The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer bones for dogs: Cooked or Raw?

Default Deer bones for dogs: Cooked or Raw?

Being my first deer season as a dog owner, I was given the idea to give my dog some deer leg bones based on another dog owner in the group. I took 3 large femur bones and was told to put them on a grill for a bit before giving to the dog. Not so much that it turns brittle/ash but just to cook it for a bit.

Was wondering what the thoughts were of everybody here? I figure it'll give him something to do while I'm working in the garage (aka he will not be unsupervised).

Note: This is my first dog, I'm not a trainer, he will not be doing trials, he's a house dog that will be trained to find antler sheds. He is currently 8 months old.
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

If he hasn't had them before, he very well could get the squirts. Personally I would boil them for a few minutes.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    CH. Justa Gingersnap CGC - Ginger Shiba Inu

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Pretty sure cooked bones are much more apt to splinter. Gave mine raw deer bones for years without problems but have since switched to beef knuckles.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2012-2013 season log)

raw for sure... they do at times get the big D!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hall View Post
    Pretty sure cooked bones are much more apt to splinter. Gave mine raw deer bones for years without problems but have since switched to beef knuckles.

Yes they are. I just meant to boil just to get the tissue (if any left) cooked a bit. Nothing wrong with raw at all, just might help with any output.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    CH. Justa Gingersnap CGC - Ginger Shiba Inu

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

yeah I'm aware of the likely squirts issue. I'd only give it to him a short period of time. i know one of the bones has some extra meat on it.

just when he thought he couldn't love me anymore!!
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

A few years back I was helping a friend gut a deer. I saw some type of a worm swimming around in the blood. I mentioned it to my vet. I was wondering if it was a heart worm. He told me what it was, but I can't remeber. The point is, I would not give my dogs raw deer bones.

I give mine the whole foot (from the knee down), hoof, hair, and all. The next day only part of the leg bone will be left in the pen.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

I have been told that you can give most any bone to a dog if it isn't cooked, yes, including chicken bones. After all, when was the last time you saw the local fox walking off with one of your chickens to cook it over a fire before eating it?
    Kevin Entwistle

WGD (Worlds Greatest Dog) Cinci Redstocking "Loki", born: Jan. 22, 1999, RIP November 13, 2011
    "Lars" Chilian with the Rainmaker, born: Feb. 2, 2010

"That which you manifest is before you" (The Art of Racing in the Rain)

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Mine get them raw, they don't get them for along time and they are suppervised, and they occasionally have loose stools but nothing major.