The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Training a retreiver puppy by Hillmann ?

In my opinion,,,,

I think a puppy at the end of that Video is a puppy that is ready( Very well prepared) for structured FORMAL training.
    In other words,, a puppy that an owner that may be sending a puppy to a Pro would be able to hold their head high and say they had worked some with the PUP.
    Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 12-25-2011 at 10:40 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I am not sure what you mean by formal training. I have read waterdog and a watched a couple of dvd's but they seem to general and basically say get the dog to do this and that, but not really a step by step process so I am hoping that Hillman's video will be better. I am not quite familiar with the terminology. What constitutes informal training. I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I hear those terms bantered around, but not quite sure what they mean.
    Last edited by arklahunter; 12-25-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    In my opinion,,,,

I think a puppy at the end of that Video is a puppy that is ready( Very well prepared) for structured FORMAL training.
    In other words,, a puppy that an owner that may be sending a puppy to a Pro would be able to hold their head high and say they had worked some with the PUP.
    Gooser
    Agree Gooser.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I guess I may be asking too generalized question. I have seen entire training programs for the price of the Hillman video. Seems like a pretty high price to pay to just get a dog ready to send to the trainer. Since I have decided to train myself and with the help of some other experienced individuals it's a high price for a video that teaches a dog to sit. What makes the video so special? And what is formal training? I assume that many have done this without a trainer so what do you suggest after the hillman video other than just sending the dog to a trainer.
    Last edited by arklahunter; 12-26-2011 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arklahunter View Post
    I guess I may be asking too generalized question. I have seen entire training programs for the price of the Hillman video. Seems like a pretty high price to pay to just get a dog ready to send to the trainer. Since I have decided to train myself and with the help of some other experienced individuals it's a high price for a video that teaches a dog to sit. What makes the video so special? And what is formal training? I assume that many have done this without a trainer so what do you suggest after the hillman video other than just sending the dog to a trainer.
    To answer your question "What makes the video so special?", especially if you are going to train the dog yourself, is that Bill's method creates a new understanding in the dog's mind of the 'sit' command.

Using Bill's method of teaching the 'sit' command properly to your pup from day 1 will eliminate the need for you to visit the RTF forum and search for this word.....CREEPING!

That one fact is worth its weight in gold!

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I am not sure what you mean by formal training. I have read waterdog and a watched a couple of dvd's but they seem to general and basically say get the dog to do this and that, but not really a step by step process so I am hoping that Hillman's video will be better. I am not quite familiar with the terminology. What constitutes informal training. I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I hear those terms bantered around, but not quite sure what they mean.
    Formal training......Smartworks flow chart....or you can look at Lardy's on the banner add at the top of the page.

http://www.rushcreekpress.com/flowchart.html

Let's support some of our RTF Sponsors here........

Mike Lardy's flow chart has been a standard for most successful retriever trainers for years

http://www.totalretriever.com/index....=72&Itemid=102

Bill Hillmann posts free video clips on YouTube often at

http://www.youtube.com/user/hawkeyemedianet

Train for success by following programs that are successful!

Thanks Tammy!

I suggest you get the Hillman DVD then add to it with Lardy, Stawski or Voigt's DVD or whatever you think will assist you. No one can really tell you exactly what is best for you and your dog but there is lots of assistance which ever way you go. The DVD is a high price to pay but worth it just because of the approach used! If price too high for you rent from BowWow. Complimenting Hillman's DVD would be another which goes onto formal obedience, training your dog for advanced work and then further advanced work. I would also suggest you find somewhere that they train obedience in a class setting. This usually is good and assists you plus your pup gets to work in a settting with other dogs. The real fun of having your own pup is training him from the begining to the end IMHO but you have to be dedicated or just send him to the pro from the outset before bad habits develop or you run into problems. Good luck.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

What I'm getting from this thread is that a high roller would be the perfect candidate for this program. Correct? When they are a pup of course.