The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Training a retreiver puppy by Hillmann ?

just out of curiosity? what are the other peices of the complete set?

I thought it was a great DVD to use some of the begining techniques on your pup. Much different approach. Because it was much different it was hard for me to apply and fit in my humble program, but I did manage to use some techniques on my youngest, Chief. I guess I had a set way of training my pups already. Most of what I learned came from Lori Jolly's book Motivational Training for the Field. Hillman's key goal is to Build desire into the pup to retrieve. It is for pups. I still think you need to move on to Lardy's, Voigt's or Stawski's DVD's and Lori's book for more training techniques and concepts.These are my 4 main DVDs I continuously refer to!! Hillman's is well worth viewing however. I confess I rented it through BowWow as I have already over bought this year on DVDs but will purchase it yet to add to my library.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

The link is www.bowwowflix.com

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    I thought it was a great DVD to use some of the begining techniques on your pup. Much different approach. Because it was much different it was hard for me to apply and fit in my humble program, but I did manage to use some techniques on my youngest, Chief. I guess I had a set way of training my pups already. Most of what I learned came from Lori Jolly's book Motivational Training for the Field. Hillman's key goal is to Build desire into the pup to retrieve. It is for pups. I still think you need to move on to Lardy's, Voigt's or Stawski's DVD's and Lori's book for more training techniques and concepts.These are my 4 main DVDs I continuously refer to!! Hillman's is well worth viewing however. I confess I rented it through BowWow as I have already over bought this year on DVDs but will purchase it yet to add to my library.
    My impression is that it is much more focused on teaching a pup to sit and earn the retrieve than other approaches. I have not watched the entire DVD as I did not have a pup. Every time I have started watching it, I end up waking up around an hour later.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    My impression is that it is much more focused on teaching a pup to sit and earn the retrieve than other approaches. I have not watched the entire DVD as I did not have a pup. Every time I have started watching it, I end up waking up around an hour later.
    Get a pup that will keep you awake. I think my pup has watched the whole DVD from my lap..She seemed to enjoy it..
    It actually is much more in depth and introduces the pup to many different aspects which make advanced work that much easier.. Think of it as a head start program.

I asked the question earlier, but appologize that I didn't quite understand the answer. What all does the video teach. I will find out soon, but was wondering what will the dog be capable of at the completion. What sort of commands does he introduce? What obedience is tought?

Quote Originally Posted by arklahunter View Post
    I asked the question earlier, but appologize that I didn't quite understand the answer. What all does the video teach. I will find out soon, but was wondering what will the dog be capable of at the completion. What sort of commands does he introduce? What obedience is tought?
    So first thing Hillman says is there are 3 things you want your pup to do: 1. chase something, 2.walk on a line and he does not mean heeling perfectly 3. teach him to sit. As I said he wants to pup to develop desire. Hillman stresses patience, kindness and understanding. There is plenty of obedience in each session. Usually he did these sessions with the pup in the morning when the pup was ready to go and only once a day. He says it is important the pup learns to become a family member rest of the day. The sessions are not stressful to the dog. Stresses you should be persistent with the command "sit". There were 28 days of training as I remember. The pup is taught sit, and while the pup is sitting and as the pup progresses you start to walk around the pup (maintaining sit) and walk further away from the pup and he becomes more steady. I practiced this with my pup and it works well, but you have to be persistent and consistent. Alot of praise goes with each session. He introduces pup to water, water marks, heeling both sides, practice sit with a bumper, introduced the pup to a clipped wing, and teaches you his term traffic cop where he keeps the pup from retrieving then gives the okay to retrieve, starts on Day 10 "hold" , does baby doubles, Day 21 Force Fetch with E collar on low (Ecollar has been on well before this), uses a bird boy to throw and shoot. I used the traffic cop but learned this from Voigt's DVD where he teaches stand alones while you go out and throw. Hillman comes back into his dog, praises him for a good job and then go back out (trafic cop) and sends him. Whole idea to teach steadiness. Works well!
    Excellent DVD and I am not going to tell you much more, but it is worthwhile viewing. And this is my translation of what I viewed. Like I said I am going to get the DVD to add to my library. Praise is a big part of the teaching! Good luck
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Mary Lynn!

That was an excellent synopsis!!!

DVD is worth every penny.

I think it teaches "a way of life" ,,and the dog doesnt even know its learning.
    Its an excellent DVD
    What I liked is it is actual 28 days of training. There are no staged set-ups, remakes or edits. Its what happened THAT DAY.

There is also no boring lecture time. Its all watchin a puppy progress(very well i might add) in a 28 day time period.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Just curious, but would the end result of the program be considered a started dog? If not what would constitute a started dog. I am new to this so I have more Q's than answers at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by arklahunter View Post
    Just curious, but would the end result of the program be considered a started dog? If not what would constitute a started dog. I am new to this so I have more Q's than answers at this point.
    What constitutes a started dog varies greatly depending on who you ask. Try searching for other threads.

Some folks call a started dog one that can heel to the line on lead, is lead steady (you hold collar or lead), do simple single retrieves on land and water, will deliver to the area of the line. These are the basic requirements for an HRC Started Title. AKC Junior Hunter requirements are similar except require delivery to hand and now require heeling to line off lead. So there are some folks that would call this a started dog.

Others, including myself, would think more in terms of a dog that has been through basics and is doing some basic handling.