The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ohio --- honests opinions needed...good and bad

Hunting around Zanesville is great...they have lions, tigers and bears oh my! Not to mention you could probably get that place they escaped from cheap! My sisters lives in Zanesville...not for me I like NC.

Banned

Well it depends on how much you trial or if you trial dogs????? Either AKC or UKC. Ohio is not a big hot spot for dog trials, so you may have to travel a bit. Just a thought to throw out there.

Quote Originally Posted by labman63 View Post
    Hunting around Zanesville is great...they have lions, tigers and bears oh my! Not to mention you could probably get that place they escaped from cheap! My sisters lives in Zanesville...not for me I like NC.
    Hey now-- They got all of those taken care of. Besides, who doesn't like a cougar hunting you down.
    Born and Bred in Zanesville Regards,
    Joe
    Joe Dutro

Oakwood's Dora Duky Desire MH- (Dora) 3/3/03- 3/16/11
    Desire's Midnight Rose SH- (Rose) 1/29/08
    Desire's Big Launch MH (Rocket) 9/29/09
    Desire's Pine Ridge Lonesome Gus MH (Gus) 9/29/09

Quote Originally Posted by splashers View Post
    Well it depends on how much you trial or if you trial dogs????? Either AKC or UKC. Ohio is not a big hot spot for dog trials, so you may have to travel a bit. Just a thought to throw out there.
    Trials yes. We are down to the OVRC OHQ in the spring, Fort Pitt and Buckeye. I'm sure there are others close but since I don't run FT I am unsure.

HT I disagree.OVRC has 2 AKC events a year, Hambden has 3-4 clubs running multiple events each year, Pittsburg (2 1/2 hours away) have 2 clubs running 2 events each year, Backwater (4 hours away) has 2 events each year, Fort Detroit, Marshbanks.

As for UKC I believe there are 4 UKC HT clubs in Ohio.

Joe
    Joe Dutro

Derry Pa Blackhawk's Southern Cross SH CD 9/22/93 - 7/15/08

Quote Originally Posted by Desire Dogs View Post
    Hey now-- They got all of those taken care of. Besides, who doesn't like a cougar hunting you down.
    Born and Bred in Zanesville Regards,
    Joe
    Careful Joe. Cougars can be bad for you health, especially when the wife finds out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Careful Joe. Cougars can be bad for you health, especially when the wife finds out.
    The wife is one!!!!
    Joe Dutro

It's a little cloudy. Okay, more than a little.

Er, well, the truth... December through mid-March you'll want to take a vitamin D supplement.

As for dogs... my own experience... a person with a job can usually fill most of his or her free time with retriever training or hunt tests, so I can't imagine it's not a perfectly good enough place to be, but I've never lived anywhere else with a dog and I don't train for field trials...

I live inside the loop. Most of my own training time is split evenly between urban soccer fields, the Delaware area, and east/Coshocton-ish.

Keep in contact with Joe and OVRC--he'll get you set up with good people.

Columbus is a very, very pleasant place to live.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by torrentduck View Post
    Hi, looking at potential move to Ohio. Would split work between Powell and Zanesville. Would live in between. Grew up in PA (eastern). Lived in Pgh for 7 yrs and so am familiar with latitude, but not specifics about weather, sunshine, rain, clouds, temps, quality of life, and of course dog stuff and hunting. Any and all comments---good and bad ---would be appreciated. Likely will be on interview end of month or early January. Thanks.

Don
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae_SxDnD2W4

Watch this video and it may help you choose

You'll see from the original posting that it has taken a few years, but I am back up North. Looking forward to new hunting opportunities and new dog training options as well (and no gators). Joe was nice enough to give me contact info and I am going to give you a ring Joe. Anyone know of club training days coming up soon? I am in Zanesville, but can travel. Thanks in advance.

Don Neiffer
    Rippling Waters Tupelo Honey "Tupelo". 28 Nov 2012
    HR Chesagrove's Mountain Peake WDX RN SH "Widgeon". 10 May 2007.
    Swamp Cypress Widgeon CD MX/MXJ/OAP/OJP "Cypress" (Cedar's daughter). 25 Sept 1992 - August 2007.
    Cedar Bay Cheddar CGC OA JH "Cedar" (The Chessie that started it all). 9 May 1990- 14 March 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by torrentduck View Post
    You'll see from the original posting that it has taken a few years, but I am back up North. Looking forward to new hunting opportunities and new dog training options as well (and no gators). Joe was nice enough to give me contact info and I am going to give you a ring Joe. Anyone know of club training days coming up soon? I am in Zanesville, but can travel. Thanks in advance.

Don Neiffer

Hey Don Welcome back!!! I am up in the Heath area now. OVRC has a club training day this coming Sunday combined with our clean up. Would love to see you and Widgeon again!
    Nicole

Trained by:
    AKC CH pointed USJ HR U-GRCH Fish Dog's Playing in the Kona Surf MH CGC "Kona"
    WindyCanyon's Don't Stop Believin JH " Journey"- Heathen in training
    Folly Hill's Crazy Train @ Triple Threat " Ozzy"
    www.triplethreatretrievers.com