this usually works.

Dayuuuuum them Canada dogs muss be sompin !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Grant View Post
    To me, a complete force fetch procedure includes forcing to a pile, forcing into water, and through water.
    I have found that with a dog of reasonable intelligence, and with a good attitude, this can be done in 12 days. There are some exceptions, but this usually works.
    Can I send you all my client dogs for training?
    I believe initial introduction 'pinch to open' FF doctrine is as progressive as shooting a dog with bird shot to get it to sit on a whistle. AS

*"That you are confused is VERY APPARENT. Are you a politician as well as a FORMER pro dog trainer who QUIT because YOU think that the trial game is all wrong?"

Maybe he meant to say 12 months not 12 days!

Most that I have done take right around 3 week with some pushing 4 weeks.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

It's not a race!
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold