The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zinc Gluconate - Feet

Default Zinc Gluconate - Feet

Is it still the general consensus that zinc gluconate is good for our dogs pads? If so, how much and where did you get it? What brand? What ingredients do I need to look for in the pill as being good or bad? I looked at Whole Food and could not find it.

Jason

I checked out the "health food" dept at the supermarket and could not find anything labeled "zinc gluconate" ... only "zinc".

Is just plain zinc the same thing?

There have been RTF discussions on this before. I can't remember the dosage but I believe it is given daily for 4 or 5 weeks and then maybe every other day.

I asked my vet about it and she had heard of it being used for this purpose. She couldn't verify the effectiveness but said to her knowledge there were no side effects to worry about.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

The bottle I bought at Wallmarts is only labled Zinc. If you look at the ingredients list it says zinc gluconate. The pills are 50 mg and I give one a day with their evening meal. (as long as I'm giving it to the dogs, I take one myself too. Don't think it does anything for me but who knows?)

I've been only doing it for 4 months but the one with tender feet hasn't cut them on our ice yet. I'll have a better feeling if it helps or not by next spring.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    The bottle I bought at Wallmarts is only labled Zinc. If you look at the ingredients list it says zinc gluconate. The pills are 50 mg and I give one a day with their evening meal. (as long as I'm giving it to the dogs, I take one myself too. Don't think it does anything for me but who knows?)

I've been only doing it for 4 months but the one with tender feet hasn't cut them on our ice yet. I'll have a better feeling if it helps or not by next spring.
    So you're the one running around Alaska barefooted!

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

I will have to try that stuff
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

I would agree with the vet opinion mentioned.

I've heard of being used with good results, can't think of any potential harm used in the manner described.
    In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.

It was recommended to me by several on here and it worked for my hyper kennel runner. I forget the dose but i stopped giving it to her after about two months and no problems now.

Found the old post.
    IMO, the best pad toughner is from the inside out.
    Zinc Gluconate -- 50 mg a day for 4 - 6 weeks .... then three times a week.

thanks everyone. I just wanted to touch on this subject again to make sure there had not been some study done to say zinc was actually bad for dogs (well, I'm sure there is a study that says just that. There is a "study" that says pretty much anything you could think up).

My issue, at the one place I looked, was I could only find zinc picolinate and not gluconate. I'll keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by jtfreeman View Post
    thanks everyone. I just wanted to touch on this subject again to make sure there had not been some study done to say zinc was actually bad for dogs (well, I'm sure there is a study that says just that. There is a "study" that says pretty much anything you could think up).

My issue, at the one place I looked, was I could only find zinc picolinate and not gluconate. I'll keep looking.
    I friend picked it up for me at Tractor Supply I think