The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ohio --- honests opinions needed...good and bad

Default Ohio --- honests opinions needed...good and bad

Hi, looking at potential move to Ohio. Would split work between Powell and Zanesville. Would live in between. Grew up in PA (eastern). Lived in Pgh for 7 yrs and so am familiar with latitude, but not specifics about weather, sunshine, rain, clouds, temps, quality of life, and of course dog stuff and hunting. Any and all comments---good and bad ---would be appreciated. Likely will be on interview end of month or early January. Thanks.

Don
    Rippling Waters Tupelo Honey "Tupelo". 28 Nov 2012
    HR Chesagrove's Mountain Peake WDX RN SH "Widgeon". 10 May 2007.
    Swamp Cypress Widgeon CD MX/MXJ/OAP/OJP "Cypress" (Cedar's daughter). 25 Sept 1992 - August 2007.
    Cedar Bay Cheddar CGC OA JH "Cedar" (The Chessie that started it all). 9 May 1990- 14 March 2004.

If you've lived in Pennsylvania you should like Ohio. There's lots of hunting and dog training, and no alligators...

Of course there's snow and winter, but it makes you appreciate the summers.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by torrentduck View Post
    Hi, looking at potential move to Ohio. Would split work between Powell and Zanesville. Would live in between. Grew up in PA (eastern). Lived in Pgh for 7 yrs and so am familiar with latitude, but not specifics about weather, sunshine, rain, clouds, temps, quality of life, and of course dog stuff and hunting. Any and all comments---good and bad ---would be appreciated. Likely will be on interview end of month or early January. Thanks.

Don
    The same as what you were used to in Pittsburgh.

Angie

Derry Pa Blackhawk's Southern Cross SH CD 9/22/93 - 7/15/08

Team Take Em LLC.
    4370 East Pike
    Zanesville, Oh. 43701
    (740) 819-2787
    joe@teamtakeem.com

Get a hold of Joe That's his neighbor hood. I am sure he will help you with your relocation. Also Ohio Valley RC, which Joe is also the president.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Team Take Em LLC.
    4370 East Pike
    Zanesville, Oh. 43701
    (740) 819-2787
    joe@teamtakeem.com

Get a hold of Joe That's his neighbor hood. I am sure he will help you with your relocation. Also Ohio Valley RC, which Joe is also the president.
    As Dale said I (Joe Dutro) live in Zanesville.
    The weather is about like Pittsburg as Angie said- Training of dogs slow down around mid November and we get started again in late Febuary. Mainly due to weather and DUCK SEASON.

As for training- Public- we have the Delaware WA (I almost never use it), TriValley WA (I use it all the time), and the new AEP Recreation Areas (I'll be using it ALLOT). I actually use allot of private grounds for my training. Hay fields and such. Most farmers around here are very open to dog training and so far I've never been denied permission.

The Ohio Valley RC is located in central Ohio and we hold 2 AKC HTs each year. In the spring we also do a OHQ. We hold training days once a month and a Singles Championship in the fall. And yes I am the current president.

Hunting-- Well is not the Mississippi Flyway. But we do OK. The nice part is Interestate 70 is the divid line for the South/ North Zones. So this year from Mid October until the end of January there is only 5 days that I cannot be duck/goose hunting. We shoot Mallards,tons of Woodies early, lots of Black Ducks, teal, Ringnecks, Gadwalls, Canada Geese are the most common. As for where-- Sorry I cannot say.

Living standards-- The closer you go to Columbus the more expensive it gets. What you could buy in Zanesville for $100,000 may cost you 150,000 near the big city.

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me,
    Joe
    Joe Dutro

Oakwood's Dora Duky Desire MH- (Dora) 3/3/03- 3/16/11
    Desire's Midnight Rose SH- (Rose) 1/29/08
    Desire's Big Launch MH (Rocket) 9/29/09
    Desire's Pine Ridge Lonesome Gus MH (Gus) 9/29/09

I grew up in Worthington, parts of which are adjacent to Powell. Lived there until about five years ago and still regularly visit family. What Don said about real estate is quite true, though I-70 traveling in or out from Zanesville to CMH is often a mess, particularly in the Reynoldsburg and Pickerington areas. On an average day, about an hour travel time from Powell-Zanesville swinging around I-270 to I-70.

Columbus does not receive nearly as much snow as areas about 45 miles north. The lake effects snow line usually stops around Mansfield, so you're far less likely to end up with that. Avg rainfall is usually in the 40" range if I remember. Quality of life is very nice. If you end up living in the CMH area, if you stay on the northern or eastern outskirts, you can be out in rural areas pretty quickly to train on private property. As Joe mentioned, the nearest public area is Delaware WMA, probably a half hour from central Powell. I wasn't hunting yet when living in CMH so I can't give you a whole lot of information on that side of things. There's a great trap/skeet/sporting clays and indoor shooting range about 20 min north of you named Blackwing. It's one of the nicest I've ever been in and the shotgun sports stations are immaculately maintained.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.
    SHR Madej's Cyanocobalamin (B)
    Don't ask about the name; it's a Boykin thing

Don,

After looking at your profile I think I understand where you might be working. The question becomes where are you going to spend most of your time working and do you mind driving?

There are good roads between both locations. If you want to live closer to dog training areas somewhere in Licking County might be a nice compromise. The closer to Zanesville/Muskingum County the more bang for your buck.

Hunting wise you will probably get more use from your beagles. There is some waterfowl hunting. Local ducks get educated quickly. There are good populations of local geese. Joe may see more birds migrating through the Muskingum flyway. I have a buddy that lives over that way and it sounds like he sees a lot more birds moving through than I do.

If you like to hunt deer it will be completely different. The deer are bigger and easier to hunt, they are much less spooky since there have more human contact. No rifle hunting. Limits are more restrictive. Turkey hunting is probably about the same.

Fishing is better than the hunting. It sounds like you may have access to some restricted ponds that have an excellent reputation.

Feel free to PM with any questions. I lived in Alachua Co. for four years in the late '80's.

Tom
    Tom Wall

Don,

Come up!!! Kona and I would love to train with you and Widgeon again!! I actually wish I had moved to Ohio instead of PA because there are more dog clubs there!! I actually got a new job closer to Ohio so may make the jump across the border myself. But either way the people are great and there are NO gators!! I will say it was pretty cold doing drills in 20 degree weather though this morning
    Nicole

Trained by:
    AKC CH pointed USJ HR U-GRCH Fish Dog's Playing in the Kona Surf MH CGC "Kona"
    WindyCanyon's Don't Stop Believin JH " Journey"- Heathen in training
    Folly Hill's Crazy Train @ Triple Threat " Ozzy"
    www.triplethreatretrievers.com

Thanks everyone. Seems from some of the responses and private messages that my personal info is too telling.....gonna have to tweak it a little :O

Everything is preliminary, but I want to be prepared if opportunity knocks. No idea of the likelihood of this at this point. A lot of stuff to figure out, but wanted to start somewhere.

Don
    Rippling Waters Tupelo Honey "Tupelo". 28 Nov 2012
    HR Chesagrove's Mountain Peake WDX RN SH "Widgeon". 10 May 2007.
    Swamp Cypress Widgeon CD MX/MXJ/OAP/OJP "Cypress" (Cedar's daughter). 25 Sept 1992 - August 2007.
    Cedar Bay Cheddar CGC OA JH "Cedar" (The Chessie that started it all). 9 May 1990- 14 March 2004.

You'll love Ohio if you're the type that never exceeds the speed limit. But go one MPH over the limit and BAM, it's ticket time!